Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

81 mg Aspirin - upset stomach?

Hey All,

My doctor suggested that I start taking baby aspirin (81 mg pill) daily.  Everything has been fine until this last week, when I started feeling queasy after taking it, and staying queasy for most of the day.  I forgot to take it yesterday and today, and started feeling better late this afternoon. 

Just a coincidence, or has anyone else experienced this as well? 

Right now, my only meds are my insulins and the aspirin. 

Thanks.

Bountyman

When your doctor suggested taking 81mg of aspirin...why did they suggest that for you, particularly...and what did they say that it would do?

samuraiguy

Yup, I have GERDS and the "protocol" prescribed baby aspirin for diabetics from the tribal clinic I go to made it worse so when I had a calcium scoring test that came back excellent as well as my lipid panel they let me drop it. Looking at the research it looks like unless you are at a very high risk of heart attack--poor BG numbers or already have heart disease or a heart attack--that small of a dose may not be beneficial enough versus the side effects of upset stomach and possible ulcers and stomach bleeding which may raise your blood glucose. I would let your doctor know about your stomach issues and see if there is an alternative if they think you really need it.

dowling gram

Many doctors are telling patients to take low dose aspirin to prevent heart attacks. If you don't think you are at risk then don't take it

Aspirin can irritate the stomach. Have you tried taking it with food or using a low dose--81mg--coated aspirin. The coated aspirin is more expensive than baby aspirin but a better alternative if it bothers your stomach and taking the baby aspirin with food doesn't work

When your doctor suggested taking 81mg of aspirin...why did they suggest that for you, particularly...and what did they say that it would do?

Hi Bounty,

I have high platelet counts - about 120 points over the high end of the normal range.  They suggested that it would help to reduce my chances of developing a clot.

They don't seem very interested in pursuing finding the source of the high platelets, though.  They said they would watch it through a couple more blood panels to see if it resolves itself.    

Yup, I have GERDS and the "protocol" prescribed baby aspirin for diabetics from the tribal clinic I go to made it worse so when I had a calcium scoring test that came back excellent as well as my lipid panel they let me drop it. Looking at the research it looks like unless you are at a very high risk of heart attack--poor BG numbers or already have heart disease or a heart attack--that small of a dose may not be beneficial enough versus the side effects of upset stomach and possible ulcers and stomach bleeding which may raise your blood glucose. I would let your doctor know about your stomach issues and see if there is an alternative if they think you really need it.

I find that interesting - since I started taking the aspirin, I've had to almost double my insulin doses... hmmm.  I've had trouble for about two weeks now keeping my bg's under control. 

Many doctors are telling patients to take low dose aspirin to prevent heart attacks. If you don't think you are at risk then don't take it

Aspirin can irritate the stomach. Have you tried taking it with food or using a low dose--81mg--coated aspirin. The coated aspirin is more expensive than baby aspirin but a better alternative if it bothers your stomach and taking the baby aspirin with food doesn't work

What I purchased was the store brand, 81 mg safety coated (enteric) tablets.  I usually take it at breakfast time with food and my morning coffee.  So maybe too much acid?  

Bountyman

I have high platelet counts - about 120 points over the high end of the normal range.  They suggested that it would help to reduce my chances of developing a clot. They don't seem very interested in pursuing finding the source of the high platelets, though.  They said they would watch it through a couple more blood panels to see if it resolves itself.    

Okay, I just wanted to know if they were just tossing it out there as an additional medication like they do with statins and ACE inhibitors. A platelet count that's lower than normal or higher than normal is often a sign of an underlying medical condition, or it may be a side effect from medication, which, besides insulin, you aren't taking. If your platelet count is outside the normal range, you'll likely need additional tests to diagnose the cause; I doubt it's just going to go away.

One more question. When you do a blood test...does your finger-prick clot up fairly fast? I mean, can you go back about 30 to 45 seconds later and squeeze your finger and get blood again? If you can...I think, even though your count is in the thrombocytosic range and you stay well-hydrated...you'll be fine until you find the source of this.

One more question. When you do a blood test...does your finger-prick clot up fairly fast? I mean, can you go back about 30 to 45 seconds later and squeeze your finger and get blood again? If you can...I think, even though your count is in the thrombocytosic range and you stay well-hydrated...you'll be fine until you find the source of this.

I'm thinking that the insurance company wouldn't let them do anymore testing until the new year, so I have to meet my deductible.  If they'd done anymore from November to December, it would have been free for me.

Yes, I clot up in about 10-15 seconds.  It's a little better when taking the aspirin, but I still clot up fast. I drink about a gallon of water a day (three to four 16.9oz bottles).

Bountyman

If the aspirin is bothering you...you might look into other natural anti-coagulants. Aspirin has been around forever. It used to be a natural thing from Willow tree bark until Bayer synthesized it. Not everyone takes to aspirin. The good news...thrombocytosis is treatable.

Diana_CT

I also take store brand, 81 mg safety coated (enteric) tablets. I have been taking them since my heart problems in 1999. I take it after dinner on a full stomach.

janice21475

You could make a point of taking the aspirin with food. Not just a swig of milk but a meal that will buffer the pill effects. If I don't eat when I take aspirin without eating, I always get stomach pain.

It is not in your head. Hope you get it worked out.

mzteacher

Sorry you are having problems with this. I have no idea if this would work but just tossing it out there. I know that others are suggesting the coated. They recently came out with a baby aspirin that disolves under the tongue. Maybe this might be good to try. You can also cut them in half and take smaller dose 2x a day. Seems to me then nothing "solid" in stomach to cause irritation.  So just an unfounded thought but it makes sense to me! Good luck with this!

funkynassau

Hubby and I have taken a baby aspirin for years with no ill effects.  How about taking it with some food?  I agree, try the coated version, see if that helps.

Ela

I could never ever take Aspirin - coated, with or without food, no matter.  I get nauseous.  So Kelollman you are not alone with Aspirin intolerance.

NoraWI

Just a caution here... Do NOT cut any coated enteric tablets as that destroys the safety absorption factor and they become regular tablets. To add to this discussion, I, too, was told to take a baby aspirin as a blanket thing for all diabetics along with statins, etc.. However, I bruise after taking aspirin on a regular basis. I just told them no and they didn't persist. No statins either, not even lipid tests. At 74, I believe I am entitled to be contrary, especially about taking medication without an immediate specific need.

Stl-T2

In the back of my mind, I've kind of been wanting to take asprin.  My dad died two weeks after his 51st bday of some sort of massive cardiovascular event (stroke or heart attack, but not sure which.)  I sort of thought my doc would recommend it, but not so far and I never remember to ask about it.  Anyway, I'm following this conversation with interest.

jwags

jwags

In the back of my mind, I've kind of been wanting to take asprin.  My dad died two weeks after his 51st bday of some sort of massive cardiovascular event (stroke or heart attack, but not sure which.)  I sort of thought my doc would recommend it, but not so far and I never remember to ask about it.  Anyway, I'm following this conversation with interest.

I think with a family history of heart disease your doctor proabsbly should be running extensive tests to check for early damage. These tests are not part of normal physicals. A good friend of mine has a 36 year old daughter who recently found out she had a heart attack last year and she didn't know about it. The damage showed up on advanced testing. So now she is on asprin therapy.

moe22

Being  diabetics  puts us in a higher risk category than non diabetics (but I guess you knew that already), I have taken both coated & non-coated aspirin (81 mgs.)   for 13 yrs. & I've had no stomach issues  (I take it with my morning meal with my other meds); I do however had upper belly pain with my Ibuprofen ( which I take 3x a day ) for my chronic inflammation but the benefits far out-way the occasional belly pain  , but as someone said on here aspirin can irritate  the stomach , as well as the Ibuprofen I take so it important you take it with food or even milk; to coat the stomach; ( I drink Atkins shakes for my milk_)  & then occasionally regular milk.

jwags

I'm thinking that the insurance company wouldn't let them do anymore testing until the new year, so I have to meet my deductible.  If they'd done anymore from November to December, it would have been free for me.

Yes, I clot up in about 10-15 seconds.  It's a little better when taking the aspirin, but I still clot up fast. I drink about a gallon of water a day (three to four 16.9oz bottles).

At my last physical my doctor suggested some tests since autoimmune disease runs in my family. Insurance didn't cover them but I thought it was important to have them done. They cost me an extra $176. Our deductible is $11,000 so we never meet it.

'kay - here we go:

A little history for those of you who haven't followed me or read older posts:

My blood work has been out of whack since dx in April 2014.  High Red Blood Cells, low White Blood Cells (actually I'm low in monocytes and basophils), enzymes are all out of whack (some high, some low).  Anyway, the biggest deal right now is that I have high platelet counts - about 120 points over the high end of the normal range.  They suggested that taking aspirin would help to reduce my chances of developing a clot, because with high platelets my blood is thicker than it should be, making the risk for a clot higher.  Aspirin thins the blood.  

You could make a point of taking the aspirin with food. Not just a swig of milk but a meal that will buffer the pill effects. If I don't eat when I take aspirin without eating, I always get stomach pain.

It is not in your head. Hope you get it worked out.

Yep, I have been taking it at breakfast, with food... I always have something to eat for breakfast, and my coffee.  I'm going to give it a few days to make sure I don't have a bug, then try again taking it at dinnertime (this is my biggest meal of the day, so maybe that will help).  Although having not taken any aspirin for the last three days - I feel freakin' awesome! 

Have you considered blood donations?

Can't - I was on TPN (nutrients via IV, both a triple lumen Central line in my neck, and a PICC line) for over a month 16 yrs ago when I had my first issues with pancreatitis.  Then I got a sepsis infection from the CVC, and as a result my veins are badly scarred - at least that's what they told me caused the scarring.  It's just about all the lab techs can do to draw blood for regular test panels from my hands and wrists.  I haven't given blood in years as a result. 

If the aspirin is bothering you...you might look into other natural anti-coagulants. Aspirin has been around forever. It used to be a natural thing from Willow tree bark until Bayer synthesized it. Not everyone takes to aspirin. The good news...thrombocytosis is treatable.

Thanks, Bounty - I will try switching to taking the current aspirin at dinner with a bigger meal, and if that doesn't help, I'll look into the alternatives and see if that works any better.

And bonus - my bg's haven't gone higher than 120 ALL DAY!!! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.