Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rra

Question for those who planned their pregnancy...

rra

Hi all,

Longtime reader of the forums, but have never asked anything or commented until today as it's getting closer to the time that my husband and I are going to start trying. 

For those who planned their pregnancy with their doctors, about how long of tight control and A1C's 7% & under did you have to go before your doctor gave you the green light? I'm currently at an A1C of 7.3%, so I'm not quite there yet, but I'm wondering when I do drop into the 6's if I will have to stay there for so many months before getting the go-ahead? My endo has simply said we'll revisit it once I get there, so not too helpful. Did you have to just have one A1C under, or did you have to go 3 mo, 6 mo, etc?

Thank you in advance for your help. 

KelliMax

I let my endo know my plans however, as soon as I got to 6% we started trying because conception can take a long time too.  It took us 6 months to get pregnant so  I was under 6% for 6 months.  Having an insulin pump and CGM are what made that possible and helped me keep it down through all the fluctuations pregnancy can bring.  I am currently 33 weeks pregnant and my a1c is 5.4%   Good luck, and do what you think is right for you guys. 

rubidoux

Ya know the thing is that it's all up to you. Your endo can give you advice, but that's all it is. I think, as long as you're not having kidney or eye issues, the big Q is how confident are you that you can maintain your good blood sugars. You may feel totally confident after one good a1c or you might feel like you need more time. And one thing to remember is that once you're pregnant, it's all gonna change anyway. With my first pregnancy, control got much easier but w my second it became quite a bit harder.

I think KelliMax brings up a good point. Blood sugar is not the only factor to consider. Do you have all the time in the world or are you racing the clock? At any rate, it's your decision and you probably know that t1's get pregnant by accident and usually do fine. So the answer for you may be different than for someone else.

Lizzie G

Hi

I have always kept my HbA1C below 7% (preferably below 6, occasionally just above).  My view has always been that I look after my own health and body, don't have diabetes complications as a result, and I cant think of anything I would be less likely to do than ask someone else's permission to get pregnant.  Make sure YOU are happy with your control and that you can keep it where you want it, take good quality pre natal supplements and a high dose of folic acid, and make your own life choices with your partner.  Nobody can make those choices for you.  I have 2 healthy children following 2 healthy pregnancies, timed as I saw fit.

Priscilla6985

I was well controlled with my lowest a1c at 6.3 with an approval to conceive from the endo then he also wanted an approval from my ob as well. I stayed at at 6.3 for 6 months, 2 a1c tests.

During my pregnancy I got the lowest at 5.9 and never reached that period again but was very controlled and had a very healthy baby boy! I really recommend being controlled. I remember him giving me a red light and telling me lots of times no and i thought I would never have a baby but I did and in the end it was the best decision!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.