Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharpTail

Prednisone and Blood Sugar Management

SharpTail

I have been prescribed Prednisone along with Methotrexate to try to get an imflammatory arthritis condition in my hand under control.   I was also warned about the Prednisone's effect on blood sugar.   It has been very frustrating to figure out how to manage this.   I am wondering if anyone here has any advice.

I am on a pump and have had to make significant changes in my programming and although that has helped, resulting high blood sugar levels (15+) have been very stubborn.   I also have resorted to injecting a background basal dose of Lantus to establish some consistency.    Overall my total daily dose of insulin has almost doubled, but this still has not been perfect.

Thanks for any help. 

NoraWI

Sorry to hear this. Very difficult situation for you. Since this is a chronic condition, I would change my pump settings until I was satisfied with the result. I would not add Lantus to the mix. Resetting the basal up should do the job. Not a quick fix but should work with persistence. Wish you the best of results soon.

jwags

My dad was on Prednisone for the last 15 years of his life. He got diabetes from the daily Prednosone. He refused to go on insulin so he had great difficulty maintaining good bgs. But he needed the prednisone to prevent swelling in his retinas.

GrammaBear

I have been prescribed Prednisone along with Methotrexate to try to get an imflammatory arthritis condition in my hand under control.   I was also warned about the Prednisone's effect on blood sugar.   It has been very frustrating to figure out how to manage this.   I am wondering if anyone here has any advice.

I am on a pump and have had to make significant changes in my programming and although that has helped, resulting high blood sugar levels (15+) have been very stubborn.   I also have resorted to injecting a background basal dose of Lantus to establish some consistency.    Overall my total daily dose of insulin has almost doubled, but this still has not been perfect.

Thanks for any help. 

Prednisone makes managing your blood sugar really difficult.  I am not a health care professional, and I can only tell you what helped me manage mine while taking prednisone.  Several years ago I had a persistent ear infection and the ENT doctor I went to see advised me to take Prednisone.  After my blood sugar numbers started going really high, I contacted my CDE.  He advised me to set a temp basal, 24x7 for between 150+ to 180+.  Do you have the option of doing a temp basal on your pump?  Or can you contact your diabetes advisor for help?  I had to experiment a lot with pump settings, so I can appreciate your difficulty.  Hope your hand feels better soon.

SharpTail

The good thing now is that my dosage is reduced and will be less yet in about 5 days.    I can see a big difference in the effect of Prednisone on maintaining decent BG levels with the lower dose compared to the last 2 weeks.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.