Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2015 Bicycling - Keeping the Pace

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

And so, it begins. Another year astride our metal and composite steeds all sharing the joys and sense of freedom of a human powered vehicle. 2014 was good and 2015 promises to be better.

raffi

Happy New Year everyone. Here's to another year on our bikes.

We're  still in the midst of a cold snap that is keeping temperatures in single digits for most of the day. It has been a good test of the winter riding gear and I am now convinced that I have the equipment I need figured out.

For my New Year's ride, I had planned a fairly easy 14 mile ride, but my wife told me that a 15 mile ride would make more sense. Since I could not argue with her logic, I went for a 15 mile (much more challenging) ride instead. After yesterday's terrifying ride, there was no hesitation about taking the fatbike even though I figued that several miles (almost half?) of that ride was pavement and probably clear. Turns out I over estimated the amount of snow/ice removal that was done on that stretch, very little of it was clear and much of it was every bit as bad as what I was riding over yesterday. The fatbike felt like I was riding dry pavement.

A little over a mile into the ride, a pickup cautiously passed me while I was climbing a hill. After he dipped down the other side and started up the next section, I watched as he lost control and was barely able to save it after wildly careening from side to side. The other side of that hill is about a mile of winding steep downhill and I was wondering how well he would do navigating that. When I got to the bottom, I was surprised to see him waiting at the intersection only to discover as I passed by that he was locking his 4wd hubs to try to get going up this very slight incline onto the other road. He eventually managed it in 4wd and again cautiously passed me as he went on his way. I wonder what he thought about the crazy guy on the bike that was not having any trouble on the ice.

rwallen

Hi all!

Wow raffi, that's pretty cool.  I saw a Mongoose fat tire bike at Walmart.  It was a fixie.  I was telling my LBS about it and they said, "if you decide that you want to try one out, just come by here.  We'll let you take one for a spin."   I don't think I'm a fat tire kinda guy but I appreciate them being willing to let me ride one.  I also know that the experience would be better than on the Walmart bike.

I got in a little over 21 miles today for the first day of the new year.  Looking back at my spreadsheets I discovered that this is the first year that I have ridden on New Year's Day.  Maybe that will set the bar for  2015.  It was about 30 degrees when I got out.  I bought some Under Armor glove liners today.  I'm not real sure that they made any difference.  I think that I'll be able to ride tomorrow but Friday and Saturday look a  little iffy.

Regarding 2015 goals, I hope to not miss as many days riding my bike or spin bike.  This year it was 70 days. :(  The two previous years it was 61 and 65.  I hope to get in a few more miles but I think I want to try to not miss days, ride outside as much as possible, and to do some mini tours.  I hope to do most of them from my front door but if I decide to do the Natchez Trace, I will have to drive of course. 

Anyway, here's to a great and SAFE 2015!!

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Today we had a slight break in the weather and I took the single out for a 16 mile ride. Cold by my standards in the mid 30's which is my limit. Also a bit breezy with a moderate West wind that make the last part of the ride a bit of a struggle. If the weather forecast holds, then I'll probably do another outdoor ride tomorrow.

raffi

Much warmer today, mid to upper 20s. While the weather prognosticators did get the temps right, they blew it on the snow. Our 0% change of precipitation turned into about 1/4" topping off our very slick shiny ice.

While the conditions were still within the capabilities of the screws in my fatbike tires, I was probably close to the limit of what I would want to try them out on. Climbing a couple of the steeper hills, I could feel a bit of slippage between the screws. Even so, the 16 mile ride was fun and uneventful. It was nice to be able to shed a layer and use the gloves instead of the ski mittens.

While I had fun, I can't say for the same for the cars I saw out there. I stopped to talk with one guy who looked like he had the scare of his life and was in the process of getting his truck back on the road and changing out a tire that popped off the rim.

rwallen

We'll, it was the spin bike for me today. Even though it was a day NOT on the bike, I did ride. I'm not sure if it made it above 24 and the wind was blowing too hard for me to want to get out. It also flurried most of the day. I'm back to work tomorrow but I hope I can get out for a little while after work. It's suppose to be close to 30 and sunny.

Take care!

ORjt

Hi all,

Yes, so begins another year. Raffi - great story!

My intention had been to wrap up 2014 with a couple of rides, then start off '15 on NYD.  Between weather (rainy, or way cold <mid 30's daytime), sinusitis, and then a(nother) kidney stone, that didn't work out.  Ended '14 at 1755 miles. Lower than I wanted, but it's all good.

I did get out on the 2nd for about 12 miles - enough to shake off the cobwebs, and try out one of the presents left under the tree for me - a 'Fly6' rear-facing HD cam and light.  Seems to work well - I'll post up a link to some video at some point.

I don't generally set goals for the year (other than 'more than last year'); I really want to get back to over 2k for the year, though. Will try to stay focused on that.  Love riding, but it's difficult sometimes to make the time.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

rwallen

Good morning all!

JT, I always look forward to pictures and videos.  :)  I meant to comment on your "but it's difficult sometimes to make the time." statement but we all live different lives and I perhaps make cycling too high of a priority.  It's something that I struggle with all of the time.

I stated in an earlier post what some of my goals were but I think I'm gonna just focus on January for now.  I would like to top the number of days that I have been outside for a ride.  Up until now it's been 9 for the last 3 Januarys.  I also want to miss less than 3 days of not riding the spin bike or the single.  With that said, I was on the SB again last night.  I could have got outside but I didn't.  The heat at the university where I work had been down during the break and our building was less than 45 degrees when I came in.  In addition, the unit in my area wasn't working.  So, when the rest of the office warmed up my space did not.  Needless to say, I was chilled all day and didn't feel like getting out in the cold when I got through with work.  However, yesterday's high was the low for last night.  It's not going to get much warmer but I don't think the wind will be as strong or have as much of a bite to it today.  So, the plan is to get outside.  Did I mention that I hate the spin bike?  :)

Anyway, take care all and stay warm!!

raffi

Since today is my birthday, it was time for the annual birthday ride. Since I needed 51 miles this year but I did not want to take a LONG lunch or take time off of work, I decided to get the birthday ride in by commuting. Since my normal commute is only 36 miles round trip, I had to take a longer (21 mile) route in and an even longer (32 mile) route back home. And yes, I can add and I know that is more than 51 miles. ;), but that was out the routes worked out. On the plus side, weather permitting, I can use the same route the next two years.

rwallen

Happy Birthday raffi!

BTW, got in a 21 mile ride outside. It was around 30-32 with a nnw wind of 12-14 mph but tomorrow it will be around 10 degrees when I get off work. So, no ride planned for outside.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Raffi: Happy Birthday (belated)

Ok, I'm the weather wimp and what Raffi defines as "warmer" (mid 20's) is simply TDC for me and I do TdG instead of going outside. I do remember when I had to balance bicycling and a work schedule. It isn't easy unless, like Raffi, you bicycle commute. I remember trying that a few times and it did not work well riding a bicycle among a bunch of half-awake drivers trying to wolf down coffee and a bagel while driving - and now they have added cell-phones, twitter and texting to their en-route to work routine.

Today was cold - low 20's with a really nasty and strong wind and the temperatures are falling (can you say: "Polar Vortex?") to what may well be record low temps for January in NJ.

The good news is that the hours of daylight are imperceptibly increasing and once winter is finished there will be spring.

Gordonm

It's 8 this morning with wind chills well below 0. I did my first indoor ride yesterday with some more to come. I can ride the cold but this is to much. I'm good down to about 30. Below that it just is not worth it.

Ronin

Gordon, et al.,

Everyone has limits. I used to tough out the really cold days but it just isn't fun to be out there playing with potential problems when frostbite is a possibility so my current lower limit is 35F.

I've been in the garage a lot already this season and today my legs felt a bit sluggish. Could be a bit of over-training or possibly due to some overheating (No fan because I did not want the wind-chill in the garage where the temperature was around 35). I was drenched in sweat by the time I finished and had raised the temperature in the garage to 42F. Tomorrow is very busy so there won't be a TdG session on Sunday.

rwallen

Got out this weekend after being on the spin bike 3 days in a row. Yesterday was around 34 and a little breezy when I got out after lunch. This morning was around 31 when I got out at 6:45 am. After a bite at McDonald's I turned around to head for home and it started drizzling. Things started glazing up fast. I fell twice and about 3.5 miles from home I felt that I couldn't safely ride anymore. I couldn't even walk and push my bike. So, I called my wife to come and pick me up. I was able to get in a little over 18 miles before I had to call it quits. I was surprised to see I had a little road rash and some tears in my clothes but I'm kinda feeling a little sore now.

Anyway, I hope everyone had good weekend and were able to get in some riding.

ORjt

Hi all,

Rick - ouch! Heal quickly ...

I was able to get out both days this weekend - temps in the mid 40's (downright balmy considering what the rest of you are posting :D ). Roads were really wet on Saturday from overnight rain.  Sunday, it stayed dry till just after I got back in (weather.com's hourly forecast was just about spot-on for a change).  Anyhow - 20 on Saturday, and another 13 yesterday.

Given how much slop was being thrown by the front tire on Saturday, I'm seriously re-thinking fenders. (I've got a clip-on for the rear that works just fine, but it's a seatpost mount, and I'd really kind of like to free that up for the Fly6 ...). (All this on the 'cross bike).

Stay safe out there!

--JT

rwallen

JT,

Regarding fenders: I don't know what I think.  I mean, they're on there.  So, they're kinda forgotten but I have a slight vibration noise on the front one.  I think I can probably figure out where and silence it.  The front one got kinda knocked around with my 2 falls but was easily straightened out.  I think they do help but they seem to be in the way in some cases.  I have to be more careful how I lean my bike.  I have needed to check my air a bit differently than I did before.  Major deal breakers?  No.  I have considered taking them and my front rack off just so I can ride my bike like it used to be but my plan is to "tour" as much as possible this year.  So....  Some day I might buy another bike.

I was able to get out yesterday after work...around 30 and windy but still a good ride.  Betty seemed to be "no worse for wear" after my crashes.

Take care all!

raffi

Rick, sorry to hear about your fall. It amazes me how sour you can be from even a minor fall, so heal up quickly. As far as fenders go, I wouldn't want to commute without them if there was any chance of slop on the road. I could live with being splattered, but keeping the drive train clean and free from muck keeps me riding and fenders do the job. If you get into slush/mud or anything else that can stick to your tires, the fenders can fill up and bring you to a stop, but the muck on the drive train would do that anyway.

It was snowing this morning when I started my commute. The prognosticators said 0% chance of snow and the radar looks clear, so I went for it. Temps are supposed to be around 30 degrees all day.

ORjt

Hi all,

Just a bit more about fenders: Rick,  you said " I have to be more careful how I lean my bike " - I wasn't sure what you meant by that... as in 'lean your bike up against something' or "lean your bike as in turning a corner" ... (and I can highly recommend having at least two bikes.  I have a third that I'll likely sell this spring.  But with the two bikes, I have the 'cross set up as a commuter, and the carbon bike as the fast, fun, long ride bike. It's the 'cross bike that'll get fenders).

Raffi: we rarely get snow, and all the roads I ride on are paved, so there's really no issue with insuring clearance for 'muck' (good to point that out for anyone else reading, though).  Just looking for something to keep road spray off of me, and the drivetrain.

What I'd *really* like are something like these: http://www.sykeswoodfenders.com/sykeswoodfenders/sykeswoodfenders.html

I'm just not ready to plunk down that kind of change ...

Weather, right now, is fully out of synch with the weekend. We've had a couple of really, really nice days - I think it was 50 yesterday. It feels more like early April, than mid January. Supposed to rain (hard) Saturday, with possible clearing Sunday afternoon. If (and it's a big IF), I can get to the shop on Saturday, and get fenders, might get to try them out :) .

That all said, I was on the exercise bike for 35 minutes last night, so that was good.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

rwallen

JT,

Yeah, I meant when leaning my bike against something. Talking about turning though, do you use clips on your x-bike? The reason I ask is that until I got clips my feet would occasionally hit my front tire when turning sharply. It must not be just me because it has been mentioned in several forums, especially in regard to cross bikes being used for touring. The concern is also with hitting the front panniers because the geometry of the frame is a little shorter. Clips corrected my problem and I haven't had and problems hitting the panniers. However, I have kicked the front fender a few times since they've been installed. I just bring it up in case you have had any experiences with hitting your front tire.

All,

I wasn't able to take advantage of the balmy 38 degree day today but I did do the TdBasement this evening.

Take care!

raffi

One advantage of the cold (low 20s) is it really firms up the roads. The commute in this morning went well and felt like I was on pavement for the entire trip.

As far as indoor riding goes, the one good thing that indoor riding did for me was to convince me that it was worth trying to ride outside in the cold and snow. I'm impressed by those of you who can actually do the indoor riding thing for more than 1/2 hour, that was about my limit before the boredom got to be too much for me.

ORjt

Rick,

Thanks for the follow up.

I use clipless pedals on both bikes - MTB on the 'cross bike, and proper road pedals on the road bike. Big honkin' feet (49/13.5),  I'm very well aware of toe overlap issues, so I'm always careful of slow, large-angle turns. (Again, always good to bring things like this up for anyone reading).

Raffi: yeah, half-an-hour about does it for me. I figure if I'm huffing and puffing, and sweating, I'm doing some good.  Last year, I was trying to get in 45 minute sessions, and the large mental barrier was finding enough time (at least another 30 minutes to account for clothes changes and cool down).  It doesn't seem like much (15 minutes), but it feels a lot easier to say I'll just do ~30 minutes, and then suck up the extra overhead time.

--stay safe out there!

-JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

It is cold here in NJ (perhaps not cold to Raffi). It is full-on TdG season and the garage is cold (mid 30's) so I've started to wear my light weight tights and jacket (an old Banesto kit - for those who can remember when Banesto sponsored a Spanish racing team) it is just enough to keep me warm but thin enough to let the fan keep me cool enough to finish the intervals. It is a fine balance between too hot and too cold.

Linda has been coughing for the past few days and now I'm feeling a scratchy throat as well. Nothing in the lungs so, as long as my temp is normal, I can still do my TdG sessions. The cough is probably from exposure to my violin student and the kids in the Youth Orchestra where we assist at rehearsals. Kids are germ and virus factories and despite using hand sanitizer...

Hope everyone stays well and upright.

rwallen

raffi,

I hear ya on the "indoor bike" convincing you to ride outside.  I have ridden in more cold and wet streets this winter than I ever have.  I won't ride in the slush or snow and probably not wet streets if I think they might be slick.  My motivation for riding daily is for controlling my BG levels but I would rather log miles on the cross bike over the spin bike.  So, that is what I am trying to do.  I didn't really post my miles for 2014 but in the past have included the spin bike miles.  I don't want to do that anymore.

Ronin

Rick, et al.,

We all use the bike for a number of reasons, including (but not limited to) controlling our BG levels. Like any form of exercise, what matters most is a form of exercise you do because you want to that makes the difference.

Today was a would'a, could'a, should'a day. I rode the rollers because the temperatures were only in the high 20's when we got home from our morning errands. More than an hour passed before I started to get ready. If I had looked at the thermometer I would have layered up and ridden outside as the temperatures were abover 35F. Even worse, while on the rollers at about 17 minutes, I started to push up my long sleeves (something I do daily) but today I lost focus and rode off the rollers. Not a big deal but it did take about a minute to get back up. So I really worked to try and make up the minute I lost - regained about 30 seconds when I got to the end. Tomorrow the forecast is for single digit temperatures in the morning peaking around 20F.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.