Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

randian

How do nutrition labels treat brines or other sauces?

randian

Consider a jar of bread & butter pickles. Somewhat sweet, ~5-7g carbs per serving, most of it in the brine since pickles themselves are a very low carb thing. Now I know a bunch of that sugar is in the brine, but I don't know if the "serving" assumes you're drinking all that brine along with eating the pickles. A coating of brine would be a minimal level of carbs.

Orlando

For many products, its mentioned that the nutritional values refer to contents after draining off the liquids. I have seen this on cans of olives in brine and even sprats in oil. I would think that serving assumes that you are NOT drinking the liquids.

People are also interested to know how much netto product they are purchasing, that would be another reason for the above notation.

randian

Unfortunately the label in question doesn't say one way or the other, so I'll assume the serving includes whatever minimal level of brine coats the pickle.

samuraiguy

This is a testing thing, but I personally would count every carb they have listed per portion size to be safe and is one of the reasons I make my own Splenda bread and butter pickles and relishes--most sauces too.

dowling gram

Consider a jar of bread & butter pickles. Somewhat sweet, ~5-7g carbs per serving, most of it in the brine since pickles themselves are a very low carb thing. Now I know a bunch of that sugar is in the brine, but I don't know if the "serving" assumes you're drinking all that brine along with eating the pickles. A coating of brine would be a minimal level of carbs.

I'm a long time pickle maker. Brine does not contain carbs. It is salt and water. The sugar comes in to play when you pour off the brine--which makes the pickles crisp and add the vinegar,sugar and spices. Since these are absorbed into the cucumbers you can't separate the 2.

Since I only make pickles occasionally now I have a jar of bicks yum yum pickles in my fridge. The label plainly states--at the top--per 7 slices and down further 7 carbs from sugar.

If you like bread and butter pickles make your own. Here's an easy recipe that can't have more than a couple of carbs in the whole jar

MICROWAVE BREAD AND BUTTER PICKLES

1 large cucumber, about 10-12 ounces *

1 small onion, sliced thin, 2 1/2 ounces

1/2 cup white vinegar

1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon mustard seed

1/4 teaspoon celery seed

1/4 teaspoon turmeric

1 pint canning jar with lid

Slice the cucumber into 1/4-inch thick slices. Mix all of the ingredients in an 8-cup glass measuring cup or microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 8 minutes, stirring twice, until crisp-tender. The pickles should be translucent, but not too soft. Rinse the canning jar with very hot water to prevent cracking, then spoon the pickles into jar. Pour all of the liquid over the pickles. Cool, cover, then chill well. Store in the refrigerator.

Makes 1 pint or about 8 servings

randian

The pickles I was looking at were Famous Dave's Devil's Spit pickles. They have real heat which is why I liked them, but I can't eat them by the forkful anymore. Could you add things like chili peppers or horseradish to the brine to amp up the pickles without jacking up the carbs?

3flourmix

Hello @randian I don't eat major carbs, but I don't count anything and it works out fine for me.  

As my weight has come down my carb tolerance has gone up. Maybe you should check what your carb tolerance currently is - you might get a surprise.

dowling gram

The pickles I was looking at were Famous Dave's Devil's Spit pickles. They have real heat which is why I liked them, but I can't eat them by the forkful anymore. Could you add things like chili peppers or horseradish to the brine to amp up the pickles without jacking up the carbs?

Sure--add a hot pepper to the microwave bread and butter pickles or add pepper flakes. If you use a fresh hot pepper I'd slice it into a few pieces so the flavor is distributed through all the pickles. Since the most heat in hot peppers is in the skin and seeds you can leave in the seeds or remove them depending on the heat you want. Adding 1 pepper won't add much to the carbs

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.