Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BeckieLynn55

Large babies :/

BeckieLynn55

I'm 31 weeks and just had an ultrasound where they told me that my baby is in the 95th percentile. My A1Cs have been under 6.0 and I have some bad days just due to the rapid changes in insulin needs but nothing too dramatic.

If you've had children already, were your children large due to your diabetes? How did it turn out in the end and the health of your children after birth? Did you need to get a c-section?

I thought I was doing so well but feel pretty terrible right now thinking that my diabetes is hurting my baby. Anyone get a report of a large baby and we're able to make any progress back towards normal?

Note: I was an average size baby and my husband was closer to the 70th percentile at birth... Neither this large so it's probably not genetics.

rubidoux

I'm sorry you're feeling bad about this. If your a1cs are around six, you really can't blame yourself. And you don't know about the genetics thing. My kids are both really short even though I'm a little shorter than avg (no where near as short as them) and their dad is 6'1". They both seem to be taking after my father. And Mil0 was born w red hair even though the only red hair on either side was my mother's father's mother.

Also, weight estimates from ultrasound are notorious for being off. The day before aug1e was born I had an u/s that estimated his weight at 10 pounds even. I was terrified, but he turned out to be 8 lb 13 oz.

I think it's possible that Aug was a little big b/c of high blood sugars late in the pregnancy, but I'm not sure that's the case and it is water under the bridge at this point. I am onto bigger and better mommy mistakes to beat myself up about. Had my first been big I probably would not have taken it in stride, but by the second time around you are under no illusion that you can be a perfect mom.

mom24grlz

Not diabetic, but also agree weights can be off on u/s a week before Ashleigh's birth it was estimated that she weighed 9.5 lbs. I was freaking out! I had her and she was 7lbs 14oz. My smallest baby. Biggest was Emely at 8lbs 14oz. She did have low blood sugar at birth. She breasted a little, but it didn't bring her numbers up enough so they gave her some sugar water. They came in periodically throughout the hospital stay to check her blood sugar, but other than the initial sugar water she never needed anything else.

It sounds like you have a good A1C :) hopefully everything goes well and you labor/ delivery is up eventful.

coob

I had six babies- the smallest was 9 lb.4 oz.   I did not have GB and my babies were perfectly healthy.  Your body is made to deliver a baby - trust it.   I've known women who delivered 7 pound babies with huge heads - I think they had a harder time than I did!  :-)      You'll be fine.

jwags

They told my DIL that she would have a large baby too. He was born at 6lbs 4 oz. So they are usually wrong. Some diabetic women who have high bgs may have babies over 10 lbs. If that is the case they may want to induce you early to prevent the baby from gaining those last weeks. I was not diabetic when my babies were born and they were between 5.2 and 7.8.

funkynassau

I have 2 kids, 31 and 27.  Miss 31 was 9 lbs 7 ors, born 2 days early.  I have no idea if I had diabetes back then, I dont actually think I did.  Mr. 27 was 9 lbs 6 ozs and three weeks early!    After he was born a doctor asked me if I had gestational diabetes.  I said I had no idea, never was checked for it.  So perhaps when son was born I did have gestational diabetes...I'll never know.

Both kids are perfectly fine, son was technically a preemie being born 3 wks early, he looked rather silly in the incubator as compared to the tiny preemies.  He's now 6'3" tall and healthy as a horse.

He was a c-section baby because the labour did not progress as it should have because he was early.  He was getting into distress and so the c section became necessary.

BeckieLynn55

Thank you everyone for the responses. Made me feel a ton better! :) I'm doing all that I can... maybe I could go low-carb, but my blood sugars have been pretty great. So, I appreciate the positive stories and I'm hoping my son will be healthy although larger! Or maybe he actually won't be large after all!

Tanikit

Both my girls were 8 pounds 6 ounces at birth - the first was born naturally after induction, the second was a C-section but that was because her heart rate kept diving during the contractions. I was a twin so I was obviously a lot smaller than that (born at 38 weeks just like my children). My children were larger than they would have been had I not been diabetic - they fell on those growth curves quite severely after birth and I was constantly having to argue with nurses that they shouldn't have started where they did and that they were just fine and were growing - even if not as fast as expected. 

Lizzie G

Hi

First off:  try not to worry.  Second off:  try to separate cause and effect.  Do your best with your control, but dont blame yourself that you havent done a good enough job.  I know that is hard, but really, its not worth it.

My first baby was the textbook 50th centile baby right through my pregnancy.  My control was very tight throughout, less than 5.5 in the third trimester.  the flip side of that was that i put on an awful lot of weight as i tended to run low and "eat up" if you know what i mean.  He was 7 pounds and 8 oz at 39+5, 2 days off his due date.  I had a vaginal delivery, but an awful one (nothing to do with size, or diabetes).

My second baby was a different story.  My control was also tight, my HbA1C was 5.8 every single time it was tested (weird!).  He looked big from early days.  at my 28 week scan he was around the 90th centile i think and the diabetes doctor was quizzing me as to what spikes were occuring between my 12 or so readins a day and so on.  the obstetrician was a little more pragmatic and when i told her both my mother and my mother in law had large babies (my mum is very slim, not diabetic and had 4 babies, me the lightest at 7 pounds 9, and then ranging through to over 10) and realised he was just a large person.  I also insisted upon not being induced early and my second son was born at 41 weeks weighing 9 pounds 4.  as the midwives said:  hes not "diabetic big", hes "big".  I had a wonderful birth experience, much easier than the first and i was much less damaged in the process.  Also, my mother maintains that my 10 and a half pound brother, was by far the easiest delivery.

i think the reason they can get concerned is not just the size, but sometimes the mothers that have giant babies have had less good control, so the babies can be big, but also have under developed lungs and so on.  If your control is good, and your baby is on the large size, im sure there is nothing to worry about.  medics can be very alarmist when it comes to diabetes, try to keep cool, if they are suggesting something you are not comfortable with (early induction, c section etc) ask for specific reasons and argue your case and dont allow yourself to be subjected to medical procedures that are there because of their standard diabetes protocol.  remember that as much as they can make it feel like you have no choices, just like any other pregnant woman, it is YOUR body, and YOUR baby and YOUR choice.

BeckieLynn55

So, the last doctor I saw on Friday tells me that mt baby should be under 9lbs!! My husband was just under 9lbs and so was my dad and all his siblings. This could just be genetics! Thank you again for all of the encouragement. Only 3 or less more weeks to go!

coob

This is such joyful and exciting time!  Hey - my smallest baby was over 9 pounds.  :-)   You can do this.  Your body is designed to do this.  Trust it.  

Praying for a safe and happy delivery!

BeckieLynn55

I'm having difficulty attaching pictures from my phone; however, I have one very healthy baby!!! He came in at 9lb 1 oz and was 12 days early. I was induced after it looked like I was getting preclamsia at my last doc appt... so they sent me straight upstairs to be induced after the appt.

After 40 hours and pushing the last 3, I was given the option for a c-section. I was exhausted so absolutely said yes. After the operation, they said that there was no way that baby was ever coming out by pushing.

So, he's larger but not huge. Had low blood sugar in the beginning but they decided all was well within the first 24. The pediatrician and my doctors are all happy with the outcome and so am I!

When I can upload pics, I will. But we've got a healthy Lucas Robert. Born 11/8/14, 11:43PM. 9lbs, 1oz. 21inches. And we just love him!

BeckieLynn55

tn_gallery_806_164_9345.jpg

That's the best picture I can get! I don't know why it keeps cutting his head off. I tried to resize and it didn't help! Just imagine adorable blonde hair on top of that head. He looks just like his father's baby pics! He doesn't look too chubby here but I swear the camera adds 2 lbs to all his other pictures! (PS. Annoying that we can't post links from Picasa or Facebook)

CrystalBlue

Let me preface all this by saying that I'm a big girl. 5'10, heavy set. Though both my sisters and I were each around 6 lbs full term. Most of my family is big. My husband's is more average. I got all my care at Brigham and Women's in Boston, so I'm assuming I had the best.

When I was pregnant with my oldest, they were less strict on the blood sugar guidelines. I remember them saying an A1c under 8 was good. The ultrasound said he was 12 lbs at 38 weeks, but my doctor pooh poohed it saying "they're always off". Well, he ended up coming that week, and at 38 weeks he was 11lbs 120z and 24 inches long, C section thank God. He's 13 now and big for his age.

Six years later when I had my 2nd son, the guidelines were much more stringent. I kept my A1c to a 6 the entire time, but developed polyhydramnios anyway. My water broke at 35 weeks with him and he was born at 6lbs. 14oz. If he'd gone full term he would have been pretty big. But he was perfectly fine! No extended stay in the NICU, no major issues. He's 6 now and very tall and skinny!

My third son was an interesting story. They watched me more closely with him because of the polyhydramnios and early labor with the last one. I took progesterone shots once a week and ate like a saint. My A1c was impeccable, around 5.5. I developed the polyhydramnios anyway, and he started getting big. My doctors were so sure they were somehow missing high sugars that they did another kind of test, something about fructosamine? But it backed up what the A1c and my meter had been saying all along, my control was excellent. I went into premature labor with him at 32 weeks. They held it off until 37, but it was a hellish experience. I got the steroid shot to help his lungs develop, and that caused me to go into DKA. I kept going into labor and they could stop it, or slow it down, but I spent weeks in the hospital. At 37 weeks he was born weighing 10lbs 12oz, also by C section. And he also had no lasting problems. Right now he's in the 80th for height and 70'th for weight. He's 2.

Deborah233

This is a really well post for me, I’ll make sure to bookmark it and return to read more of these useful info. Thanks for the post. I will certainly comeback.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.