Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

A few more carbs can be helpful (T2)

miketurco

Thought I'd share a lesson I've learned. This is my personal experience and YMMV. 

For some time, I figured good bg control had much to do with lowering the number of carbs in my diet. Eventually I was down to just a few carbs/day and I wasn't getting the results I wanted.

To make a long story short, I upped the carbs in my diet to around 30 or 40/day. And hey, my readings got much better! 

What was going on, I think, is that my extremely low carb diet caused liver dumps. (That's my working theory, anyway.) I was also very sensitive to protein. Now that I've upped my carbs, I can enjoy the occasional big steak :)

Mike

jwags

I find I do best somewhere between 30-50 a day. I also do some carb shifting. On one day I will do super low carbs but do higher the next. this way you trick your metabolism.

jims_forum

Yup. Excellent comments.

One needs to ensure sufficient carbs when liver control and signalling is poor or insulin levels running lo low.

I was there as well and it turns out wise to ensure sufficient carbs in a meal to keep liver in the barn.

Low carb yes but not so low that you are depending on liver for underrun or you have a second riot on

your deck.

This point is not made clear when configuring low carb diets. If everything is running right, then no

sweat!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.