Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mjmomma83

VBAC

Mjmomma83

So any moms have a VBAC with T1d? What did you do to ensure success? How did your doctors feel about it? How hard did you have to fight your doctor to attempt a trial of labor? Type 1's only please.

coob

I have a question - Being new to diabetes, what problems are present during pregnancy/birth which are unique to those with T1?

thanks!

Bountyman

I have a question - Being new to diabetes, what problems are present during pregnancy/birth which are unique to those with T1?

thanks!

Instead of highjacking someone else's thread...you should start your own.

coob

Bounty - I am sorry if I've ever done anything to offend you.    The reason i was asking is I have had two VBAC's and thought I might have something helpful to share with MJmomma.    

Bountyman

Bounty - I am sorry if I've ever done anything to offend you.    The reason i was asking is I have had two VBAC's and thought I might have something helpful to share with MJmomma.    

First, you've never done anything to offend me. Second, your question had no mention of VBAC in it. Last, your question was a generality...not directed to MJmomma.

Look, I'm not the discussion police here. My suggestion was just that...a suggestion.

moneymeister

I am not T1 but I decided not to try a VBAC.  Granted it was 20 years ago, but I didn't want a repeat of the first emergency c-section.  

Amberlady

I don't really know much about type 1 diabetes, but I'm fairly knowledgeable about VBAC. I had an HBAC myself just 2 years ago. And the only thing I can say is that if there aren't any reasons you couldn't give birth vaginally before your c-section, then it's very likely you shouldn't have any additional limitations after a c-section. In MOST cases, it is safer to have a VBAC. However, doctors don't always see it this way. So your first task would be to find a doctor who is very supportive of VBAC in general. That can be the hardest part. Maybe check the ACOG website to see if they have any statements or recommendations for type 1 diabetics. Good luck!

Mjmomma83

So, problems that present with t1d and pregnancy is a big baby. And when I say a big baby I mean that the weight is disproportionate. A baby to a t1d mom has most their weight in the torso increasing the likelihood of shoulder distocia. Also there is a higher likelihood of still birth after 38 wks bc of the insulin aging the placenta faster. During the second trimester mom also becomes very insulin resistant, I had to increase my basalt by 50% almost. I have heard of only 3 women having VBAC with t1d.

coob

Mjmomma - thank you for responding to my question.  As you had requested advice only from T1's, I felt it was important for me to understand the issues surrounding a VBAC for those with T1, in order assess whether or not my personal experiences as a T2 could be of benefit to you.  Though I had big babies, I was not diagnosed with GB.   After a coerced c-section with my fourth child, I opted for homebirth with my last two babies, both VBAC's and wonderful experiences.  Having said that, with the risks which you have explained to me (thank you again - I'm still learning about all this stuff) I would be hesitant to do a VBAC, unless the placenta looks healthy.  Regarding shoulder dystocia, my second baby broke his collar bone during delivery, as he was a broad-shouldered boy.  He healed perfectly in 12 days.   But these are serious concerns and I certainly understand your desire to be wise.   Don't know you, but am praying for a safe, healthy and happy birth!   

Elizabeth_

Hi! I've been away from the forum for a while, but I'm a pregnant t1d and was open to a VBAC for this birth. But the doctors recommended against it and I'll be having another c-section. Their reasons were that 1) babies of diabetics are larger, even when sugars are well controlled (they said) and 2) my daughter and I both had an infection last time, which is why we ended up with the emergency c-section. Apparently there are some recent, convincing studies that showed that if the patient had an infection at the time of the c-section, they are more likely to have damaged tissue that won't hold up for a VBAC. Add on top of that the expected large baby (I'm not totally convinced my baby will be abnormally large — my a1c is 5.5 and the last ultrasound had this baby at the 50th percentile) and every doctor in my pro-VBAC practice was convinced that I needed a c-section. 

So, bottom line is that the reasons for your previous c-section can greatly influence whether you're a good candidate for a VBAC. And I'm sure the ultrasounds will give your doctors plenty of info on whether they think the baby is "too big."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.