Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bar&In

Sustaining from certain foods for long duration

Bar&In

Had a DQ Blizzard yesterday, Heath Bar Cheesecake. First time had ice cream in probably about a year and was very good but in all honesty not worth it IMO. A mini size, which I got, has roughly 53g of carbs but worse 46g of sugars; sometimes takes me a week to ingest that many sugars. I say this because I was never really a big ice cream guy but I did love a Blizzard about once per month and was one of my favorite treats. I only hope that if I can sustain from pizza for longer than a month (haven't to this point) that maybe it will hold the some fate; won't miss it at all. Its worked for women and Blizzards, sustained from both for long duration and don't miss either. Yeah they both still bring enjoyment but its not worth all that comes with it. For the Blizzard the thoughts in my head of eating that many sugars in one setting far outweigh the satisfaction I got from the taste of the it and with women the company may be great but then comes the constant complaining that comes with it so as I said hopefully pizza will be next on the list.  

NoraWI

The word is ABstaining not SUStaining! You mean *staying away from* NOT *keeping up.* As to having a Blizzard, why bother? It's a HUGE carb whammy and, I agree, not worth it. Nor is pizza IMO. I guess each one of us is different and has different levels of ability to abstain from certain foods and sustain a diet. ;)

dowling gram

You can have pizza but you have to make it yourself with a low carb crust or no crust at all

coob

Thank goodness there are countless delicious, healthy, wholesome foods  . . and women . . . to choose from.      Take heart.   :-)

crabby-appleton

breyers has a ice cream with  sorbitol. 90 cals 14 carbs 4 sugar

So many of these artificial sweetners play havoc with my intestines.  I have to stay with either Sweet & Low (Saccharin) or Aspartame.

crabby-appleton

Had a DQ Blizzard yesterday, Heath Bar Cheesecake.

I've had a wicked craving for some blueberry ice cream this past month.

samuraiguy

Funny you should mention a Blizzard as a friend of mine is a Manager at DQ and basically it's 2-1/2 cup ice cream, 1/4 cup milk, a candy bar of your choice (chopped) and a teaspoon hot fudge sauce all blended smooth leaving the candy bar a little chunky.

For me it's no sugar added ice cream, HWC, SF candy bars (I love the Turtle ones) and SF hot fudge sauce (I make my own, but Waldens Farms makes one too). I knock the recipe size down or just refreeze the extra portions from a full batch.

Seagal

one of the problems with sorbitol, mannitol, or any of the "ols" is the laxative effect or gastric distress.  Some are worse than others and was most noticeable when I chewed more gum than I should have one day.

The key with the "ols" is to stick with a little less than the recommended serving....for most, problem solved.

Phil

You can have pizza but you have to make it yourself with a low carb crust or no crust at all

I just eat one slice with the crust then eat nothing but the ingredients there after.

TX_Clint

I just don't understand the torture. In my mind if it ain't really low carb then it ain't food. As for sugar alcohols, one doesn't make that mistake often. :)

GretchO

Why? I eat 2 slices of pizza no problem...regular ol' pizza from a pizza place. Not every night but every couple of weeks. If you can manage it why do you have to avoid it?

Seagal

So many of these artificial sweetners play havoc with my intestines.  I have to stay with either Sweet & Low (Saccharin) or Aspartame.

They sure can play havoc, but keeping just under the recommended portion, is the answer.  I believe the serving size is 1/2 cup, using a bit less should be ok.  At least for me, the Breyers sugar free is acceptable on occasion.

hmmmm....looks like I have addressed this already in post #9.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.