Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NESSA117

help please gestational. dont take insulin low blood sugar?

NESSA117

so im going on forums because its impossible to get an appointment with my dietician havent seen her in 3 weeks since my first visit every meeting her ...does anyone know what i should do. i do not take medications or insulin for gestational diabetes. I first took a glucose test around 12 weeks? it was fine then i took another at 30 weeks i believe and it ended up being very high failing the test i think it was 160? but 30 minutes later i met with a lady she showed me how to take my blood with a meter and it was normal....under 130 i dont remember the exact number think it was like 110...so that was odd to me that i failed but 30 minutes later it dropped a lot...i have been checking my sugars for a little over a month now an they have been normal the only problem ive been having in the past few weeks is my blood sugar in the morning is low....does anyone know why its low and i dont take insulin? a midwife said i may not be eating protein but when i know i ate a lot of protien the night before the next morning its low now low is in the 50mg range has been in 40s and then 60s...not sure what to do ?? anyone have ideas i try searching online but it has people who take meds or insulin get low blood sugar but i dont take anything?.help?

miketurco

Number one is carry glucose pills. Take one or two when you go low. It will bring your blood sugar back up. You'll find glucose pills on just about every diabetes shelf in every drugstore. Á to everything else, I'll leave the giving of advice to the mom experts.

dowling gram

Depending on when you ate all those numbers could be normal. The 160 is a bit high but if it was a finger prick test it could be skewed. Did you wash your hands before that test? Anything on your hands like miniscule food residue or even bacteria can skew a finger prick test. You didn't say what you consider low.

Like blood pressure your blood glucose does not remain the same all the time. In the morning your fasting BG can be anywhere from 70 to 100. Under 70 is considered a low and you would have symptoms like the inabliity to concentrate or confusion and shakiness. 1 hour after eating it will be at it's highest. I like mine under 140. 2 hours after eating it should be back in the 100 to 120 range. If you ever do have a low you need something to bring it back up like orange juice or soda or glucose tabs or something with a lot of carbohydrates.

If in any case you do have gestational diabetes cutting down on the carbohydrates you eat should keep your blood glucose in line. Things like sugar of course but also bread or anything made with flour, rice, pasta, and potatoes. You may not need to cut them out completely. Testing with a glucometer will tell you how much they effect your blood glucose.

Ask your doctor to send you to the lab for an A1C test. That would tell you more abot what you are dealing with because it give an average of your blood sugar for 3 months

Good luck and have a beautiful baby

dowling gram

I reread what you said and you did mention the low number and it is low. Do you have the symptoms of a low like I mentioned above? Have some orange juice on hand and have a glass first thing in the morning. You can get glucose tabs or drink a regular soda but somehow I think OJ goes better in the morning. That will put your numbers back to normal. Then carry on with breakfast as normal.

jwags

Many times early inndiabetes and pre diabetes there is a Phenomenom called Reactive Hypoglycemia. When you are diabetic your pancreas doesn't always work consistently. So sometimes it works very well with lots of insulin sometimes not so good. Can you tell us what you are eating. Usually the more carbs you eat the more volatility in bgs there are. So if you are eating a lot of carbs try to cut it down a bit.

NESSA117

my blood sugar at night is in the lower end of the 100s and low is in late 40s,50s, and i have a lot of lates 60s as well cutting it close to being low  my dietician at first appointment said if its like 65 or under itd be low .......i use alch. swab wipes every time i prick it comes with everything i get from the clinic so my fingers always clean.....when i had the glucose test done when i failed it and pricked my finger that same day 30 min later it was normal the lady said theyd probabably take me off in a week because i guess that was weird to her? but the clinic likes to monitor so ive been on it still......ive never had a problem with high blood sugar just low...i also dont eat much only 2 times a day .....i thought eating less made blood sugar spike? could it cause low blood sugar?....also i notice a lot of people cant have a ton of carbs or their sugar spikes ive tested my limits and i actually can eat a lot of carbs....(i never liked sugary drinks or ate snacks or sweets) i drink water and milk a lottt of milk and i know milk can make it go up but it doesnt for me not too much anyways.    i saw some say if i eat a ton of carbs i should lower it isnt that only if my blood sugar is high? if i cut down on my carbs my blood would probably be a whole lot lower?....i cant tell if low blood sugar bothers with me symptoms  since i wake up and its low but i make breakfast anyways so it eventually goes up because i ate .....breakfast i eat 1-2 slices whole grain toast,2 eggs big glass of milk and a water bottle, and 2 turkey sausage links........i do have the same thing for diner a lot of the times  i dont eat a lot of foods...sometimes i have tacos that i make...sometimes i dont eat carbs at all at night but i try to because my dietician told me to make sure i eat carbs in morning and at night.            i am also overweight but have only gained the babys weight ive gained 4 lbs in last 2 months since my first appointment at 8 weeks and thats it!!!! i am now 37weeks!! ultrasounds are off but at 36 weeks my baby only weighed 5.3 right above underweight line......i also have major anxiety/and depression due to being bipolar would that effect anything??.....

NESSA117

im not type 1 by the way i didnt know what to pick when i signed up i only have gestational diabetes never had anything before

miketurco

If you could put together a daily log that would be really helpful. Basically all the food you eat and all your BG readings with the time. If you do that, people here will have a really good picture of where you're at and will be able to give you the best advice. Start tomorrow maybe and keep the log for the days. Then post it here. Doesn't have to be fancy and this is just a suggestion

If I may say, it's really important that you start carrying glucose tablets with you at all times. My opinion is that you should stop doing whatever you are doping right now and go get them. It's that important.

Regarding the affect of emotional states and so forth, yah, that's a big factor across the board. Most people have to deal with one thing or another. Personally I am plain old nuts and there's no pill for that. It's kind of fun sometimes, though. And it is what it is.

NESSA117

ok thankyou ill get some glucose tablets tomorrow its dark now and i hav trouble driving when its dark ill try to log stuff im so bad with things like that lol

fjordscape

Pregnancy can change the metabolism so much that maybe the official clinical numbers don't apply. 

You can't get an appointment with a dietician, but how about an obstetrician or pregnancy nurse? I mean, can the fetus get appointments, and what have the practitioners been reporting? 

Only 3 more weeks to go, huh?

In measurements at ages 35 and 45, my fasting level was 60. I never swooned or trembled. At the time, I didn't know that 60 is supposed to make you dizzy and trembly.

I don't understand your posts 100%, but your metabolism certainly seems unusual. When you say you failed the "glucose test", that should mean that you took the OGTT and at 2 hours the level was 160. Then 30 minutes later a finger prick test yielded 110? Yeah, those results are incongruous, unexplainable. 

Another thing I don't follow is that you report you have experienced 40s, but you don't report that you have any symptoms at these shockingly low values. I guess that means you don't have symptoms, which would be the most important thing. Whether it's OK for the baby, I have no idea. 

NESSA117

i see a midwife every week. i hand in my glucose meter every appontment they always say my numbers are very good except recently ive had some low blood sugar. she said i might not eat enough protein at night but i do. she didnt seem worried about it. the only reason i havent seen my dietician is because shes been on vacation i guess and shes booked on the days i ask for. The clinic i go to is an hour away from my home so i try to match appointments up on the same day. I go a hour away because my boyfriend has some native american in him so everythings free that deals with pregnancy. id rather pay and go to the hospital 5 minutes away from me but everyone says theyre bad. i moved to the smallest town ever so theres not many options. i dont seem to experience symptoms because its just right when i wake up and then i just eat. One morning when i woke up i went straight to take a shower i was starting to faint i made it to my bed thankfully and checked my blood sugar as soon as i got better, but it was normal for the morning  so that wasnt from low blood sugar.... i just have a confusing life i guess :). i want to say i dont have gestational diabetes but i dont know how you would explain why ive been having low blood sugar latley. i do not have low blood sugar every morning but i do basically eat the same thing every day and night.  

yes i thought it was strange when they said i failed and then they had to show me how to use the meter and i got a normal reading. according to the clinic numbers are supposed to be 95 and under before i eat and then 135 and under an hour after i eat im supposed to take it 4 times a day but i only eat like 2 times a day. (just realizing this) But now that i remember that day i remember i didnt go to sleep at all. i remember i fasted like i was supposed to but i couldnt sleep that night i went to my appointment with 0 sleep and drank the sugar drink....would me being dead tired and not sleeping at all be the reason why i failed? also recently ive gotten back into the habit of staying up late. yesterday i didnt go to bed till 7AM the next day.

every appointment i check out fine and so does my baby so thats what matters :)     

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.