Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

sleep and medication timing

miketurco

I'm a night person. I take oral meds at 6am and go back to sleep. I wake up at 10 with a high BG, and the meds take about an hour to kick in. Sometimes, not very often, I stay awake at 6 and the medicine seems to kick in after two hours. I don't have enough data to go on but that seems to be the case. Any thoughts on this? Problem is I think I have to start taking meds at 4. E-gads. I can't imagine going to bed at 10 each night to support that.

dowling gram

It seems to me you have to arrange your med timing to your sleep patterns and life style. It doesn't make much sense to time your meds. like someone who goes to bed at 10 and is up at 6. When do you take your last meds at night? Do you take it with food? Are you supposed to take it with food? When I read about my oral med. it said it works better if taken with food. You never said what dosage you are on or how often you take  your oral meds. Can you split them up so you have a steady dose of medication in your system instead of all in 1 shot.

It's very hard to know when you don't have the whole picture.

miketurco

I take 5mg of glipizide at 6 am for dp. I need to move that up to 4, I think. I also take met three times a day but don't think changing the timing is going to benefit my dp. I usually hit the sack around 2 or 3. I could probably take the glip then but am worried about going low while I'm asleep.

With glip, you're supposed to eat half an hour after you take it, but I usually wake up at 6, take the med and have something mildly carby along with it, like nuts or berries. Then go back to sleep.

jwags

I used to wake up at 3-4 am and take 850 of my 2550 metformin. This did control my DP, more or less. Since giving up coffee I have controlled my cortisol and I am now sleeping thru the night. I as surprised to see my fasting is now lower without the 4 am metformin. So I have cut out that dose and seem to be doing well. I would not take the Glipizide without eating.

miketurco

When I get up at 6 to take meds, I pretty much just go through the motions. I almost always forget to check my bg. When I do, though, it's often off the charts. This week I checked it twice at 6am. On Thursday it was 179. Yesterday it was in the mid 150's. Both totally unacceptable numbers. When I get up, say 9:30 or 10, it's down to the low 130's. Then an hour later it's in the 80's.

Taking glip does lower my bg, but obviously the timing is way off. So I have to change my medication schedule, and maybe I have to go to glip ER as well. I'm wondering whether I need to/should change my sleep schedule as well. I'm going in for some blood tests either this week or next. Then seeing the doctor on 2/6.

Until I take those tests and talk to the doctor, I'm thinking there's not a lot I can do about those crazy bg's, so I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel hoping to find at least a temporary solution.

jwags

One of the side effects of Glipizide it may burn your remaining beta cells out quicker. Have you always had high bgs early in the morning? it could be your body is producing way too much cortisol. Ask your doctor about adrenal testing.

jwags

I think often we only look at the diabetes and not other conditions. Thyroid and adrenal issues many times cause inflammation that causes diabetes symptoms. If you can restore normal hormone levels sometimes bgs do go down.

moe22

My bladder  wakes me up around 6;00ish of the morning when I get back from the bathroom I take my urechloride ( it's suppose to be taken an hour before breakfast or 2 hours after ); I opt for an hour before (Keep water in the floor) ;beside of my bed for this & then go back to bed for an hour  (dose during this time) then maybe up at 7;00 or 7:30, then eat around 8:00 or 8:30 then take my  diabetic med as well as other meds. I like a routine schedule .

miketurco

I've used it in the past too. It works well but I get hit with side effects. Grogginess and depression if I use it more than a few days. Using it, though, I can rest my clock in the or for days.

miketurco

OK, two days bed at 10, up at 5 and I've come to a preliminary conclusion. This is the way to go. My numbers have improved big-time. I'll have to see how things turn out over the long haul. 

jwags

I find my DP usually happens between 5-7 am. So if I decide to sleep in bgs are always higher. How much melatonin are you taking. I find if I take more than 3 mg, I get groggy.

miketurco

I find my DP usually happens between 5-7 am. So if I decide to sleep in bgs are always higher. How much melatonin are you taking. I find if I take more than 3 mg, I get groggy.

I'm taking 3mg, which is too much for me. I'm hoping that tomorrow night, maybe Friday, will be my last night though. By then, hopefully, I'll have reset my clock.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.