Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stl-T2

rootbeer and cream! Worked better than I expected

Stl-T2

I used to get root beer floats regularly.  I like diet root beer well well enough, but was missing the floats.  Finally dawned on me that it wasn't the ice cream per se that I was missing so much as that creamy froth that forms.  Figured I might be able to get most of that flavor/experience by just adding straight whipping cream to diet root beer. Tried it tonight (with lukewarm diet root beer that had gone a bit flat, no less) and I'm happy to report that does do the trick for me!  I'm guessing it will be even better with a fresh and properly chilled (maybe even partially frozen?) root beer. Zero carbs and decadent taste!  Yay!

Stl-T2

I wonder if I can find diet orange soda and get a dreamsicle (sp?) effect by adding cream.  Think that would need vanilla added, too?

dowling gram

Makes sense. Ice cream is after all frozen cream where ice crystals have formed in the liquid part of the cream. I think freezing the soda would put the ice crystals in whipped cream too and make it more like ice cream

I just think I may try this sometime

Stl-T2

Oh my!  Got my hands on some diet orange soda and tried the dreamsicle version tonight.  So good!!  It did need some vanilla extract to get the flavor right, btw.  Now I'm torn as to which I prefer, rootbeer or orange.  So happy to have such a delicious zero carb treat!  I won't claim it's entirely healthy, just very very tasty.

BTW, I've also decided I much prefer adding the cream to the soda than adding the soda to the cream.  With the latter, you get large, greasy-looking, and persisting bubbles on top.  If you pour the cream into the soda in a thin stream, it's more foamy and less bubbly.  When it bubbles up to the top, you've got about the right amount of cream.  

mzteacher

Congratulations on your creativity and finding and sharing what is working for you!! Nice to have some go to lc treats!

mbc1963

Mmmm... I love diet A&W, and this is fabulous option for when I have a craving for something sweet!

princesslinda

Frozen Cool-Whip is very good in floats, you don't miss the ice cream, and the carbs are negligible. Would work in orange soda, root beer or Diet Dr. Pepper (my personal favorite).

mbc1963

I bought some diet A & W and added HWC and it is DELICIOUS!! It only takes a very little cream to make a really delicious treat. I will also be trying it with orange soda for the creamsicle effect.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THIS IDEA! it's fabulous! :D

Stl-T2

I'm going through a rather frightening amount of HWC since I started drinking these.  Maybe it wouldn't seem like much to a coffee drinker, though.  ~ a pint/week.  

CandaceV

I tried A&W diet root beer and cream - YUM !

So then I tried cream with A&W diet cream soda - WOW !

I don't drink much diet pop, but once in a while, it's wonderful.  Thanks for the inspiration, Stl-T2 !

Stl-T2

Yay!!  Glad you tried it.  I am still in love with these drinks. I have half a case of diet cream soda (Fitz's), but haven't tried adding cream to it. I guess I just assumed cream wouldn't add much to a cream soda.

Ceres

I just bought some diet root beer and last night had to talk myself out of adding ice cream to it. Now I know what I'm having tonight!

Stl-T2

Tried another: diet cranberry gingerale with cream. That was a wash. I put plenty of cream in it, but it hardly seemed to change the taste. Odd. Oh well, I do like the soda on its own, at least.

It seems like this cream trick works best with the sweetest/least bittered sodas

Stl-T2

Tried another: diet cranberry gingerale with cream. That was a wash. I put plenty of cream in it, but it hardly seemed to change the taste. Odd. Oh well, I do like the soda on its own, at least.

It seems like this cream trickworks best with the sweetest/least bittered sodas.

Sorry about the duplicate post. Trying to edit from my phone and goofed up something. Hopefully, this isn't going to make it a triplicate post.

CandaceV

I put cream in A&W diet gingerale and it's good too, but not nearly as good as the A&W cream soda.  I have to limit myself to 1 serving a day or I'd live on it and put on weight.  It sure cuts my appetite for quite a while.

CandaceV

Exactly!  I will eat (and drink) until I'm miserable if I'm not careful.  The cream and soda pop drink enables me to be a reasonable eater.  I think of you and thank you daily :)

Hard to beat something that satisfies your sweet tooth AND kills your appetite, isn't it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.