Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Growingandglowing

Pregnant-very new to pump-insulin resistance-please help!

Growingandglowing

Hi. I just created this account. I was researching how pumps work: sensitivity setting, basal rate, insulin to carb ratio etc and found this site. I've been seeking community through IG to help get through my T1D pregnancy. I am 19weeks pregnant and since a few days ago my BS have been super high. I got the hang of how to change the settings but I just don't know how much to increase or decrease the sensitivity, basal rate, carb ratio...I've been only pumping since mid Dec 2014 and have already been discharged by my pump nurse a few weeks ago.

It's 3am now but I'm afraid to sleep because when I test every hour my BG keeps creeping up even with the continuous corrections I make. My 12am basal was set at 0.575 but I've changed it to 0.625 u/h. I really don't know if that's too much or too little, trail and error I guess. Also I usually eat the same breakfast every morning but lately my post meal BG is higher than 7.8. Does that mean I have to increase or decrease the carb ratio? I'm so confused. I've been changing my site everyday for the past few days, I don't know what it is but the site starts hurting. Could this be due to my growing belly? Any help, advice, suggestions and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post :)

Tanikit

Congrats on coping this far through a pregnancy. I would definitely go for pump training as you will need to keep changing these levels as the pregnancy proceeds. You become more insulin resistant overall which will require changes in basal level. Sometimes you can set a new profile where all levels are changed by a percentage, of course if there are only certain hours where it goes high then the basals need to be changed about two hours earlier than those highs. You also need to watch what is happening after meals - if you are insulin resistant then you will also need to change your carb ratio. If for example it is 1:10 and you go high after eating then you may need to make it 1:8 (ie you need more insulin for each carb).

Who has been dealing with this earlier in your pregnancy since often diabetics go low through weeks 8-14. You are definitely going to need help to get this right through the whole pregnancy as just changing things without understanding why and what is safe can be very dangerous. You should be seeing the people who help you with the diabetes far more regularly now too so ask them for an appointment as soon as possible as well as for training from the people who supply the pump. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.