Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Walshdon

Consultant blames me!!!!

Walshdon

Went to see my diabetes consultant today and informed her that I will be going for ivf soon.

We have been trying for three year and no faults found with either of us it just hasn't happened.

My consultant said it is most likely my because my sugars are not perfect 8 or 9 % that my body is just being clever and not letting me get pregnant! !

Is she right?????

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes forums

control

Went to see my diabetes consultant today and informed her that I will be going for ivf soon. We have been trying for three year and no faults found with either of us it just hasn't happened. My consultant said it is most likely my because my sugars are not perfect 8 or 9 % that my body is just being clever and not letting me get pregnant! ! Is she right????? Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes forums

That doesn't sound like casting blame to me.  Maybe your inability to conceive is related in some way to your diabetes.  Maybe it's not. It seems to me like the consultant is just informing you of possible reasons why it is so.  Being armed with as many facts as possible can allow you to tackle the issues one by one.

It's unclear from the verbiage, but if your A1C is in the 8s or 9s, that's too high, even if you're not attempting to conceive. 

Uff Da

My consultant said it is most likely my because my sugars are not perfect 8 or 9 % that my body is just being clever and not letting me get pregnant! ! Is she right?????

Yes, I'm sad to inform you that she may be right.  If the 8 or 9% you refer to is your A1c, this is far from perfect.  And the baby would be at risk at that level.  Please get your diabetes under much better control before you attempt to conceive.  First things first. 

ant hill

How long have you had this disease? That A1C would not help. Even if you do conceive you will have to be on your best with Low Carb!!! Otherwise you will end up with a Big Baby. If you Smoke, Quit!!!!!!

SueM

My hba1c is 79 Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes forums

Then that A1c ='s 9.4 which leaves you in danger without a pregnancy let alone the damage to an unborn child. Your consultant is correct in what she is saying.

Learn to look after yourself first, if you can not do the basics of looking after yourself how do you expect to carry a baby and even if it is born alive it will probably have major disabilities. :(

samuraiguy

The AACE (Endo's) recommends having an A1C as close to or under 6 (no higher than 6.5) as is safely possible for all parts of pregnancy. If you can achieve those levels at least you'll take away that objection from your healthcare team concerning any attempts to conceive.

Moonpie

There are often cases of infertility that cannot have a reason pinpointed, however, you need to do your best to keep your bgs in control for your own health & that of any future children. Best wishes.

Walshdon

I don't smoke and I am healthy weight. Around a year ago I got the pump and my sugars improved. I went on a low carb diet and sugars were 7% but diabetes nurse said I couldn't do low carb if I wanted to have a baby, so started eating carbs again and they keep adjusting my ratio and background on my pump. Now my hba1c has gone from 7 to 9 and have no confidence in nurses as they seem not to know what ratios are now out of sync.

Aggie

I wonder if that assertion that you 'can't do low carb and be pregnant' is at all grounded in fact, or if that is yet another example of the medical profession's lack of knowledge about both diabetes and low carb diets.

Uff Da

Walshdon - May I suggest that you get the book Pumping Insulin by John Walsh and/or Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner.  They will teach you how to adjust your insulin yourself.  They will at least give you enough background to help you make a determination of whether the medical professionals you are working with know enough that you should be listening to them. 

After my PCP diagnosed me as diabetic, she treated me for a year and a half on type 2 meds and I had to practically starve myself to keep my BGs from the stratosphere. (I got down to 105 pounds.)  She finally referred me to an endo, who did the proper tests, diagnosed me as LADA (what we refer to here as a type 1.5) and put me on insulin immediately.  But due to the distance to his office, he was going to turn me back over to my PCP.  I had absolutely no confidence in her ability to assist me with my diabetes, so I got the book Using Insulin by John Walsh (It is similar to the book Pumping Insulin, but for MDI) and taught myself how to make the adjustments needed.  By the time I went back to my PCP, I had my adjustments all worked out and my A1c was back down to 6.4.  Since then my A1c has been running between 5.6 and 5.9.

Some doctors and other medical professionals are wonderful.  I can't say enough good things about my endo.  But some, especially those in general practice who are expected to know something about everything, just don't have enough detailed knowledge of diabetes and the individual differences that diabetics face that they aren't as much help as we'd like.  The way we protect ourselves is to learn as much about it as we can so we can help ourselves.

SueM

I don't smoke and I am healthy weight. Around a year ago I got the pump and my sugars improved. I went on a low carb diet and sugars were 7% but diabetes nurse said I couldn't do low carb if I wanted to have a baby, so started eating carbs again and they keep adjusting my ratio and background on my pump. Now my hba1c has gone from 7 to 9 and have no confidence in nurses as they seem not to know what ratios are now out of sync.

Erm if you have a pump you use it not the nurses. Buy yourself pumping insulin by John Walsh (amazon) Surely it's you who adjusts your basal and not them?

Go back to basics and test your basal properly by skipping meals and testing on the hour over a few days. Then and only when your basal is correct look at your carb ratio.

Why is what you eat ever discussed at a clinic? Your choice of food is your choice and not theirs. I saw a consultant a few years back and this young dietician sat in on the apt! no idea why but she was wanting to know what I ate what my basals were etc. So I told her I ate food what did she eat. End of discussion :angry:  

SueM

As an added thought, you are in danger of having your pump withdrawn with an A1c like that, so you really need to help yourself and sort your own diabetes out.

Tried to add this to previous post but forum wont allow it.

Moonpie

I really would want proof of her assertion. Maybe once you get pregnant, you can add back carbs, but in the meantime, I don't feel that they are mandated. Get you carbs from vegs etc, not the processed garbage.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.