Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

katiehlvr2

Netcarbs versus Carbs

katiehlvr2

Hi there, 

I am new to the forum. I am a type 1 diatetic at 36 years old.

I was wondering the following:

Due I base my novalog insulin injection amount of units based on carb count or net carb count?

Can anyone help me?

Cora

This is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) type of thing. I always only used net carbs, some people count 50% of the fiber, and some use the entire carb count. I would start by basing my insulin on the net carbs. Test regularly afterwards, and if you are still  high, then see how it works with the fiber included. My thoughts would be to bolus conservatively and take a bit more insulin later if necessary, rather than taking too much and treating (or maybe over-treating) a low.

jbmacomber

I agree with Cora. Depends on how it affects you. I had to bolus for total cabs when I was on insulin (T2). Now my Dr. says count sugar alcohols and fiber, divide by 2, and sutract that from total carbs. 

NoraWI

As Cora said, it depends upon the individual. I, too, prefer to dose conservatively and then do a correction if necessary. But I prefer to keep my math simple and I am on a pump that does a lot of the calculations.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.