Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

somanyasks

Alternatives to metanx/foltanx

somanyasks

So last month I had a neuropathy scare - the symptoms seemed to fit (though I was hoping it was calcium deficiency because those symptoms would have been right on, too - but my calcium levels were normal) so I went to the doctor and he didn't think it was likely but prescribed Foltanx (he said Metanx in the office but when I went to pick up it was Foltanx). Anyway, I have taken it for about a month and the symptoms have almost completely subsided - due to the Foltanx? Who knows since I also brought my A1C down from 7.4 to 6.3.

Anyway, I have read some favorable and negative things about Metanx (nothing about Foltanx specifically) and also I read somewhere that it takes a few months to even start working? The point is, it is a fairly expensive prescription but I don't want to just stop taking it - I'm considering taking Alpha Lipoic Acid (not sure of daily dosage) and a B vitamin supplement but I wanted to ask you guys what you have had positive experiences with as far as over the counter neuropathy-related supplements and dosages go.

I know it may be bad form to ask about medication but since this is a supplement and I want to replace it with supplements, I figure it's okay.  Thanks in advance!

NoraWI

I googled both and found that Foltanx is NOT a generic for Metanx but is frequently substituted for it. Foltanx has interactions with 11 other drugs. It claims to be effective in counteracting neuropathy. But so is reducing the carbs one eats and, therefore, one's A1c. I assume that bringing down your A1c from 7.4 to 6.3 had a substantial effect on moderating your neuropathy. Personally, I don't believe in treating the symptoms without treating the cause. Reducing your A1c treated the cause of your neuropathy so I would suggest continuing down that path.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.