Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caralyn.allen

unplanned pregnancy with high a1c....

caralyn.allen

I've just found out I'm pregnant. 5-8 weeks along according to the urgent care clinic. Im 25 and this will be my first child and was not planned. I'm excited but terrified. I've never had good control of my blood sugars, my last a1c was 9.8 and before that was 14! I have always wanted a baby but am worried my high a1c's will cause the baby to have problems. I just found out yesterday and am freaking out. I took today off work and called all my doctors to set up appointments. I'm on a pump and have a cgm. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if their babies ended up okay? Obviously I'm going to be way more on top of my health now that I've got a baby on the way, but have I already harmed it? Can I good it or is it to late?

rubidoux

I think there's a very good chance you and baby will be fine.  Five to eight weeks is a huge window.  I'm really surprised they weren't more specific.  Hmmmm... At any rate, I think you will be able to pull your blood sugars right into line.  Do you know what to do to make that happen?  If not, you'll get lots of help here.  I wouldn't rely on the doctors, as they usually don't have a clue.  If I was in your shoes, I'd start by taking all carbs out, like literally no carbs at all and then slowly add some back in.  It's awesome that you've already got a pump and cgm, that will go a long way towards helping.  

Congratulations, mama!   :wub:

GretchO

My A1C was around 10 when I found out I was (surprise!!) pregnant. I was also on Lisinopril (blood pressure med) which is very contra-indicated during pregnancy, especially in the first few weeks. So...I had 2 strikes against me. I was told to end the pregnancy but that wasn't an option for me. Everything ended up fine...my daughter was born normal and healthy, still is...she's 9.

You have the tools to get everything under control - I ended up maintaining a mid-5 A1C during the remainder of the pregnancy. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you're having issues w/ control, there are a lot of T1 success stories...if you're aware of what's coming you can make adjustments without too much trouble.

2high

My a1c was 12.7 when I fell pregnant with my now 4 year old. He's perfect... Handsome, funny and smart. He was a BIG boy- 9lb13oz delivered at 37 weeks, but ok

caralyn.allen

Thank you all. I do have a good care team and a very supportive mother and fiance. Keeping my fingers crossed everything turns out okay! Having trouble keeping my b.s. down today but doing my best! Perhaps ill just stop eating all together (j/k) ;)

shacky33

Reading these makes me a lot mor comfortable! I am 25 years old as well as my wife and we are going to be first time parents, she has been T1D since about 7 years old, unfortunately we dont have a pump or a CGM, we were actually just introduced to the CGM yesterday, (well i was) SO EXPENSIVE!! But I reckon its worth every penny!  we had a big scare yesterday morning, had to call 911 as her sugars were at 1.7. Luckily i was home and woke up to get her to a hospital...that was her first low scare, only highs in the past. Anyways, her a1c is the best its been in her life at 8.2%! our due date is november 14th so we are 10wks4days along! Early, but the earlier the better as it was a suprise!! hoping for a boy! I'm very helpful with everything she needs and am right by her side at all appointments, i would just like to talk to some people who have dealt with it first hand, rather than advisors! 

Thanks a lot! Looking forward to the knowledge I can gain from you great mothers & fathers! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.