Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rikki007s

Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) with Type 2 Diabetes

Rikki007s

I recently read a wonderful book, "Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-existing Diabetes" by Cheryl Alkon and noticed throughout the book that continuous glucose monitors (CGM) were mentioned. The technology seems like a really good way to monitor what your bs is doing throughout the day, but I can't tell if this is a medical device exclusively used byType I diabetics. My question is, has anyone who has been pregnant as a Type 2 diabetic ever had a doctor recommend using a CGM? Does anyone have an experience with a CGM? I can't tell if I'll be overdoing by trying to get one or if this seems like a good idea. 

Thanks for your help!

aggie168

Hello, the use of CGM to get good reading is not tie to a T1 or T2 or any type for that matter. It is not a cheap proposition and therefore it is as much a function of how good your insurance company is. That is unless you self fund the CGM. Hope the above comment helps.... :)

OldTech

I do find the concept of a CGM attractive, but from what I understand CGMs are quite inaccurate compared with meters. They can be useful for diabetics using an insulin pump but even then you will likely get better control (with effort) with a meter. Dr. Bernstein does not generally recommend either CGMs or pumps. He does say that CGM's can be useful to deal with nighttime lows.

jwags

In the US, even Type 1's have difficulty getting insurance to cover CGMS because of the expense. You have to prove you are hypo unaware. CMGS's'so don't replace finger bg sticks, though.

Rikki007s

Thanks so much for the replies! I didn't realize a CGM would be such a big expense. As a type 2 diabetic is insulin control paired with finger sticks what is normally recommended? How often do doctors recommend you test when you're pregnant? I was originally interested in the CGM because I worry that when I becomre pregnant I'll want to test 6-8 times (or more) a day. Is that crazy?

Bar&In

I have them sitting in the corner and have been for about a month now. My trainer wanted me to hook it up and pump at same time but I wanted to wait and learn the pump prior to attaching another piece to my body. And as previously stated, not cheap even if insurance covers a portion you're probably still paying a nice chunk.

Here is why I have been having second thoughts about starting it up:

1. From the reviews I've read it is well behind blood and numbers usually 20+ point difference.

2. If you do have to make a correction you must always make the decision off of blood not sensor.

3. You still have to test same amount via blood as you would without a sensor.

4. The cost, I don't have exact number but believe its an extra $400 or so quarterly out of pocket expense for me.

5. I'm not wild about one thing attached to my body let a lone a second.

I've never used it so my opinions don't mean much but just stating why I'm having second thoughts about starting it up.

I will add if you don't have awareness and they do actually fix the bugs in it that this would be an excellent piece of equipment IMO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.