Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sobriquet

Co-enzyme Q10?

Sobriquet

Anyone taking this? What for? Notice any change?

Not sure if I'm being sold a monkey on this one - but they say that diabetics may not have enough...

jwags

I have taken it for 4 years. I was on statins and had terrible side effects. When I went off the statin I started to take COQ 10. It is supposed to protect the heart muscle.

Uff Da

I'm taking it for blood pressure.  I take the ubiquinol form, which is supposed to be better absorbed by the elderly.

I read that in one study of people with isolated systolic blood pressure (which I have), it did absolutely no good for about 50% of those taking it.  But for those it helped, systolic blood pressure was lowered a whopping 17% on average.  Because my PCP and cardiologist were both talking about increasing my blood pressure meds again (I'm already on three different BP meds), I decided to give it a try last spring.  The problem was that I started it at the same time the spring yard work started, so I haven't yet been able to separate whether the CoQ10 helped or if the change was all due to the extra exercise.  But instead of increasing my BP meds, my doctor was able to cut the dosage in half! Before she did so I was getting BP readings as low as 88/48.

I'm still finishing up some of the outside work that I should have gotten done in the summer, but within a few more weeks I suspect I'll be able to do so.  Then my exercise level will decrease again.  At that time I should be able to tell whether or not it is worth the expense of continuing the supplement.

Seagal

I've been taking it for years and these are some of the reasons:

"CoQ10 is required for all energy production and for life itself. In fact, because CoQ10 must be present in all living cells, its chemical name is Ubiquinone from the word "ubiquitous" meaning present everywhere. CoQ10 becomes even more vital as we age, since CoQ10 levels decline rapidly with age, stress, physical activity, poor diet, health issues and even with medications such as cholesterol-lowering drugs. All cells require CoQ10 for energy production and cellular protection and it is therefore not surprising that CoQ10 is found in the highest concentrations in the "hardest working" organs in the body (Heart, Brain, Liver, Kidneys and Pancreas)." 

Also, anyone on statins should be taking it because the statins inhibit the natural production of cq10 from our system.

Moonpie

I take one every other day, don't know if it helps  or not, but it's not too expensive & I don't take any other vits/supplements.

Old Clicker

I take Co Q 10 every day. I was having leg and foot cramps because of the Lipitor. It stopped the cramps immediately.

Seagal

unfortunately, drs (most of them) don't realize what statins can do to deplete the coq10, I have never had a dr. suggest it to me or any other supplement (except aspirin).

may be another one of those things where you do your own research as to the efficacy, or see my post #5.

jwags

My doctor recommended it after the damage of statins made me go off of them. From what I understand the statins destroy the mitochondria in the cells and CoQ10 rebuilds it.

JanetP

I came off of BP meds I had been on for years once my blood sugars were under control.  I am now on a minimal amount of losartan just to protect my kidneys.  And I have had a couple of docs tell that often happens.

I'll look into the CoQ10.  I was on Lipitor for years until I learned what they can do to you from this forum and now I flatly refuse to take them.

Sprockets

I've seen it before but never read anything about it.  I take generic Lipitor and stopped having cramping issues when my dosage was dropped last year.  I'll have to read up a little more.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.