Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronin

2015 Bicycling - Keeping the Pace

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

I we folks in the NE could arrange it we would be more than happy to have all the snow and cold hit the PNW. Frankly I'm tired of winter and we haven't had the worst like the folks in eastern MA.

I think I finally found the root-cause of my back and hip pain. Too much right leg, not enough left leg. In fact I noticed that my right thigh tended to brush the top tube. So, today I made a conscious effort to put a lot more effort into the left leg and it seems to have worked. I was even aware when my right thigh started moving towards the top tube to increase the left leg pressure and the right moved. As I type this, hours after my TdG session, there is no back pain - yes I did stretch and ice the muscles but I do that most days.

I don't see riding on the roads here any time soon and when we do we will have to be really careful - pot holes galore. Winter in the NE US.

raffi

Brrr.... After our unseasonably warm temps the last couple of weeks, our much more seasonable temps the last few days feels quite cold.  It was in the low 20s on this morning's commute and I was not able to keep my water from freezing. Good thing I don't sweat as much when it's that cold.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Raffi, I'll see your low 20's and counter with negative two. Today's TdG session was cold as the garage was only 28 degrees.  I stayed zipped up for almost the entire ride only lowering the zipper on my jacket at minute 25 of 30.  Still working on a better balance on keeping both legs working kind of even. 

Hope everyone else is having better weather than me.  I suspect Gordon has miserable conditions as well considering that the last storm hit southern NJ harder than the north.

raffi

Ronin, Brr! I think that would keep me in doors. However, if it were sunny, I'd probably at least think about venturing out.

Today's commute was a bit warmer and on the commute home I passed the 10,000 mile mark on my 29er.

ORjt

Hi all,

Ronin/Gordon: hang in there, you'll thaw soon enough

Raffi: how long did it take you to get to 10k?  I've been riding since late 2009, and I think I'm still a smidge below 10k.  I don't have much in the way of records for '10 and '11, but based on what I do have recorded, and what I think I remember, I'm at about 9300 miles.

I've been out here and there - most recently for 15 miles last Saturday - we had tickets for a concert, with a bit of a drive; that was about all I could squeeze in with the time I had available.

Sunday, met up with a friend of mine; he's now the proud owner of the older of my 3 bikes. Good outcome for us both - he's wanting to get into riding, and that bike was a decent entry level bike, lots of life left in it.

We may actually get some rain this week, with snow up in the mountains (!) , then clearing again for the weekend ...

Stay safe out there!

-JT

raffi

ORjt, I started back into riding in February 2010. I passed 10k total miles in September 2013. My current total miles is around 17,000. I'm expecting to pass 20k sometime this year.

As for the 10k on my 29er, I bought that bike in December 2011 so it was a bit over 3 years.

rwallen

Hi all!

Well, it looks as though February will go down as a so-so month.  I think it will actually be the best February yet but not by much.  Because of the weather I haven't been able to get outside as much.  With the exception of 2 days I have pretty much been on the spin bike since the middle of the month and I actually missed 5 days of riding either inside or out.  That's kinda disappointing considering my perfect January.  To date, I have about 1000 miles logged with 850 being outside.  So, it hasn't been too bad!  Still, I am dreaming of warmer weather and looking forward to DLST although I won't be able to take advantage of it until our weather improves.

If you're able to get out, stay safe and WARM.  If not, I feel your pain!  :)   Take heart!  Warmer days are ahead!

Rick

raffi

Rick, this February has been amazing in my neck of the woods. I'm over 400 miles for February and a ride away from 800 for the year. While I'm not in your league in mileage, I'm getting a great start on the year.

I did manage 3 commutes this week, but I don't know if I will get a ride in today or not. I'd like to so that I can get 800 miles for the year by the end of February, but there's enough other things that need getting done that I don't know if it will be possible.

The first part of next week is kind of iffy, pretty cold (highs in the 30s or low 40s), but it is supposed to warm up by the end of the week and be very nice by next weekend. Warmer days do seem to be ahead.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Ok Rick, rub it in. Here in NJ the roads are miserable, snow narrowed and filled with potholes that could devour a Smart Car with ease. The temperatures are, at best, in the upper teens and NOAA keeps telling us that there is more snow and deep-cold in the foreseeable future. However, I'm glad that somebody is riding outdoors while I face the garage three days a week (all my brain will tolerate). I harbor the feeling that the snow will never go away and that we're trapped in some version of a "Groundhog Day" winter - not repeating the same day -- just the same weather --FOREVER!

The worst of this is that, with the garage in the high 20's I have to work really hard to go out there and do my 30 minutes. So, compared to prior years my miles are much lower and my BG checks aren't as good as I'd like them to be. FWIW: I did an eating modification and have gotten back down below 150 with my sights on 145 (peak season weight). We'll see if the A1c comes in better tomorrow. I'm also beginning to wonder if my "honeymoon" of over eight years is coming to an end. Of course it could simply be the miserable weather - slightly higher temperatures would have had me doing a lot more but in this weather I won't even walk outside it's just too darned cold. (end of rant)

Time to finish some stuff and backup the computer.  Tomorrow will be another busy Sunday as we're providing car service to the musician for our church who had an accident back in Dec and really doesn't have the cash for a new car. We hope he gets one by the time the snow melts (if it ever does) so that we can re-start our Sunday-16's. Getting back in shape is going to be rough this year.

ORjt

Hi all,

Well, the nice weather we're having in the PNW does have its own drawback. Trees are starting to bloom, and with it, a ton of pollen.  Worst allergy reaction I've had in a long time (at least, I presume it's that, and not a cold --> the only thing not entirely consistent with my usual allergy response is a sore throat - but it feels more like irritation from a ton of sinus drainage , than a viral thing).

I was able to get out both days last weekend, 41 miles total split 27 and 14 (Saturday/Sunday).  A major road construction project looks like it'll disrupt a portion of my commute (once I get enough light to start biking in). Part of the Sunday ride was spent scoping out alternatives, and I think I've found a way around the construction).

Weather guessers are predicting near 70 this weekend (nearly a month early if we hit it); we'll start our TdC group rides this weekend, too.

Stay safe out there (if you can *get* out there!) ...

--JT

rwallen

Hi all!!

raffi, not much different on miles.  I continue to log miles inside but haven't been outside for a while.  Our roads were just getting nice and clear then it snowed again.  We're supposed to get some warm days ahead but I won't ride outside until the streets are free of snow.  I can handle wet roads but not snow covered.

Ronin, not rubbing it in.  I have been pretty much in the same boat as you with the exception that my spin bike is inside where it's nice and warm.

JT, good to hear that you're getting out.  Our weather is supposed to be turning nice and as soon as the roads are clear, I'll be back out again!  You planning any cycling trips this year?

DLST and the warmer days coming up will help out quite a bit.  My wife and I are heading towards Florida a week from tomorrow.  I am taking my bike.  So, I hope to get in some good morning rides in some warmer cities. 

I signed up and paid for the DNR Katy Trail ride that happens in June.  So, I'm anxious to do it again, this time fully loaded and, more or less, self-supported.  I have a 3 day ride at the end of this month if the weather is decent.  The ride creator tore his MCL?  So, I don't know how that will affect things.

Anyway, take care and stay safe!

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

I think that NJ has slipped into Narnia, where it is always winter but never Christmas. Getting hammered with yet another snow storm. I'm trying to up my roller sessions but it's difficult to wrap my mind around yet another session although I only have to look outside to know that bicycling outdoors is in the far distant future. And once the snow actually melts we have to deal with potholes and a state budget that has an empty highway maintenance trust fund,  Our esteemed Governor says the roads look just fine to him - as seen from the Governor's helicopter somewhere above 5,000 feet all roads looks great - can't see any potholes from there so they must not exist.  Besides future Presidents have more to worry about than potholes.

JT: I envy you the 70 degree temperatures although I do know that your mild winter does not bode well for the water supply as spring and summer approach. No snowpack means no water. 

ORjt

Hi all,

Rick: no 'trips' planned for this year, but I'll hit several (4? 6?) of my favorite local 'event' metric centuries. One year, I'd like to do CycleOregon, but that may have to wait till I retire.

Ronin: It's really odd - the snowpack is horrible, it's like 8% of normal. Mt Hood looks like July, rather than March. However, the precip for the year isn't that far off either here in the low-lands, or up in the mountains. So, we may not have a drought per se --> my really big fear is a bad fire season, and a bad bug season. We're already seeing mosquitos.

So, as luck would have it, I came down with some sort of respiratory crud this week. I feel better today, but not 'well', yet. I'll still get in a short ride this weekend, but likely not anywhere near the mileage that I'd like.

On the year, I'm at about 200miles; this is pretty consistent with each year, going back to 2012.  What I really want to avoid is the March Debacle of last year - I only logged 72 miles for the month.  Hoping that with DLST, I can get in some short afternoon rides ... (on the plus side, though, I'm *way* up on exercise bike time <I don't count miles for that - I have no idea what the correlation is> - when I've been out riding, I've felt really good).

Hang in there, y'all - it'll get better.

-JT

raffi

Despite what the foreseeable future looks like back east,, Spring will get here eventually. Next year, you might consider spiking Puxatony Phl's feed with some valium so his shadow's not so scary. ;)

While our weather is not bad (actually it's been very good), it has been kind of a slow start this month. I only got two commutes in. I was prepared for the third, but I seem to be fighting a cold and decided (despite afternoon temps around 60) that I would not ride yesterday. I did get to ride into the Men's breakfast this morning, but much further would probably have kept me off the bike.

Keep safe and think Spring.

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

YEEeee HAAAaaaaa! On the road again.  I just could not stay inside.  Yeah, the roads are narrow, there are puddles all over but in the end a dirty bike and a happy me. Temperatures in the mid 40's and I used a lot of muscles that the rollers never engage.  A good ice-down following and then a self massage (Linda never got the technique down) and I felt great. Of course I had to clean the bike before it came inside - way too dirty but that only took about 10 minutes total.

With any luck I'll be out on the roads again today.  I know that there will be some more TdG sessions but there will also be time on the road.

ORjt

Ronin,

That's great news!

For me, I was out, twice, on Saturday. A short 10 mile 'Tour de Cure' group ride in the morning, along the Willamette river in Portland, followed by a 15 mile solo outing after I got home. Despite the mid 60's temp, still not quite warm enough for short/ss jersey.  *Very* light base layers were quite enough, though.

Despite the lingering respiratory crud, I felt really good.

I'm hoping that I can get in my first afternoon/post-work ride today.  It's looking like rain for the weekend, but it's hard to tell, this far out, what'll actually happen.

Stay safe (when you can get) out there!

--JT

Ronin

JT, et al.,

Sounds like you are having a good start to the 2015 season. I'm sure the respiratory infection will clear up soon.

I wish I could be in lighter riding gear but I'm still in the winter weight kit.  Despite the ambient temperatures the breeze across the snow along with the higher humidity makes it a bit raw despite temperatures in the mid 40's to low 50's. 

We're having a light rain as I type this message and hopefully I'll be out again tomorrow.  Unfortunately for Linda it is still way to wet and salty to put the steel frame tandem on the road. Even if we clean the bike right after a ride that darned salt creeps into all kinds of places. Fortunately she is still in the middle of her annual project for the charity where she is on the board so she really doesn't have time for tandem rides.

Reporting back on my A1c of 6.0, I cut back the carbs more and I'm finally seeing good results - this morning the FBG was 92 - okay that is one moment-in-time but it looks like I just needed to tighten up the diet a bit - although I do miss those carbs. Also, I'm no longer having a post prandial droop - I think my body was telling me something but I wasn't listening.

raffi

It's been shorts and ss jersey weather on my commutes home this week. The thermometer said 73! when I got home. The official temperature was closer to 68. We are supposed to get some much needed rain tomorrow, so I will use it as an excuse for a rest day. Hopefully I'll get another commute on Thursday.

Last Sunday, I took the fatbike out on a couple of dirt roads. They are pretty dry for this time of year, so no mud issues. It was lots of fun.

ORjt

Hi all,

Ah, the first PM after-work ride. 11 miles, cloudy but warm (mid-60s), finally ditched the base layers and just went for the shorts/ss jersey (t-shirt underneath, for just a bit of extra core warmth).  Still having some sinus drainage from the respiratory crud, but nothing in the lungs. Normally, Tu/Thur have been my mid-week exercise bike nights - it was nice to be able to get out on the road bike instead.

And, as Raffi noted, rain today, and likely this weekend, but the weather guessers are threatening a 70 degree day in between ...

Stay safe out there!

--JT

rwallen

Hi all!

Finally, some riding outdoors.  How long did it take me to get used to the spin bike?  Lets see, I ran a stretch of 19 days, 2) I was actually outside, and 2) I didn't ride.  I can't say I really got very used to it.  How long did it take me to get back in the groove on riding outside?  Let me think, 1 !  :)  I had to get out early on Sat.  So, I missed riding in the 60s.  It was 30 when I got out.  Sunday, I was able to ride twice and I have been outside since.  We leave, heading towards Florida, on Friday.  Even though I'm taking my bike there may be a day or two that I won't be able to ride or will have to ride a hotel exercise bike.  We'll see. 

I'm glad that you all have been able to get outside even though it may have not been consistently for one reason of another.  "Riding season" is just around the corner though!!

Take care!

Ronin

Hi Everyone,

Still to cold to consider bare arms and legs here in NJ. The rains last night got rid of a lot of snow. Unfortunately, the melt just made the puddles larger as many of the storm drains are still buried under mounds of snow-pack from all the plowing. It eventually seeps down but this morning there were lots of big puddles. Some towns have the front end loader actually putting the remaining snow in trucks to be hauled off somewhere and thereby clear the drains.

So far I'm good for about an hour on the roads and I'm not going to push it too hard. Getting back in road shape is a bit harder every year - yeah, I'm old!  I happy that somebody is out in Spring like conditions.

Axel Slinger

Greetings from the Redwood Empire! Around here we have two seasons, Summer and Wetter. It's supposed to be Wetter now, but we're in the fourth year of an Exceptional Drought here in California. So even though we're at 86% of normal rainfall for the year, it's still pretty dry. But for bicycling, it's been great weather. My bike, "Ol Bessie", has 24,828 miles on her now...

raffi

Axel Slinger, welcome.

Here in the pan handle of Idaho, we are having a similarly good biking winter/spring, though I'd trade a few of the biking days for enough moisture so that we don't end up with a bad fire season.

What kind of bike is "Ol Bessie"?

Axel Slinger

Well, she started out as a 2005 Trek Navigator 100 that I bought new. After I put 9,500 miles on her, I rebuilt her from the ground up using the best mountain bike parts I could get locally, which were mostly Shimano Deore. I also bought a set of Sunringle Rhyno Lite rims. Because I feel she saved my life, I rebuilt her rather than replacing her after I wore out the stock parts. I was talking to a Trek rep at my local bike shop and he said that if I had a little better quality frame, as a Trek Navigator 100 is the lowest priced "comfort bike" they made at the time, I would have the equivalent of the best mountain bike they make. She's a bit on the heavy side now, and she's due for a tune up soon as she's coming up on 25,000 miles. I also spent a small fortune on a BOB trailer, a set of orange Ortlieb saddle bags and a bunch of quality camping gear (mostly Kelty) for a nice cross country bike trip I may never get to take. But I have everything I need now, should my health and that of my Missus ever allow it...

Here's a photo of her from shortly after I rebuilt her in 2011...

ol_bessie.png

ORjt

Hi Ax,

Welcome to the thread! - Thanks for sharing the photo, I always like to see what other folks are riding. That's an impressive mileage total you've got going there.  I'm still a bit under 10k, since very late in 2009. (Some of it is 'guesstimation', so it's kind of hard to tell).

Stay safe out there!

--JT

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.