Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caravaggio

2015 Running

Caravaggio

Life would be boring if there is nothing to overcome, right? The only thing I don't look forward to about taking the plate, rod and screws out is general anesthesia.  

Caravaggio

So is there any kind of time line set to get this done?

No. It's up to me. But I'd rather get this done sooner. Before the surgery, my surgeon told me that I can have it removed if I want to. I just had to wait for 1 year from the surgery. It's been 2 years so I can do it any time.

I talked to a friend of mind who is an avid cyclist. He had something similar years ago when he was an active American football player. After 2 years, he took the plate and rod off because of limited leg motion. He recommends that I do it as well if I want to keep moving.

rfrankr

I just signed up for a 15 mile trail run in 6th weeks. It looks like a 5 hour cutoff time. I think I can do it. Although I don't think I've ever tried a 4-5 hour hike/run. Time to hit the hills by my house again. And again

Caravaggio

Good luck! I envy you.

I'm gonna get a second opinion on my leg. In the meantime, I'll be sticking to short runs and will be more diligent in my leg exercises. Not running is just killing me. :(

rfrankr

Well my training for my 15 miler has hit kind of a snag. My right foot hurts. I figure I'm trying to put on too many miles too soon and maybe my shoes. It seems my right arch started hurting soon after I got them. But on the plus side my hips and knees feel much better. So my plan is to change the insoles in my shoes for cushier ones and substitute gym time for most of my running time, at least until my foot feels better. I was hoping to do a couple 15+ mile runs before the race, but it doesn't look like that'll happen.

Caravaggio

rfrankr, if you have access to a pool, that may help in keeping your legs in running shape until your foot gets better.

I suppose you changed the type of shoes you're using (trail running shoes). You may need to give it some time for your feet to adjust - so try not to do too much too soon.

rfrankr

I hit a snag again. Playing softball on Friday something kind of popped in my right foot. 1 week before my race. Probably too many miles too soon and I don't think my shoes are quite right for my feet. Seems like my right arch started hurting soon after I got them. Kind of like the arch support was too far back. Probably should go see the doc before I start back up

Caravaggio

rfrankr, oh no. Shoes are so important for the feet. I really don't care what barefoot runners say, shoes are important. Although there are people who can run without shoes, straw slippers, even on heels or what have you, not everyone can run barefoot without incurring some form of injury.

Did you go to a running shop to get your shoes? Get a staff member who runs and who has been doing that job for a while. He/she may not be a podiatrist or PE graduate but his/her experience can be invaluable. Avoid buying running shoes from department stores or a general sports store where you are least likely to meet a salesperson who has some idea of what you may need.

Can you walk?

I'm not back running but I'm walking and doing a lot of leg stretching and strengthening exercises. I haven't decided about taking out the plate and screws from my leg.

rfrankr

I limp and hobble but I'm getting better every day. I'll probably be able to get back to some easy runs in a couple weeks at this rate.

I did go to a running store. I got Brooks Adrenaline 15. It was probably my fault. They felt a little funny in the arch. Figured they'd "break in". I also felt funny having someone wait on me. Stupid me, that's their job, huh? Now that I know a motion control helps my hips and knees, next time I might just have them pull 10 different shoes and just leave me to try them on myself until I find something that feels good. Oh BTW real running shoes aren't cheap. Lol.

rfrankr

No. It's up to me. But I'd rather get this done sooner. Before the surgery, my surgeon told me that I can have it removed if I want to. I just had to wait for 1 year from the surgery. It's been 2 years so I can do it any time.

I talked to a friend of mind who is an avid cyclist. He had something similar years ago when he was an active American football player. After 2 years, he took the plate and rod off because of limited leg motion. He recommends that I do it as well if I want to keep moving.

How is your foot thing going?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.