Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

$500 metformin

miketurco

Went to see my old Dr last Friday re. my high BG. One thing I wanted to do was get on er meet. I wanted 2000mg/day.

Anyway, the whole thing has been a mess. He prescribed the regular instead of the er. Got that squared away today. Almost.

He prescribed 1000mg pills.

500mg pills in q of 60, cost $5 at Walmart.

30 of the 1000mg pills, cost $180.

Not kidding. Look it up yourself. I use goodrx.com to find the best prices.

Anyhow, I hope to get this squared away tomorrow.

dowling gram

Isn't that just stupid!! The solution is simple get a prescription for the 500mg pills and take 2. Given the cost surely your doctor would comply with this request

miketurco

Oh, I'm sure that will happen. The thing is I've been trying to get on this med for three weeks now. The whole thing is a pain in the neck.

When I don't work, I don't get paid. Looks like I'll have to waste more time dealing with doctors and pharmacies to get this handled. Yet another day of work. I can't believe it!

NoraWI

With all the stuff you have been on, Mike, I can't believe that you had not been taking metformin (in any form)! That's the first med usually prescribed for T2s. I wish you luck with getting metformin at its lowest price available.

moneymeister

Yeah, My Dr perscribed 1000 x 2...but a better pharmacy (Costco) filled as 4 x 500...costs 16.00 at Costco out of pocket for ER. Go see Costco.

That high dosage pill thing is an insurance game. CVS had been filling it, they had been billing my insurance hundreds of bucks a month (350ish?) for something that was cheap...just more pills to take each night.

macksvicky

The ER version is more expensive than the regular, found out the hard way. But finally found a new pharmacy and now I pay $5.00 for 60 750mg met ER each month. Walmart neglects to mention that their $4.00 rx's are only for certain strengths. Hubby and I were taking the same BP meds, his 10mg, mine 20mg Walmart price $4.00 his, $40.00 mine. 

miketurco

With all the stuff you have been on, Mike, I can't believe that you had not been taking metformin (in any form)! That's the first med usually prescribed for T2s. I wish you luck with getting metformin at its lowest price available.

I've been on it all along :) Am just switching from regular to extended release.

miketurco

Yeah, My Dr perscribed 1000 x 2...but a better pharmacy (Costco) filled as 4 x 500...costs 16.00 at Costco out of pocket for ER. Go see Costco.

That high dosage pill thing is an insurance game. CVS had been filling it, they had been billing my insurance hundreds of bucks a month (350ish?) for something that was cheap...just more pills to take each night.

It may be in the Obamacare regulations. Lobbyists wrote that thing, not legislators. 

moneymeister

Nah, before Obamacare...just costing big $$ for 1,000 mg tabs and cheap for 500mg....shell game. This was a over a year ago. The high cost had been invisible to me because of CVS billing insurance and me just paying the 10 bucks. 

miketurco

Just got off the phone with walmart. The clerk told me I'd have to have the dr. call in the change in the prescription. I asked to be put through to the pharmacist. Took me quite a while to explain that the reason for the switch-up is that I'd save hundreds of dollars. So instead of paying 500-something for the pills, I'll be paying $18. Woot!

Kit

That price difference is ridiculous (and yes, stuff like this has been going on for a long time).

I could see doubling the price between 500mg and 1000mg, but 27 times more expensive is just insane.

moneymeister

And all the pharmacies are "innocently" filling the scripts....oops, our bad, did we overcharge you 500? We had NO IDEA! 

miketurco

This whole thing was an uphill battle. 

I've been wanting this prescription change for a long time.

- My doctor was on vaca, so I waited a week for him to come back.

- After that, messed with the doctor's office for more than a week to get the change made, once the doctor was back. Never happened.

- While traveling for work, happened to be close to an old doctor of mine and was able to get a walk-in. He didn't believe me when I told him there was a slow release form of metformin. He wrote the wrong prescription. This was on a Friday.

- Worked with the doctor's office to get the prescription changed. They prescribed the 1000mg pills, which are the expensive ones.

- Once I figured out why they cost so much, I had to get the pharmacy to give me the 500's instead. That was -not- easy.</rant>

Anyway, and maybe this is lame, but the reason I wanted long acting metformin was so that I wouldn't have to take medication three times a day. I'm now taking pills only once/day instead of three. With my memory, that's a good thing.

genie86333

That's ridiculous. My pharmacy (which is a Walmart) has always given me 500x2 twice a day instead of 1000 twice a day...and I'm pretty sure the Rx just says 1000 (I've never seen the paperwork they fax to the pharmacy, but that's what is written on *my* paperwork.) I thought a price jump of $14 (from $4 to $18) was bad when my doc upped my prescription to that level - it doubled the dose, but more than quadrupled the price.) I would've had a heart attack if they'd tried to charge me $500!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.