Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nomiewest

Type 1 diabetic and just found out I'm pregnant!

nomiewest

Hi all!

So firstly, this website is amazing and reading previous forums have helped to stop me worrying quite so much. I found out I was pregnant just under two weeks ago and hadnt planned for it, although my husband and I are very excited! I am 23 as live in Kuwait so I'm trying to find out as much information as I can to help me.

My hba1c was 7.3 in August when I last had it done and I am waiting results from my hba1c that I had done last week. I am just so nervous right now that any high reading I have is affecting the baby, especially as I'm so early on. Most of my readings are below 6 and I correct anything above 7 but three times in the last 2 days my blood sugars have been 9.2 or around about that. I'm testing about 10 times a day at the moment and feeling a bit like a pincushion!

If anyone has any advice or information to share with me it would really be appreciated, especially being so far from home (uk).

☺️

macksvicky

Hi and welcome! I am a type 2 so I wouldn't want to give you any advise other than don't stress!!! Stress makes your BG numbers worse. With that being said, I'm sure there will be some folks along that are type 1 that can answer any questions you have.

jwags

Do you have a good OB/GYN ? They usually want pregnant diabetics to keep lower bgs than the average diabetic. So you may need to work with your medical team on meeting your goals. 

samuraiguy

Welcome to the forums and congrats! There are many type 1 mothers on the forum who can give you more detailed advice on the pregnancy. I can give you some peace of mind by letting you know at 7.3 you are not horribly high and with your more diligent testing may have dropped that even lower by now. As was stated above the worst thing to do is stress too much about it, what happened in the past means nothing because you can't change it either way, what you do today, now about getting your A1C safely lower is all that matters.

JPerry80
Posted · Hidden by notme, October 24, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by notme, October 24, 2014 - No reason given

First, congratulations! I have some more good news, too. You will probably actually have lower blood sugar levels as you are pregnant. I have spoken with a few women who are type 1 diabetics and have children, and they have all told me that they all had lower blood sugar levels while they were pregnant. One of these ladies even told me that the only time in their lives their A1C was under 7, was while they were pregnant. Best of luck!

Justin

Carol99

well i would definatley consult with a doctor about what is best for u and the baby...i would assume you would want to try extra hard to keep your blood sugar levels as stable as possible....more then that i would not know what to tell you

nomiewest

Thanks all, I'm meeting with my doctor every 2 weeks to try and keep my sugars down and they seems to have come down quite a bit already just a few spikes every now and then.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.