Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adiantum

Community Spirit

adiantum

I was reading  the testimonials  & a  post from davef really stood out, as like he, after all these years we still remember the welcome we received .

Dave said "........As for welcoming newbies, I try my best to welcome and help new people, I just remember the state I was when I was diagnosed so do my best to help somebody who are in that situation."

Df  has become very important to me & I often reflect on how uncertain of my future I was feeling when I first joined .

It was within a few minutes that strangers actually took their time to welcome me to the forum

If they hadn't replied so quickly maybe I would've taken flight & not returned. Then as time progressed , so did the welcome parade.

It was wonderful !! I no longer felt alone & those welcoming members actually made me feel safe as they dispelled the doom & gloom that had been set up on me by the DE.

I still feel those warm fuzzies when I read the welcoming posts you guys make when a new member joins us.

Its to you guys that I say Thank You   and  please keep up the good work .

The quicker the reply the better, remember how vulnerable a newbie  could be

Even if it's just a simple post of Welcome.. it will mean a lot to someone just embarking on their d journey.

It's you guys that make this such a fantastic community .

davef

I was reading  the testimonials  & a  post from davef really stood out, as like he, after all these years we still remember the welcome we received .

Dave said "........As for welcoming newbies, I try my best to welcome and help new people, I just remember the state I was when I was diagnosed so do my best to help somebody who are in that situation."

I still remember the welcome, the help, the caring support when I first joined. It was hard to believe that people I didn't know where reaching out to help calm me and let me know that everything would be ok.

Now, nearly 7 years later, I know that even when I've stumbled and fallen, that a key part for getting back on track is getting back on the forums. Some of the people I "met" 7 years ago are no longer active, many still are, but no matter who is active I know I can come here be honest and get non-judgemental support.

These forums and are the bee's knees.

princesslinda

I think after several years, diabetes becomes just another "normal" for us as far as our daily management.  This being the case, it is sometimes easy to forget how it felt when we were first given that diagnosis.  I remember being almost paralyzed by fear when the nurse called me and said "you've got diabetes", as I saw my mom suffer and ultimately die from complications of uncontrolled diabetes.  I found the forums about 3 months into my diagnosis, and was welcomed by some of the most friendly and compassionate individuals i've ever "met."  My "faceless friends" made me realize that my life was still good, they taught me how to eat to my meter, convinced me I was strong enough to take control and avoid following in the footsteps of my mom.

Over the last 8 years, I've seen many forum members come and go, but the welcoming spirit of our forums still remains, and I hope it always continues to be this way.

To all the new members that I may have missed welcoming, you are indeed welcome, we're glad you are a part of Diabetes Forums!  We've all been where you are now, new and anxious.  Please let us help you the way so many have helped us over the years.

Seagal

I agree with you guys!  I was looking over some spreadsheets I made when I was first diagnosed and how depressing it was to have such high fasting and PP numbers.  Without the friends I had made here it would have been devastating.  It is always good to remember how it was when we might have been having a hard time when we welcome new friends into the group.  I am always pleased when I read the welcomes that are posted.

Lee, what a good and generous thread, thank you!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.