Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sjlw1974

Not sure what to think. Would like your opinions

sjlw1974

My son is 12 yrs old.  Slightly overweight, maybe 10 lbs.

His Father was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 24 yrs old.  He is deceased now.  Died when he was 42 yrs old.

I have noticed recently that my son tells me nearly everyday that he doesnt feel well.  He will say his head feels weird and he feels sick.  Yesterday (Sunday) I noticed he was going to the bathroom a lot.  I started paying attention and I heard him urinate 5 times in an hour.  He also drinks powerade a lot.  Not sure if he is always thirsty, or just likes to have a drink all the time, urinates so much because he drinks a lot.  Not sure if they are related to diabetes or just coincidence.  Also my Brothers son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 9 years old.  My nephew was having A LOT of behavior problems at home and at school that they later attributed to his illness.  The doctors thought that his behavior issues would decrease once he got the condition under control.  I can't recall how that turned out as it was a long time ago.  He is 30 yrs old now. 

Anyone experience this as well?

Anyway,

I started putting all these things together and now I am worried.  I get mixed info online about type 1 diabetes being hereditary. Many say it is not and does not increase a childs risk but then some say that it does.

I can and will purchase a blood meter and monitor it at home for a few days but I'm concerned about his reaction.  He is like me and worries excessively and has an overactive imagination.  I don't want to get him worried.

I guess I'm searching for what other parents started noticing about their children that lead to their diagnoses.  I'm not sure what to ask the Doctor to do.  I live in a small town, very rural area of the State and I find that often times the area Doctors will either skip over some things or forget or overlook, I'm not sure, but I want to be sure that all the blood tests and other tests that need to be done do in fact get done.

What symptoms did you experience?  Other things maybe that I'm not picking up on?  I don't want to get too excited and rush him to the doctor and get him worried needlessly.

I would appreciate any info, suggestions, responses, stories...anything.

Thank you!

rubidoux

If you can test his blood sugar, I think there's a great likelihood that you'll know after one test. If he's got t1 it'll prob be really high, like 3 or 400 or more and if he doesn't it'll probly be 85 or 90.

Do you know if he's getting up to pee during the night a lot? And drinking during the night? I was dx'd later, at 23, but the was extreme for me. The nighttime peeing seemed way more dramatic than the daytime.

Weight loss can also be a clue, especially if it's sudden of extreme and he's been eating a lot.

My other major symptom was a yeast infection I couldn't get rid of, obviously not likely for your son, but if he's had strange infections that are hard to get rid of of come back...

But with young people, I believe t1 is more likely to come on cry quickly. If he starts throwing up or breathing shallow/rapidly and/or becomes lethargic, I'd call doc or take him to urgent care.

I hope it turns out to be nothing.

ETA: I'm sorry to ask you this, but would you mind sharing what happened to his dad? Was it diabetes related? :( If you don't want to discuss it, just ignore me.

Uff Da

With him urinating that frequently and with a family history of type 1, I'd get that glucose monitor today and start checking as soon as he gets home from school today.  You don't have to let him know just how worried you are.  At first you could approach it as just a precaution.  And hopefully, that's all it will be. But if the reading is very high, don't waste time about getting him to a doctor.  Children can sometimes go into DKA rather quickly compared to many adults, so if you are getting readings over 200, make it clear to the doctor's office you call that the child has a family history of type 1 and you need an appointment ASAP before it becomes an emergency.

princesslinda

I'd get him in to see his pediatrician as soon as possible.  Diabetes or not, his symptoms aren't "normal."

jwags

I would schedule a complete physical. It could be diabetes or maybe something else. Even children now are getting type 2. While tyoe 1 may be genetic I think it is a 25% chance of passing it on. Also there is something called MODY diabeties which is a genetic version that runs in families. So you may want to check for the different genetic markers.

Mikegibbo

These are textbook symptoms of Type 1 - I agree - even a pediatrician will be able to detect if it is Type 1 - quick.

cdngoose

Youtube has many informational videos on diabetes symptoms type 1 or type 2. I'd take him to see his pediatrician for a check up.

GAgirl

Powerade is loaded with sugar and if he has any intolerance at all it may be shooting his sugar sky high. Please take him to be tested . Better safe than sorry. You sound like a good mom! Good-luck and knowing that you are already an aware person I know he will be in great hands . Welcome as well to the forum. Please keep us informed as to how it goes. 

Bountyman

He also drinks powerade a lot.

If it's the regular Powerade (made by Coca~Cola)...that contains about 21g of sugar. Trying to get him to switch to something else that has no sugar might be somewhat of a struggle. Powerade does make a sugar-free version of 6 of their 9 flavors. Powerade Zero (w/sucralose [splenda]). You might try that to eventually wean him off sweat drinks. Sweets are hard to quit. Even the grownups here obsess over sugar substitutes.

Good luck... :top:

miketurco

Get him in for blood tests. Don't have to go to the doctor, you can order your own tests here http://www.privatemdlabs.com/lab_tests.php?view=all throughout most of the U.S. I'm not saying don't go to a doctor, just suggesting a faster way to get some info. Get the A1C test.

You can also buy an A1C kit from Walmart and run your own test, but the results take a week or so to come back. (I haven't tried this myself.) The kit is something like $6, so if money/insurance is an issue, this is a path you can take.

The bg meter is a good idea. If his bg is really high, you'll know something is wrong. There's a chance, though, that your son has a sugar problem that you can miss with a simple bg test.

Godspeed and Gd Bless!

moneymeister

Save your money on that Walmart test. It brought back a crazy number for both me and darling daughter. It said she had a 6...she just tested at 5.2. Said I had a high reading too (dont remember what). An A1c (instant) test showed my normal 6.3.

sjlw1974

Thanks everyone so much for replying. I have went ahead and made an appt with a pediatrician in a near city. I did talk to him about it and explained some of the process. I told him that i was just planning to have him monitored periodically as a precaution because of so much family history. He seems ok with that idea though he is worried about needles. He has never really been ill in his life. We did have some testing done several years ago because he was having headaches and nausea. But i think they only checked his eyes and did a brain scan. All was well and the doctor suggested it was diet related. I kick myself that i didnt think then to have him tested for diabetes. Wish him luck and if you pray please remember him. Diabetes is a battle i watched his Dad go thru for many years. I wish it on know one.

Someone ask how his Dad died.

His Dad did not die of diabetes itself. He did however choose to die because he didnt want to deal with it anymore. He had many many health problems as a result of the disease. He was losing his eye sight. At the time he died he was diagnosed with an infection around his heart that he said could be fatal. He had no feeling in his feet for years yet had horrible diabetic nurve pain. He was in constant pain. When he died he had lost weight from 190 down to 127 lbs. Let me also add that he did not take care of himself. He did not eat right at all. Liked to drink alcohol more frequently than he probably should have. Was needing far too many shots everyday and was failing to respond to insulin as he had in the past. He never got his diabetes to a managed state. He was way high or way low multiples times every single day. I took him to the er more times than i can recall and when they checked his blood having a reading over 600 was not uncommon. Several times the meter would read HIGH with no number. They would take blood and test it and find the numbers to be accurate. I cant tell you how many times er doctors told me that he should be in a coma. The advice was always the same. Monitor more closely. Eat better. Exercise more. He just wouldnt do what he was told to do. Finally he gave up. He said he was tired of being sick and tired. Of course depression is also a risk with diabetes.

I would suggest no one ever allow depression to go untreated. If you feel desperate, alone and want to give up, tell your doctor. Make sure your family knows your disease and the risks so when they pick up on little things they can be a help to you. I didnt know enough about the disease at the time. He always down played it to me telling me doctors overreact because they have to. This was also back when we didnt have internet in every home, on our phones and no tablets back then. I didnt have easy access to info and people like i do now.

Wow i said a lot. Apologies. I guess i just want anyone reading this to know that everyone has an obligation to learn about the disease and encourage good habits. It cant just be left to the person with the diagnoses. I wish i had made myself learn more and do more.

Thanks everyone...and btw, i have ask him to chill out on the powerades until we see the doctor. I have noticed a decrease of bathroom visits. He also says he doesnt get up at night and go...praying I'm just an overly worried Mom.

Kit

Given the family history, you have every right to be a worried mom.

I am very sorry for what you went through.  It must have been utterly heart breaking and I'll keep my fingers crossed that its nothing more than a boy who adores Powerade.  :)

princesslinda

Sounds like you have a plan in place.  Please let us know how  his visit with the doctor goes.  I'm sorry for all you've had to go through with your husband, and I know you're worried about your son.  I tend to deal with things by determining the "worst case scenario" and figuring how i'd manage.  If your son has diabetes, we're here to help you in any way we can. It/Diabetes doesn't have to be a death sentence, but it is a life sentence, and how we deal with it affects our quality of life now and in the future.  You and your son will be a team, a team that if need be can successfully deal with diabetes and it's management if you have to  do so. 
Hang in there.

honeybee7596

Your being an awesome mom.  I have diabetes myself and noticed my daughter at 2 years old was drinking more than normal.  I immediately tested her sugar and it was over 300mg.   Having a plan in place and being proactive is a great place to start.  You and your son will be a great team!!!

Stl-T2

Thanks for sharing the story of his dad.  I'm fairly new to Diabetes and sometimes it helps to be reminded why one needs to stay vigilant.  Hugs to you for all you've been through.  I hope everything turns out ok with your son.

rubidoux

I didn't see this earlier, but wanted to thank you for telling us what happened to his dad.  I'm so sorry you had to go through all that with him, and that he did, too.  And I hope your son is doing well!

Deborah233

Fantastic post, I will certainly digg it and in my view recommend to my friends. I'm confident they'll be benefited from this forum.

ant hill

Go and See a Doctor and ask about get a C-Peptide and a GAD 65 test on him. Or get these tests done in the ER.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.