Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

Lantus solostar pen questions

mom24grlz

I will never again inject Lantus into my leg after hitting a vein with it, its been all stomach past couple months and will continue to do so.

ouch! Where at in your leg do you inject?  Ashleigh's been doing the outer thigh area.  When she was first dx she used to inject directly on the top part of her thigh!

mom24grlz

Ashleigh told me once that one of the kids at diabetes camp injected her lantus on the inner thigh! That just sounds painful. Ashleigh tried that area once but couldn't do it

Bar&In

outer thigh, just was bad luck I think

I hated stomach shots too because isn't a lot to grab on to in core section but after that vein episode I got over that quick

miketurco

I used the outer side of my thigh last night and got the best results so far. Tomorrow makes only one week, though. There may be a lot of other factors behind those good results.

Chelle D

No... Lantus slowly distributes from the fat tissue.

Personally, I don't change the needle in my pen very often (novolog quick meal insulin pen).... Sometimes I foget & let it go way too long.

I've injected, and look down, and the needle is bent. So.. I don't know how much actually got "in" or if bend in needle "crimped" off the flow.

I inject my Lantus with vial & syringe...Both... I use rotation.  I have two "fat rolls" on belly,   

So, my rotation goes like...

Monday,  upper roll right side, Tues lower roll, right side.

Wednesday upper roll left side, Thurs lower roll left side.

Friday, Right thigh, Sat Left thigh...   Sunday.. center of Belly fat, alternate between upper or lower wether it's quick or lantus, etc.

Also, I start beginning of month as far out to sides as possible... then work my way in... so that by end of month, my left & right side injection sites are only about 4 inches apart.  

Obviously my stomach is wide.  No comments from the peanut gallery if your stomach "4 inches apart" IS about all the way to each side!  Or even marks the half way point.  Yes, I'm quite jealous of you.

Occassionally at work, I inject in fat of back of arm.. Yes, I go thru the shirt if needed.  (I usually inject in restroom, but....) If I forget & sit down to eat in cafeteria & remember & check b.s. and I need insulin, I'll just inject thru the clothes at the table.

art

I never use the Frio

If you're comfortable your pen is too.

I hate tummy shots so I used the upper thigh.

I have no problem using one needle for one or 2 days.

I don't waste 1 or 2 units testing.

I find when I pull the cap off the needle there's a drop of lanthus or insulin dripping from the end of the needle.

Art

miketurco

I've only seen one air bubble, one time. Every unit pushed out before the shoot seems to be a unit wasted. So if I see an air bubble I'll push it out, otherwise I don't worry. I've been at this for two weeks now and am doing much better. Not where I want to be but getting there. I think it takes a while for the body to get used to and start using ex insulin, and it takes a while to find the right dose.

I got two sample vials from the doctor. Pretty soon I'll have to fill my prescription. Don't know what the cost will be, not looking forward to it.

jwags

I would call around at different pharmacies to check out prices. Without insurance the pens are extremely expensive. Many people use the vials or the cartridges.

miketurco

I would call around at different pharmacies to check out prices. Without insurance the pens are extremely expensive. Many people use the vials or the cartridges.

Right now, at Walmart, I'm looking at $175 for two, which I'm hoping will be a month's supply. If I have to start doing bolis, wow. Well, we'll see where it goes. I use goodrx.com to find the best prescription prices, 

Here's a card from Lantus that may bring the price down even more. I have to check it out. https://www.lantus.com/sign-up/copay-registration

The difference between vials and pen seems to be minimal, especially in consideration of having to buy syringes. I like the pens, I have yet to try syringes.

funkynassau

Why throw the needle out after just one use?  I use mine multiple times.

I have a Frio bag and it works great, just finished a 3 week tour around northern Mexico and was pleased at how well the little thing worked!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.