Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

csammart

Diabetes, pregnancy, and weight gain

csammart

Hi all!

I recently found out I am pregnant. It was an unplanned pregnancy, but we are thrilled! Before I knew I was pregnant, I did not take great care of myself and was hospitalized this past April with DKA. At the time, I was withholding insulin to lose weight and my HbA1c was at 13.9. I am on shots and was not giving myself Lantus or Humalog injections.  When I entered the hospital, I was about 104 pounds. After a few days on an IV drip and getting the correct amount of insulin, I left the hospital at 111 pounds. Over the next few months, my blood sugar control was not the best it could be, but not as bad as before either. My weight would fluctuate anywhere from 112 to 117.

Right before I found out I was pregnant, my weight was 114,115 if I wasn't giving myself insulin and 117 if I was. The day I went to the OB/GYN to get a pregnancy test, it was 119.2.

Cut to 11 days since I found out I am pregnant (I think I am about 5 or six weeks right now) and being extremely diligent with taking insulin, carb counting, and watching my blood sugar and my weight has gone to 127.8 the last time I checked. That was yesterday and I have now had my boyfriend hide the scale. I went from giving myself no insulin for days at a time to about 20 to 30 units of Humalog a day and 35 units of Lantus every morning to keep my blood sugar near perfect for the baby's health.

Is it normal (and healthy) for my body to gain weight this quickly? Everyone is telling me it is because I was in such bad shape right before I got pregnant from not giving myself insulin but I'm concerned I am gaining weight too fast and I know that can be bad for the baby as well.

Has anyone else experienced weight gain like this and did it level off? Is this weight gain to be expected from suddenly taking so much more insulin than my body is used to?

Thanks in advance!

jwags

The weight gain is not from the pregnancy this early. Your previous way of losing weight was not good for your health. You have to take insulin to live and you want a healthy baby. Do you count your carbs and match it to your insulin? If you avoid junk food carbs and concentrate on healthy carbs you may be able to match your insulin needs exactly. It is when you overeat carbs and have to overcompensate with extra Insulin that you gain weight. Your doctor will tell you how much a healthy weight gain will be. When I had my babies they wanted you to gain 20-30 pounds but they are always changing that.

Tanikit

If you want to control this and also keep your weight under control then you will have to watch what you eat. It is actually more important for your baby for you to have good sugar levels than it is to keep all that weight off. Nonetheless it is possible to prevent excessive weight gain - some of the weight gain you may be experiencing could be due to bloating caused by the hormones but also by certain foods you may be eating.

If you know how to carb count then you can control your weight gain - basically the fewer carbs you eat the less you will gain weight as the less insulin you will take. However, a baby does require good nutrition too so you can't cut all carbs. Switch to a diet high in vegetables and some meat, make sure you are on a pregnancy vitamin and then add moderate doses of carbs - but healthy ones. 

What you did with the insulin to lose weight happens fairly commonly with young type 1 diabetic women - but it is unnecessary - because if you are controlling what you eat and lowering the carbs greatly you can have good sugars and good weight. 

Right now though forget the weight and concentrate on a healthy baby - I picked up a lot more on the recommended (I think about 60 pounds in both pregnancies though most of it came in the second and third trimester and some of it was because I had to be on cortisone both pregnancies even with the diabetes as the asthma got so out of control) and I lost it within months of having my first child. With the second it was only when I started correct carb counting and lowered the carbs severely that I lost the pregnancy weight and when I did that it came off within three months.

Go and read some books on what good nutrition for pregnancy involves - a non diabetic pregnancy - forget about you and concentrate on the baby - in that way you will do what is right for both of you.

BeckieLynn55

I gained 54 pounds and was above the recommended weight gain my entire pregnancy. I'm 3 weeks postpartum now and I've only got 7 more pounds to lose to be back to my pre pregnancy weight. Baby and I are both healthy and I didn't even start to exercise yet. Don't worry about the weight. Your body will gain what it needs, which may be more than average. As long as you aren't gorging yourself, you'll lose it after - maybe not in a month, but eventually as long as you're healthy about it.

And please take your insulin! Is it better to be 10 lbs lighter and dead in 10 years, or 10 lbs heavier and around to enjoy your little one growing up!?

jewelshahin

Do you know a new molecular therapy that uses targeted peptides and proteins to restore cellular function?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.