Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2015 Running

Caravaggio

A late start for 2015.

Fellow runners, let's keep running this year. Prospective runners, give running a try this year (but start slowly).

Caravaggio

This morning, I had my first run of the year. I know it's late but here are my excuses: one, I went snow boarding last week (cross training); and two, I've had early morning meetings these past few days.

My legs held up well during the 45-minute run. The wind chill factor was higher this morning but it's still not that bad. I'm so glad to be out and running again.

graham44

I did a local new years day run but other than that im heavy into "dreadmill" zone right now. I hate the treadmill but I do tend to focus more and push myself a lot harder when im on a treadmill. Im trying to alternate a day of long slow run, then a day of speed work...then a day of long bike training...then a bike/run day. 1 day a week Ill take a day right off from all leg work to recover a little. Got to get my butt to the pool and start mixing in some swimming...its just so time consuming to get to the pool from here! But its that or drown so I guess Ill get to the pool :)

Caravaggio

I hate the "dreadmill" as well. Last Tuesday, I could have gone to the gym next door to my office to run on the dreadmill but I couldn't get myself to do it. Maybe it's psychosomatic but my knees hurt when I use the treadmill. It doesn't matter which treadmill at which gym. Hence, if I'm training, I'm out there, rain or shine or snow (other than a blizzard or if the road gets really slippery, which is rare).

I gotta work on my cycling. That's another goal this year.

rfrankr

I'm having trouble starting out this year. Had a good 7k trail run monday. Felt good. A 4k run last night. Legs feel good now. I picked up the pace but ended up walking a bit on the way back. Legs and breathing felt ok so it must have been mental why I walked. Stupid brain.

graham44

yeah its hard to shut the brain off sometimes...actually most times lol. I heard somewhere (on the internet so its probably only semi-true) that when you get tired and your brain starts trying to convince you to stop and walk, you're really at only about 40% of where you physically need to stop...sounds about right. People are "soft" and we dont like discomfort.

Do any of you guys "chant mantra's" while you run? I try to come up short simple phrases I can let run through my head in cadence with my footfalls and breath. One I use when my brain is telling me my legs need to rest (...and im only 1/2mile into my run lol) Is "my body...is stronger...than my...mind thinks" and I'll just repeat it and repeat it until I get so annoyed I dont care about my "tired" legs anymore :)

Caravaggio

Sometimes I chant mantras. I make them up as I run, depending on what I need to keep myself going.

Often I sing, either in my head or out loud. All sorts of songs, although my all time favorite for running is James Brown's I Feel Good. These days, I rarely listen to music or audiobooks anymore. I find that concentrating on listening, especially on audiobooks, tends to slow me down.

The other thing I do when I start getting tired on long runs is to focus on an aspect of running, such as trying not to shuffle my feet, lifting my legs, or keeping my back straight. Soon I forget that I'm tired. It's also good mental practice for marathons.

Caravaggio

I did my 19 K run yesterday (Saturday). I ran on an empty stomach (except for VESPA supplement - 5 grams carbs), and survived. Not as bad as my half-run last November which I also did on an empty stomach (but without VESPA). 

I have to be honest and say that I'm not looking forward to next week's training schedule. I plan to go skiing next weekend (keeping fingers crossed), which means that I can't do the next long run on that weekend (as I usually do). So, I'll have to do my long run next Friday. Since I have to be at the office at a set time, I will have to run early on Friday - when it's still dark and COLD! 

What's your schedule next week?

rfrankr

Well tonight's run wasn't too successful. But better than not going. Especially since yesterday's trail run got rained out. I knew my Bg of 97 at the start of my 4k was a bit low but tried anyway. I was done at 3k. Kept a brisk walk the rest of the way though. At the end I was at 57 and nauseous. Seems kinda ridiculous (and frustrating ) I have to "fuel" for such a short distance. I guess I should've had those 2 cookies 30mins prior to the run. Oh well, I'll plan better tomorrow.

graham44

my run schedule is pretty "mixed"...I'm still mixing long slow runs with "sprint" workouts. Im trying to really work on speed but also do 1-2 75min runs. I tweaked my hamstring a little last week so instead of doing 4 x 1mile sprints (at 6:30/mi) I did 4x2 mi (at 7:30/mi)...and it kicked my butt. I think im making more progress by doing the speed work than I was by doing 4-5 long slow runs a week...its also less time and less miles/ pounding. 2 "speed" days and 1-2 long days is my plan of attack for the next few weeks.

Caravaggio

I managed to squeeze in my scheduled runs this week although my long run this morning was a few kilometers short of what's on my training schedule. I normally do long runs on the weekends but I'm skiing this weekend, so I had to do my long run this morning before work. Guess what? I overslept and had to cut the run short. Last Wednesday, I had to do a 45-min run in the middle of the afternoon (I'm lucky that I have flexi time at the office and a gym with decent shower facility next door).

Graham, I agree about doing speed work. I do different runs for my short runs, then easy run for my long runs. Even for long runs, I sometimes do a faster pace in the middle of the run. Speed work definitely helps. The other thing I would suggest you put in once in a while is hill run.

rfrankr

Lol. That's funny.

So today I went on a 5k trail run. Felt great. It's been tough getting back into running though. I signed up for a mud run in June so I need to get back into it. I need to hit the gym too since there's more to it than running.

Caravaggio

The photo reminds me of a Japanese runner at my first marathon in 2007. The runner was carrying a placard (wrapped in plastic to protect it from the rain). The placard said (in Japanese) something like "I was born in X year and if you are reading this, then you must run faster and do not give up". I can't remember the exact words. The man at that time would have been in his late 70s.

I had a one-hour run this morning. It was so cold, I had great difficulty breathing while running. I forgot to take a neck warmer with me (which I use to cover my nose and mouth). After the run, my husband told me that I was inhaling air from Siberia. That should teach me to check weather forecasts even for short runs.

Fellow runners in cold places, stay warm.

graham44

the people i saw during my 1st ironman were the ones who really opened my eyes to "not judging a book by its cover". There were dozens if not 100's of people that if you saw them walking down the street you wouldnt think they could finish a 5k...and I mean that with no disrespect to them because they went out and finished 140.6 miles and a lot of them kicked my butt in the process...but to look at them youd never think they could do it. My favorite was a guy i met who was 74 and he didnt do his 1st triathlon till he was 70.

Caravaggio

I forgot to specify that the man was carrying the placard on his back.

First triathlon when he was 70! This gives me plenty of time to prepare.

I'm off to the gym for a lunch time run on the dreadmill. It's wet and incredibly cold outside, so even if I hate running indoor, I'll have to do that today.

rfrankr

I ran a nice slow 5k tonight with no walking. I've been doing about 50 push ups and planks each day. I signed up for a mud/obstacle run on June 20th so I have some work to do.

Caravaggio

I had my long run yesterday. Given that my legs were still tired from last weekend's skiing, I was surprised that my legs held out as they did. I think what made the difference was that I had a proper meal a couple of hours before my run. I've been experimenting with running on an empty stomach, but I think it works to a point, at least in my case. For me, half-marathon distance is about it. Beyond 20 K, my body is just asking for an energy source. 

My pre-run meal consisted of eggs, veggies, lamb sausage, blueberries, half an apple and half a persimmon. And coffee! I know the list is long, but let me assure you that the quantities were small. It was just a regular weekend breakfast. 

Caravaggio

Another run on the dreadmill today. :(

It was raining when I woke up this morning, so I decided to run in the gym today. Of course, by the time I got to the office, the sun was out and shining so brightly! Much as I hate the treadmill, at least it's a good means of working on speed work. Problem was the gym's thermostat was way up, like most Japanese establishments.

graham44

agree on the speed work...i prefer running outside but I make much better gains from treadmill training. It just forces me to maintain my pace where as i slack off running in the real world :)

Caravaggio

I'm skipping my long run this week.  I will go skiing this weekend. So, I scheduled my long run for this morning (Friday) before going to work. But, I worked until about 2 am (Friday am) so I'm tired and couldn't wake up before 6 for my run. Actually, even if I managed to wake up, I wouldn't risk running after very little sleep. Even now, at the office, I'm tired and couldn't get myself to go to the gym to use the treadmill.  Then, it snowed this morning; by around 8 am, the snow turned to rain.

I hate skipping a long run as it's hard to make up for it.

I arrive at the ski slopes tonight. Instead of partying, I'd probably be asleep as soon as I arrive.

Keep warm, fellow runners.

rfrankr

I did a 7.5K trail run today. It's been tough getting back into running. First my knee then my heel/Achilles/calf. Everything feels great now. We'll see how tomorrow morning feels.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.