Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sobriquet

Weird feeling in toe(s)

Sobriquet

For a while now i have had a weird feeling in the middle and second toe (next to the little toe) on my left foot.

It is not pain, movement is fine, when i touch those toes, i feel it - but it feels like each toe has tape or a band-aid/ plaster wrapped around it. I have the feeling pretty much all the time, regardless of wearing shoes or not. In tight shoes the feeling is more noticeable, but still no discomfort - just weird.

I am getting physio for back and neck pain and she massaged my feet quite hard on Friday, and the feeling went away for a little while, but it's back now.

Is this something diabetes related? I'm 40, but was only diagnosed type one last year. I'm not sure if it is the tightness in my foot muscles restricting blood flow or something else completely. (I also smoked moderately before - between 5 and 10 a day - stupid but that is what it was. I don't know if that is related).

Does anyone else have this? I have an endo appointment at the end of the month, and i want to make sure i ask the right questions/ give any relevant information, if it is a D issue.

samuraiguy

Have you upped your exercise, walking or running? I've notice since walking 10k steps a day my toes are not painful but are toughened up and less sensitive making them not numb, but feel like you said, as if there is a sock on them even if there isn't one. If I step on a pebble (I definitely feel hitchhikers in my shoes) or sharp object they have pain so it isn't like neuropathy where they are numb in general, just less sensitive to touch.

dowling gram

I have that mostly at night and my feet are cold. I have found using a magic type bag that you heat in the microwave warms my feet and takes away that feeling. I think it is poor circulation because once my feet are warm the feeling goes away. I don't think it is diabetes related unless diabetes causes poor circulation. I wear socks during the day and I think that helps too.

TX_Clint

I have had this for over ten years. Less now than about 10 years ago but still there. (very good description btw). I used to have more cold feet issues when first going to bed but that seems to have faded with time. I think it is a circulation issue due to diabetes because good control and exercise over the last several years seems to have made an improvement.

Oriana

I have a weird feeling on the sides of my foot like its being pressed. it comes and goes over the weeks but my blood sugar is ok.

valuelife77

I have a similar sensation on my feet.  I have been T2 for maybe 8 years.   I am 64.   My feet are very sensitive, I cannot where many types of shoes because the do not fit properly.  I cannot where many type of socks, and the small seams in them feel like rocks in my shoes.   I do not have any pain in my feet, just these odd sensations.   At night the bottoms of my feet get hot, almost to a point of being very uncomfortable.  I put a medicated lotion on them and that stops the hot feelings.   When I cut my toenails I have to be very careful as I can cut my skin and not feel it until after I make the cut.   If I get a small piece of anything in my shoes, it feels like a big sharp rock.  Many of my white socks I have to where inside out, and the outsides of socks are very smooth.  Ect. ect.    This is all related to my diabeties   My Ac1 has usually been under 6.7 but for the last two times it has been a bit over 7...so I need to do better on what I eat, that is what is necessary for me.

Good Luck

Stl-T2

I get this, but only on the fourth toe of my left foot.  It feels like there's a string wrapped around the base.  No pain, no numbness.  It's been going on since before I was diagnosed.  It does come and go a bit, but when it happens it's pretty constant for at least weeks and maybe months.  I'd love to know what the heck it is.

janice21475

I have found using a magic type bag that you heat in the microwave warms my feet and takes away that feeling

That is the only reason I have a microwave! Love that thing. Mine is a cloth bag filled with (I don't know what)  it used to have a strong scent (on purpose) my husband hated the smell of it. Now it is several years old and mellowed and he enjoys it's comforts as needed.

That weird feeling may be due to tendons and ligaments needing stretching. I have a condition that causes painful bumps to form on tendons in my foot and cause much, much pain. If I keep them stretched out good the pain stays away. One of the exercises I do brings on the feeling of wearing a boot tightly around the ankle and calf.

You could pick up marbles with your toes for a few minutes a day and see if that helps.

coob

I've had similar feelings in the same toes.  I walk a lot every day - plus I've broken toes over the years (by being klutzy - haha) and I attribute it to those things.  It does not seem to be related to blood sugar.

Sobriquet

Thanks for the feedback - i will try picking up marbles... but it's still a bit chilly around here, and i am loathe to take off my lovely socks! :)

I'll let you all know if the endo says anything.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.