Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

The potential of harm from diabetes "supplements"

miketurco
I came across a reference to berberine, stating that this particular supplement "has been shown to reduce blood glucose as effectively as metformin." That's a pretty tall claim but thought I'd poke around and do a little research anyway.

Came across an article regarding not just berberine, but other supplements and medications as well. The article is definitely worth the read and I thought I'd pass it along.

Mike

dowling gram

As with all herbal medicines you have to be very careful, know what you are doing and find a trusted brand. There are some potentially good medicines in herbs but they are all untested and unregulated. Some brands may contain very little of the active ingredient and are mostly fillers and others are good. The trouble is that if you've never taken herbs or have never had anecdotal evidence you don't know which is which. Herbs can be dangerous if you take too much too. You can get very sick or even die.They are after all medicines and should be treated as such

jwags

I think people want to believe in some type of miracle supplement. They will take all sorts of supplements and not consider any diabetic meds or diet change. I see people like that all the time on other Diabetes online sites.

samuraiguy

Like medications supplements need to be weighed on a risk versus reward basis. I think our numbers need to dictate this and if you don't have better BG, lipids or any other test level you are targeting improve after 6 months of use then odds are it's not working and then all you are doing is subjecting yourself to any possible negative side effects. If it is something relatively harmless in normal doses (not mega doses) like cinnamon and it makes you feel better and your BG may be lower just from the good vibes of using it then by all means go for it.

jwags

I think the only time you need to supplement is if a lab test shows you are deficient in something. Lots of people who supplement are just guessing.

Cora

For some reason, people are afraid of a prescription "medicine", but are completely comfortable with a "supplement". The definition of medicine is simply something that is used to treat or prevent disease/symptoms. So they are trading something that has a track record of being tested with a pretty much guaranteed purity level for something allegedly "natural", with no or minimal testing and no government regulations regarding what is in it or the purity. In qualified studies, over the long term, you at least know what the costs are versus the benefits. Not so with a supplement.

Do I take some? Of course. For a few things, with proven valid medical studies. And those are few and far between.

ant hill

I was on many drugs then changed doctors, I was on a Statins and a Heart med and Cumadin. Now I just have Vit D. The Herb Medicines are of some concern as the Chinese see this as food. So Food thy Medicine??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.