Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2015 Running

Caravaggio

1 hour run this morning. Great day, blue sky, Mt. Fuji very clear in the horizon. It was a bit chilly so I had on 3 layers of long sleeved warm shirts. My legs though were still tired from skiing. But I survived, barely. :)

rfrankr

My legs feel great today and NO achilles pain! So far. If this holds out today I think putting in about 5k tonight while the wife plays her softball games is in order.

Caravaggio

Ran my long run yesterday. Thank God I did because Tokyo is mostly miserable and wet today. My feet and legs are now recovering with these tight socks. 

post-12306-0-07466900-1423395878_thumb.jpg

rfrankr

Almost a 10k trail run today. Kind of ran out of steam around mile 4. Luckily it was downhill the rest of the way. Made decent time.

Caravaggio

Whoa! Thems is some wild socks!! Lol

So how long was your long run?

I love these socks! They are compression socks. I'm not promoting them as something that improves performance because I don't know if they do. But, my legs like them when I wear them after a long run.

Too long - 25 K.

rfrankr

Opted for a 10k road run today instead of a trail run. Figured it would be a good change. Plus I think my distance could use some work. I walked more than I was hoping for in the last 2 or 3k. Knees were complaining.

Caravaggio

Another dreadmill run for me today. Too cold for comfort out there. But that's better than nothing.

This week, I'm gearing up for a 37-K run this weekend. I'm not looking forward to it but I'm also looking to just getting it over and done with. I hope it doesn't rain or the north wind from Siberia does not decide to blow south that day.

Caravaggio

I was scheduled to do my longest long run yesterday. At around 18 K, I had to stop. I felt some "pain" coming from what I think are tendons in one of my right toes (the one next to the pinky toe). When I say pain, I don't mean pain from bone break or crack. It's more like someone is bending my tendons or muscles at an angle that is painful or extremely uncomfortable. It wasn't just a niggle. I had to change my running gait and my walking gait. So, I stopped and asked hubby to pick me up.  When I got home and removed my shoes, and walked, it felt like there was a large stone right underneath my right heel. My foot felt fine after about an hour of rest.

I'll see if I can walk or run slowly tomorrow morning. I still have 3 weeks until the marathon so I'm keeping options open. But if necessary, I do a DNS rather than hurt my feet. That'll be a bummer. :(

rfrankr

I'll see if I can walk or run slowly tomorrow morning. I still have 3 weeks until the marathon so I'm keeping options open. But if necessary, I do a DNS rather than hurt my feet. That'll be a bummer. :(

Any better this morning?

Caravaggio

Any better this morning?

Legs seemed fine. But I did just a short run and was taking things easy.

A runner friend suggests that I see a podiatrist as what I've described sounds like metatarsalgia. Despite the fancy name, it can be treated at home, sometimes just with a change of shoes. Come to think of it, I changed my shoes last year to a pair that has a more narrow toe box and less support than my previous running shoes. Also, a new pair of ski boots (also bought last year) may have pinched my toes.

rfrankr

I've been doing quick-ish little 2k runs during lunch at work a few times a week because it's been hard to fit in runs after work lately. Tonight I got in 4k with my new shoes. The run felt great till about 1k from home. BG bottomed. Mostly walked the rest. Got home...tested 56. Should've had an Oreo or 2 before I left.

Caravaggio

I've given up on the marathon this weekend. My feet are not in good shape to do the whole run. :( Bummer.

I'm hoping that my workload will be little lighter this week so I can see a sports injury doctor to get my feet and legs sorted out. I have a feeling what the issue is and what the remedy is but since I've not had this issue before, I think it's best to see a doctor for confirmation.

rfrankr

Wow that's a big bummer. Sorry to hear it. You worked so hard for this. You'll be back though. Get your tootsies fix and get back out there!!

rfrankr

So I do most of my runs at night, but I have a race in a week and a half in the day. Probably will be 80 degrees. Would bundling up with sweats on my daily runs be a good way to acclimate to the heat of race day?

Caravaggio

So I do most of my runs at night, but I have a race in a week and a half in the day. Probably will be 80 degrees. Would bundling up with sweats on my daily runs be a good way to acclimate to the heat of race day?

Interesting question. I've not had this experience before. But I remember when I did an autumn marathon a few years ago, the supposedly cool temperature of 24 or 25 C rose by about 2-3 C on race day. I and others who came countries with hot summers were fine, but those who came from the north (where the summer was a lot cooler than race day) wilted. I recall hearing a few who said that they trained in sweats but still wilted. Others who did well said that they just kept drinking water and ran with the least amount of clothes they could do short of going naked.

Can you do 1 run during the day? That's the best way to find out how you'll fare. If you have no choice, it may be a good idea to run in sweats, at least you can simulate your body heating up.

Good luck!

rfrankr

Did my 10k trail run Sunday. Kicked my butt. Needed a nap after. Lol. So now I have a 5k road race tomorrow. It's supposed to be 91 tomorrow so good thing it starts at8:30 am.

rfrankr

It felt great! I was 74th out of 151 so I think that makes my first finish in the front half (just barely lol) of the field. Oh man my legs were beat after that. I gave them a day of rest then they were ready to run. Yesterday's 5k was good. I was shocked. I finished in the top third. I think the field was full of a bunch of beer drinkers though. It was a pretty casual crowd.

rfrankr

I kind of goofed up on my fueling strategy yesterday. I over-cookied. Pre-race jitters I guess. One too many cookies just before the start. Bg was 97 pre-race and 103 after (perfect!) But climbed to 160 about an hour later. Shorter runs are harder to deal with than longer ones because bg levels out after about 40 minutes. And the extra carbs just get used up.

Caravaggio

I went to see another doctor who confirmed the problem with my feet. Luckily, no fractures anywhere. The source of the stress? My muscles in my right leg and feet are too tight due to the plate and rod inside my leg (from when I broke my leg 2 years ago). The plate and rod are limiting my leg's range of motion, which is affecting the other muscles of my leg and my feet which are compensating, and which also affects my leg left which also has to compensate.  It's not an issue if I'm not a runner but I am and I have no intention of slowing down. So, I'm going to see my surgeon to discuss removing the plate and rod.

In the meantime, I'll be doing a lot of flexibility exercises, which I've not been doing religiously. I can go back to running, although I have to be careful about not running too much.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.