Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Java

Diverticulitus?

Java

have you had this?   if so, what symptoms did/do you experience and what have you found helps deal with it?

i'm not saying this is what i have as i have no idea, but given the problems my colon has been giving me the past couple of weeks and then all the swelling and pain in my stomach/abdomen/colon i had yesterday, i started googling to see if i could find something that might explain it

i am still hurting today but don't have the awful bloating like yesterday but i am very tender and any pressure on my stomach hurts and certain movements will hurt and coughing hurts it, etc.....

weird

thought i'd ask here about it and i may end up talking to my dr about it if it continues

*just noticed i spelled it wrong ~ oopsy

Java

i did and it pulled up one thread about surgery to have gallbladder removed ~ i didn't read it when i saw gallbladder

maybe something is in that thread

*off to read it*

well goodness, i must be sittin in the dunce corner this afternoon!!!   i guess it'd help if i spelled it right in the SEARCH

*headdesk*

ok, three threads came up i'm gonna look through

so sorry to bother y'all

:vroam:

comedy

I have diverticulosis and had a series of diverticulitis episodes in 2002. My doctor diagnosed it by pressing my abdomen and releasing it as they do for appendicitis. She diagnosed the diverticulitis because the pain increased when she released the pressure. My episodes used to come on fairly slowly. I'd realise while working that I had a constant, low-level abdominal pain and it would slowly increase over a couple of days.

Treatment is with strong antibiotics that target anaerobic bacteria, and you can't drink alcohol while you're taking them (they come with a huge warning about this on the packet).

I suggest you see your doctor asap.

Java

oh my

:(

mine hurts when i press on it ~ but not upon release

i swear if it's not one thing it's another

when it is hurting do you just do a liquid diet? 

comedy

It doesn't sound like diverticulitis then, maybe some gastric problem?

I just ate normally, although I had some foods that I'd been eating when an episode started that I found I no longer felt like eating. :)

I still suggest you see your doctor.

adiantum

java stop calling in the bad spirits & be positive.

sounds like gastric issues  as you cant tolerate almond meal etc

sending a happy cloud across the ocean to you & told it to travel fast.

Halves&pieces

i shouldn't be reading online cause now i'm nervous it could be ovarian cancer

*worries*

Dr. Google is guaranteed to make one worry....every time.

Good luck.

Java

java stop calling in the bad spirits & be positive.

sounds like gastric issues  as you cant tolerate almond meal etc

sending a happy cloud across the ocean to you & told it to travel fast.

yeah i think it is something gastric and guess what?  the last few times i've eaten the muffins made with almond flour i haven't had any heartburn

the only thing different?  the ones that caused awful heartburn had grapeseed oil in them ~ the ones i recently made had either sunflower oil or coconut oil

no more googling for me

:)

adiantum

I used to get heartburn after eating the most delicious high carb carrot cake ... it was the oil that caused that

Java

i never ever would have guessed that oil would do that ~ the only reason i figured it out was cause last week i ate some of the almond flour banana bread i made and didn't have any issues

then i did it again with the banana zucchini muffins and same thing ~ then i realised that the only thing different was the oil used

sooooo happy that it wasn't the almond flour  :)

jwags

I would go to the doctor just to be safe. A good friend of mine had to have emergency surgery last month because she had a blockage in her intestines which ruptured. She now has a temporary Ostomy bag and will need another surgery to reattach everything.

CandaceV

I've had diverticulitis 4 times, in the past 4 years, all during the winter months.  Can't figure out why just in the winter.

My symptoms - a mild cramp in the lower left belly.  The first time, I had bloody stool with an odd, tell-tale odor.  But the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time, no blood.

I was put on a liquid diet, not because you can't digest your food, but in the event your colon bursts, they can operate right away and not wait until there's no food in your stomach or colon.

My diet never changes, so I don't know what causes it.  I have to take 500mg. of Metronidazole 3 x day for a month for the cramp to go away.  Some people have severe pain and require hospitalization.

I had a CT scan that found a bit of fluid around the lower left colon, but it didn't show the pockets that they call diverticuli.  I was supposed to go to a gastro for a scope, but never did, and don't plan to - I'm terrified of a tube up my behind that's been up the behind of 1,000's of others.

The standard treatment for recurrent diverticulosis is removal of that part of the colon, with an ostomy bag until (or if) it heals.  Scary stuff.

I take magnesium citrate every night to avoid my chronic, life-long constipation.  Stool tends to get caught in the pockets and get infected.  Some people have fevers.  On my 2nd bout, the bacteria migrated to my bladder and gave me a terrible bladder infection requiring a month of Cipro.

If I were you, get a doc appointment and be sure he sends you for a CT.  In my unprofessional opinion, it isn't diverticulitis unless it's in the lower left quadrant of your belly.

mzteacher

HI Java I have had it. I too suggest you make a visit to the Dr. There are many things that can cause pain including a blockage. Seems things have been bothering you for a while so it might be wise to call in an expert and not to self diagnose. Self diagnosis can be really scary and not accurate. In my quest for a self diagnosis I saw pictures of things women and children should never see!!! And it turned out to be nothing!!! So see your DR. you deserve to feel better!!!

janice21475

Diverticulitus, or diverticulosus? 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. Normally tiny seeds are what brings on the bouts. Sesame, Poppy and such. This is why bread/flour is normally suspected since the seeds are on rolls. Unless you had seeds prior to each attack, I believe you can rule that out.

Gall stones, or gall balder trouble usually follows rich food, especially high fat.

Get checked ASAP so we can all take a breath, Please. I could be something simple.

Sending a big hug, Janice

comedy

Diverticulosis is a pouch in the wall of the intestine. Diverticulitis is an infection or inflammation in the pouch. :)

My doctor says the pouch is often the result of straining to pass faeces.

Java

well my normal dr isn't in this week but i have an appt with the dr who i've been seeing when i've had the bouts of dizziness that turned out to be my ears/allergies

he is very nice, but is a 'close talker' which cracks me up

i'll report back what he tells me after he presses & probes ~ maybe he'll just say i'm full of crap ~ ahahahahaha!  der!  but srsly, hope it's nothing serious

i do plan to pick up some of that magnesium citrate ~ i've had lifelong issues too and have been relying on colace/peri-colace for a long time ~ prior to those i took some herbal stuff but it got to be too strong for me

anywho.........another day in the life

CandaceV

Good luck. 

I too must take magnesium citrate on a nightly basis or I just can't go and that results in another bout of diverticulitis.  Fiber makes it worse, much worse, and since nearly all of us are deficient in magnesium due to farmed-out soils, we don't get enough from our food.  I was also having severe leg cramps which went away after 3 doses of the magnesium.  It helped with my panic attacks while driving too.

I buy it from Amazon, Now Foods brand.  I buy as many bottles as it takes, usually 3, to get free shipping with Prime.  Disclaimer:  I'm in no way associated with Amazon or Now Foods :)

I'm not sure why, but I can't paste the link.  Search for Now Foods Magnesium Citrate Powder 8 oz.

I buy the powder vs. tablets because I can't swallow them, they're too big.  I mix 1 teaspoon with 4 oz. of diet gingerale and it doesn't taste bad at all.  I would suggest you start small, like 1/4 teaspoon and see how you do.  You'll know the next morning if you took too much, but you won't have cramping like you would with a laxative.  Take it before bed and it helps your muscles relax and sleep like a baby.  Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Seagal

I've had diverticulitis 4 times, in the past 4 years, all during the winter months.  Can't figure out why just in the winter.

My symptoms - a mild cramp in the lower left belly.  The first time, I had bloody stool with an odd, tell-tale odor.  But the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time, no blood.

I was put on a liquid diet, not because you can't digest your food, but in the event your colon bursts, they can operate right away and not wait until there's no food in your stomach or colon.

My diet never changes, so I don't know what causes it.  I have to take 500mg. of Metronidazole 3 x day for a month for the cramp to go away.  Some people have severe pain and require hospitalization.

I had a CT scan that found a bit of fluid around the lower left colon, but it didn't show the pockets that they call diverticuli.  I was supposed to go to a gastro for a scope, but never did, and don't plan to - I'm terrified of a tube up my behind that's been up the behind of 1,000's of others.

The standard treatment for recurrent diverticulosis is removal of that part of the colon, with an ostomy bag until (or if) it heals.  Scary stuff.

I take magnesium citrate every night to avoid my chronic, life-long constipation.  Stool tends to get caught in the pockets and get infected.  Some people have fevers.  On my 2nd bout, the bacteria migrated to my bladder and gave me a terrible bladder infection requiring a month of Cipro.

If I were you, get a doc appointment and be sure he sends you for a CT.  In my unprofessional opinion, it isn't diverticulitis unless it's in the lower left quadrant of your belly.

What a visual!  I will be preparing for my colonoscopy next week and had never considered that particular issue.  One will have to depend on the sterilization procedures of the hospital in this case.

When I had diverticulosis, I was told to avoid nuts, seeds, corn.  Was not given any meds.  This was probably 20 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed.

Java, hope you feel better soon and you see the dr.

Java

seagal ~ i hope your scope goes well!

ok, so the dr says i def have an inflamed colon (think he used the word 'colitis') ~ he prescribed gas-x & omeprazole ~ he had labs drawn to check on the following:

cmp

lipids

tsh

cbc

h-pylori

they also took a urine sample

if i test posititve for the h-pylori bacteria then i will take antibiotics for a week ~ if after that i am not better, they will start testing for other issues

my pain is lessened but still there and i have a full/achy feeling in my abdomen ~ really not been interested in food and thus far today have just had liquids

the only magnesium citrate i could find in the drug store was in softgels so i bought those for the time being, however i won't take any tonight because a side effect of the omeprazole is severe diarrhea, possibly caused by an infection in the intestines

so................we'll see

Seagal

Jeanne posted a link to The Heathy Home Economist where there was an article about wheat farmers using Round-Up prior to harvesting the wheat.  I won't go into it here, but I'm sure it can be googled.  It isn't just wheat that is the culprit, it is the herbicide used before harvesting and the damage being done to our gut flora.

Yikes!

Here is the link, I don't think Jeanne will mind.  

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.c...ts-not-gluten/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.