Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbmacomber

"Mild" attack of acute pancreatitis from Victoza

jbmacomber

After having increasing pain for a week and being in touch with my Dr.s, I was sent to ER. Final analyisi was I was having an mild attack of acute pancreatitis, probably from Victoza. My Dr. had already had me stop the Victoza 4 days prior. My enzyme levels are lowering.

Since I can keep liquids down I was sent home with pain meds and am on a clear liquid diet till Monday, whenI can very gradually add yogurt, etc. Today is 3rd day home from ER. Still having pain. HUGE hedache from caffeine withdrawal. Dr. says this can take a while to resolve fully.

Not on any diabetes meds, but with no carb liquids numbers 90-114.

Anyone here ever had pancreatits? How long before I can get off pain meds? Been reading up on diets to help. 

jwags

I am so sorry for you. You hear all those warnings and wonder how doctors can prescribe them. I can't help you with the pain, I have never had pancreatitis.

Kit

I've had pancreatitis before.  That is not fun.  The pain, the nausea.  Did I mention the pain?

Mine was due to gall stones blocking the duct from the pancreas, so I don't know what you should expect for it to ease off, but you have my full and heart felt sympathy.

Chelle D

I had a friend that had pancreatitis (non-diabetic). She took a very very long time to be able to shift back to regular foods. I'm talking many months. (I think over 9 months before she tried meats even) Good luck. I do NOT envy you.   Glad to know this is a possible side effect to Victoza.   Ill be sure to keep that in mind if the Med pusher (doctor) tries to get me on another diabetic med. - Usually she's pushing a cholesterol drug.

jbmacomber

Thanks everyone, I hope it goes away soon. I hope it helps others reconsider Victoza. I am so hungry and it is so weird, to be hungry and have pain. Oh well.

moneymeister

Ugh, I havent had a flare before, but my MIL to be had, and she talks about how terrible the pain was, and hers was also "mild". Glad you didn't have a "severe" case! Feel better soon!

jbmacomber

Good news! My pancreatitis has been determined not to be pancreatitis. Every single test has come back clear, even 2 MRI's. Dr. has decided it is acid reflux. How that can be I do not know. I was iin so much pain again last week I could barely breath. Was taking 2 to 3 prcoset at a time. Have absolutely no symptoms otherwise of acid reflux. 

But... he gave me stronger med for it, I doubted it would work. Have been pain free for 2 days!!! 

He also said it was definitly not from the victoza, good news. Metformin ER does not work for me either, re in the bathroom all day and night.

So tomorrow will be able to be back on LC diet again, and away from all these easy on the stomach carbs.

It is soooo nice to feel good again!!

Seagal

Oh Mac, that is such good news!  hard to believe acid reflux could cause that much pain.  glad it has gone away with the new meds.

jbmacomber

yes, hard to believe. I'm not a wimp either. Used to chronic pain in back from nerve damage, etc.. Thanks!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.