Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2015 Bicycling - Keeping the Pace

ORjt

Hi all,

On the excercise bike a couple of times this week so far. Think I've been on it now more times than all last winter. My 'mental game' of just looking for 20-30 minutes is working. Now if I can just keep this up through ~March.

Fenders: I lucked into a great sale at the LBS, and picked up a set of Portland Design Works 'Full Metal Fenders'. These are really nicely made aluminum, in a gun-metal gray color. I've never installed fenders before, so it's been somewhat a chore. Front one is good to go, and I think I can finish the rear, this evening.

Weather: the deities are smiling - little chance of rain this weekend, highs around 58 both days. Unbelieveable for January. I should be able to get a shorter ride on Saturday (post errands), and a longer ride on Sunday. (They are actually predicting low-mid 60's for the coast. That's a great day in *JUNE* ).

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

I'm finally back to TdG after five days of rhinovirus that had me dripping and coughing so much that I could not face the rollers. I'm finally over it and I was surprised at how good my legs were after a five day break. More snow on the way tonight - oh joy!

Have a good weekend everyone.

Harold

Just noticed we went to 2015 and had to go to the first post to catch up. I've not been riding but once or twice since last July 4. My wife health took a down turn on that 4th and I had to call EMS. Then the first of the year I had to call EMS again.  The hospital determined she had CO2 poisoning, and she spent 13 days in the hospital. Keep telling myself I will get out and ride. They will have to be short ones, but maybe two or three a day for half hour rides should help. I will keep reading this thread looking for encouragement.

raffi

The weather had been wonderful for January and it is supposed to get even better next week. It should be into the 50s on Monday. 

I only got one commute in last week. I did attempt a second commute on Thursday, but I had just changed the chain on the fatbike but not  soon enough, so it was skipping in several of the gears. After getting a little ways from home I turned around and got the 29er out since the roads were probably OK for the 29er. Well I got a little further from home when I realized I left my panniers (yep, work cloths and lunch) so I turned around and went back home again. This time, I was too late to make another attempt, so I put the fatbike on the car and drove to work. The LBS got me the fatbike back by the end of the day, so I got an afternoon ride in.

I got a quick 14 mile ride in this morning, the roads are pretty soft, but not too much for the fatbike to deal with. The only issue with the ride was the temperature. I was dressed quite a bit lighter than usual and was still a bit overdressed. Not so much that I had to stop and shed a layer, but I was pretty soaked with sweat by the time I got home.

ORjt

Hi all,

For our NE friends - stay safe with the coming weather -- yikes!

Harold - sorry to hear about your issues. Hang in there; ride when you can. I've found that even short rides can help.

Raffi - you had quite an adventure ;)

As for me - the best laid plans, and all that ...  Saturday was quite nice - upper 50's, mostly sunny. Sprintime kit (shorts/leg warmers; ss jersey/arm warmers). And sunglasses.  21 miles on the 'cross bike. No rattles from the fenders. Enough 'slop' on the roads to verify that my feet stayed clean and dry. Yay!

Sunday was another matter - fog.  It didn't really start lifting till mid afternoon. By then, I'd committed to doing other stuff, so no ride. I was able to get in ~35 minutes on the exercise bike, though.

Stay safe out there!

--JT

rwallen

Hi all!

Still rockin and rollin here!  So far, no missed days in January, 7 inside the rest outside.  I know that I will miss 2 days in February that I know of.  However, it's not my intention not to miss days.  I just want to ride if I can.

Take care!

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

As the lyric states: "The weather outside is frightful..." We live about 25 miles from the coast and on the western side of a natural ridgeline so (hopefully) we won't get as much snow as the costal regions (forecast for three to four feet) but we're good for at least 24 inches by the time the system finally leaves the area.

We had a very busy weekend with about six inches of snow on Saturday and a very busy Sunday schedule. I did manage to get on the rollers today (Monday 26 Jan) and it felt good to be breathing hard and sweating for 30 minutes. I'm not sure if I'll be riding rollers tomorrow, but I am sure I'll be shoveling snow. However, we might just sleep in tomorrow morning (famous last words - every time I think that my body clock goes off a half hour or more early).

Glad to read that some of you are still riding on the roads.

raffi

Speaking of crazy weather, while you guys on the east coast are playing in the snow ;), I stripped down to shorts, an under layer and a short sleeve jersey for my ride home this afternoon. If I could have been sure I would have made it home before sunset, I would have skipped the under layer. It was almost 60 degrees! This is odd weather even for us (around here, there is no such thing as a "normal" winter).

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

January has been lousy for riding and this past week really difficult with appointments, meetings, errands, and picking up the neighbor kids after school. I got back on the rollers today and realized that my road-fitness is gone. Now begins the long slog of winter trying to maintain indoor fitness (as well as weight and BG levels) while basically becoming an indoor person (no, I/we don't like the typical winter activities like skiing, et cetera because we don't like the cold weather)Why don't we live somewhere else? Because our house and all our social ties are here.

In reply to Raffi: Yeah the weather is abnormal for what we experienced as children but the climate has been, and still is, changing. For those getting the unusual warm - enjoy it. Have a good weekend. We've got concert tickets tomorrow with more snow in the forecast - Oh Joy!

raffi

Ronin, unlike you, our January has been very bike friendly. I actually managed 3 commutes last week. That is something I did not have the weather/fitness to be able to do until April last year. If this keeps up, I will actually keep most of my road fitness and not have to start over in the spring.

Two of the morning commutes were in fog. One of them the fog was think enough to disorient me. That made for a scary and long feeling ride. The scary part was going down a windy gravel hill. I was going slow enough to be safe, but kept finding the side of the road where I did not expect it.

ORjt

Hi all,

Like Raffi - January has been generally good biking weather here (NW Oregon) as well. Saturday - 51F, high overcast and hazy, but dry.  26 miles on the road bike.  91.3 for January.  I'll have to check, but for the 4 or 5 years I've been logging my miles, that's, I think, the best.  February is starting out to be much more typical. Rain, rain, and more rain, temps in 40's.  So, it'll be a lot of time on the exercise bike for the next coming days. Joy.

Stay safe out there!

-JT

ORjt

Hi all,

Here's a link to some video (and a selfie!) from my ride on Saturday

https://picasaweb.google.com/jct444/Bike_stuff?authkey=Gv1sRgCMvvrfK0yfvVGA&feat=directlink

The video is from the 'Fly6' that MrsORjt got me for Christmas. It's visible in the photo as being mounted on the seatpost, just above the brake.  It's a 10 minute segment, nothing exciting (yay!) - just some video of the farmland where I typically ride.  You can also see in places where there is still some level of water on the roadway. Note that it hadn't rained for a couple of days. This is why I don't typically ride if it's much below 40F - this stuff will freeze at night, then not thaw during the day, leaving odd patches of frost, here and there ...

The photo was from a local wetlands/wildlife refuge.  Not much going on right now, but there are often lots of migratory birds, waterfowl, that sort of thing ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

raffi

Orjt, Looks l like you get to ride in some pretty places. It's more crowded than I'm used to, but it looks reasonably bike friendly.

February has been a bad month for the prognosticators. The weather predictions have been changing hourly and not by just a bit. They've been swinging between predicting downpours and sunshine. That uncertainty (and quite a bit of laziness) kept me off the bike for too long. By Wednesday morning, despite the prediction swinging back to downpour and the local radar down for maintenance (ie, no way to guess for myself, looking outside does not do much for the next few hours), I decided I just needed to ride. We did get rain during the day, but both my commutes were dry, so I was quite happy about that.

This afternoon, the temps were in the 50s, so I took a quick 10 mile ride after work between rain storms.

Gordonm

Today the weather was kind to us. Started at 38 degrees and went to 50. Rode 28 miles with a local cycling club and then came home and added another 23 for a total of 51. I have not done that in a while due to weather. Felt good.

raffi

It's been very warm for this time of year. Unfortunately, it has; also been pretty wet. However, today we were in the high 50s and it was dry. The sun even showed itself for a while. I managed to get a nice 23 mile ride in wearing just shorts, short sleeve jersey and a light windbreaker. If anything, I was overdressed with the windbreaker.

Hopefully, I will get a couple of commutes in this next week. It is supposed to stay warm and after a bit of rain, should be dry too.

rwallen

Hi all!

Haven't posted in a while.  I have been trying to figure out how to post a picture for raffi.  It seems like I had this dilemma the last time.  The little add photo button asks for a url.

Anyway, I finally missed my first day of the year last week.  I could have ridden but I didn't.  Frankly, I just didn't want to I guess.  I didn't add any more indoor riding.  So, I'm still at 7 days.  The rest have been outside.  I don't know what will happen today or tomorrow.  Today, I start prepping for a colonoscopy and tomorrow I have it.  :(

Anyway, this weekend was awesome.  I got in a good ride with some friends and then did 12 miles pulling my granddaughter around in a trailer for a total of 53 miles.  Yesterday, I got in 23.  Both days were great...70+ temps.

JT, any particular reason why you didn't mount your camera forward facing?  I can't use it that way when I riding the spin bike.  :)  Thanks for sharing!

Take care all and happy biking!

raffi

Rick, How to post a picture is not obvious. The trick is to click on more reply options and then you can attach a file. It took me quite a while to find it.

ORjt

Hi all,

No riding last weekend, too much rain - (well, I did get on the excercise bike for ~35 minutes Saturday). Sunday, spent a good part of the afternoon out pruning a pear tree. So far, the coming (long, yay!) weekend is looking good - temps are predicted to be near 60. Boy, are we gonna have a bad bug season this summer ...

Rick - the 'prep' work for the colonoscopy really is the worst part.  As for the camera - it's really marketed as a 'safety' device, rather than something like a GoPro (though, I think, the same company is now making a front facing camera), so it's intended to face to the rear. Normally, it just continually records, and once the SD (micro) card fills up, it loops back, and records over the oldest files. If a crash is detected (bike falls over), then it stops recording after ~1hr. Hope I never have to use it :) .

Raffi - the traffic is mostly not bad (though I'm sure it's heavier in places than what you see). *Most* of the drivers are actually pretty good, and I try to do my part.  About the worst is the occaisonal jerk in a diesel 4wd that thinks it's cool to dump diesel smoke (google for 'rolling coal' if you're not aware of the phenomenon).  Well, we all know what their issue is, anyway ...  I can't say I've had to deal with any other overt hostility ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

I'm still logging miles on the rollers in the garage Tue, Thu, and Sat. I simply cannot get my brain to do this daily although my body will allow it the brain refuses. Today I realized why I'm blitzed at the end of 30 minutes. Knowing I'm planning a short duration ride I go flat-out, whereas when I used to go for a hour I started slower and then built up to a really fast pace and then slowed. This year I'm starting off at a pace in excess of 30 mph and spinning it out for the full 30. I guess that is why intervals work.

Glad to read that others have access to the roads. Of course the TV bicycle racing season has started so I'm getting that visual motivation but every time I look out and see the snow, ice, salt and sand,... Depressing.

raffi

Our weather this week has been gorgeous. After a couple of days of rain, things warmed up and dried up very nicely. I ended up doing 3 consecutive commutes. I was not sure I could pull it off, but I'm actually no where near as worn out as I expected. I pushed pretty hard on yesterday's commute home and was still able to get going this morning. Next week is supposed to be pretty warm as well. Hard to believe it is February.

For all of you on the East coast, I'm really not trying to gloat. :) I'm sure our turn will come.

rwallen

Hi all,

raffi, this is the picture I was talking about.  When I saw it I thought of you for some reason.  It may be more appropriate for Ronin considering the weather out East.

post-35267-0-31839800-1423913266_thumb.jpg

Ronin, the transition from bike to spin bike is hard for me.  Once I do, I can ride the spin bike daily.  Sometimes, the transition back to the bike can be hard too.  I get comfortable being in the warmth and being able to watch tv or surf the web.  However, I haven't made that transition to the spin bike yet. 

I have been off of the bike 4 days this month.  The day I prepped and the day I had my colonoscopy I think I could have rode.  If nothing else, I could have ridden the spin bike.  I guess I sort of used it as an excuse.  Anyway, the colonoscopy went well.  So, I'm good to go for another 5 years, maybe longer if my doctor says I can.  I have several funny stories about my drug induced state afterwards but I won't bore you.

In spite of missing a few days I am on track for what could be my best year of pedaling something and best of all, getting outside.  It does appear that I will have to be on the spin bike for several days as our weather is supposed to turn pretty cold for at least a week.  Still, today looks good, more so this morning until about noon or so.  So, I hope to get in a few miles.

Stay warm, stay safe, and have a happy Valentines Day.  My honey is visiting her dad in Topeka.  So, I am without her company this weekend but after 35 years of marriage, I think that's ok.  :)

Ronin

Rick, et al.,

Rick: Cute and a half! As I type this looking out the window another snow storm is laying down more snow. Fortunately it is quite cold and the system is an: "Alberta Clipper" so it's going to pass through quickly.

My body has been giving me a lesson in what an almost 70 year old male should and should not be doing, even on rollers. I've been getting a lot of muscle aches in the hip flexors and gleuts (these are the muscles you work when you spin - quads kick in at lower rpm's or climbing). Okay, I don't stretch as much as I should but I also go flat-out kicking the single bike up to an average speed of about 30.5mph for a half hour. When in the 52x11 I'm usually hitting over 35 mph approaching 36.

Today I woke up almost crippled from screaming muscles so today's roller session was at a much more gentle pace followed by lots of stretching and ibuprofen as well as icing the major muscles. I hope I feel better tomorrow (a scheduled rest day). I think I learned a lesson about the fine-line between exercise and abuse of myself. I'm not in my 20's anymore nor am I preparing for any races - no need to go flat out all the time.

Busy day tomorrow and concert tickets as well. Have a great weekend everyone.

ORjt

HI all,

As with Raffi, nice weather (unseasonably nice) in the PNW.  Out for 23 on Saturday, and another 30 on Monday. Temps on the bike right around 60.  It's a bit cool for shorts/ss -- still need light cover to keep the breeze off the skin.  More wind on Monday - but not quite to 'character builder' status. Enough to notice when I turned into it ... but it was nice to be outside.  Lots and lots of people out riding on Saturday; at a guess, I'd say I saw ~30 while out on my ride.

All that said - I'd trade a few nice days for a decent bit of snow in the mountains. Snowpack is something like 10% of normal, and we've really not had any freezing weather this winter.  Not looking good for the summer - lots of bugs, and perhaps a bad fire season ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.