Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sobriquet

Tapas - what does it for you?

Sobriquet

We're heading to Barcelona for the weekend - Mother In Law duty calls - and it's going to be very stressful, as she and my husband rarely see eye to eye. Now she is also peeved because his sister (who lives there) has a new boyfriend, she does not approve - and she feels that we all did this to her just to ruin her holiday.

So as i have to keep my mouth shut so as not to make things worse - i'm focussing on the food!!!

I'm figuring a lot of the tapas will be perfect for low carb eating - but as the bread with tomato that i used to love is off the table, i should open my tastebuds to new fun things... so... any suggestions?

(I already have a few faves, but i thought i would see what other people like to see if i'm missing something!)

jwags

We were in Spain, 3 years ago to visit my daugher. We stayed there for 3 weeks, so lots of TAPAS. My bgs were about 30-50 points higher for the 3 weeks even though we did tons of walking. But the tapas was so good and I wasn't going to restrict myself. At the time I was still drinking wine, so I always had red wine with my Tapas hoping it would help with the spike. I had a bigger problem with the late Tapas meals. We would go to a restaurant at 8'pm and their kitchens weren't even open yet.

jwags

I like the Padrone Peppers and those potato tortillas. There was a shrimp in gsrlic sauce that was good too. The ham is so good, too. I wasn't crazy about the Spanish cheese.

Sobriquet

Pimientos del Padron - jwags, you are singing my song!!

I also like the fried sardines... i'll keep my eyes peeled for the shrimps.

To be honest, i am just really looking forward to the sun, and warmer weather - we have only just made it above 15°c here... 25° forecast for there - i can't even remember what 25° feels like, i have no idea what to pack!!

jwags

We were up in Northern Spain in Gallicia. We went in June which was supposed to be the warmest time of the year. It was cold and rainy for 10 days. have a great weekend.

Stl-T2

These are my favorites from a local place.  (http://www.modestotapas.com/menu/)

DÁTILES RELLENOS
bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with Valdeón cheese (gf)

ALBÓNDIGAS CASERAS
veal and pork meatballs with sherry sauce (gf)

COLIFLOR REFRITA
fried cauliflower with paprika and truffle oil (gf)

This one also looks good, but I haven't had a chance to try it:

COCHINILLO ASADO*
roast suckling pig with shaved fennel, radish and cilantro (gf)

And I also like this one at a different place (http://www.guidosstl.com/menu.html):
Pimientos Rellenos de Bacalao - imported Piquillo peppers stuffed with bacalao & bechamel in a sweet sauce

I haven't had any of them since before diagnosis, so I can't tell you how BG friendly they are.

Caravaggio

I've been lucky not to have had a bad reading from tapas. Be aware that there are dishes that use bread crumbs or have bread toppings (which may not be obvious if you are not familiar with them). But I've not had a bad BG reading even then because the servings are small and become smaller when shared with others. I think the best way to enjoy tapas requires (a) sharing with other people, (B) ordering at least 6 dishes - 3 cold and 3 hot (you get full you don't even need to order a main course), and © restaurant or bar hopping just for the tapas.

Like jwags, I was more concerned with the late meals. When I visited Spain, I noticed that only tourists (like my husband and me) were at restaurants for dinner at 7 pm.  Patrons came in from around 9 pm.

I hope you have a grand time.

samuraiguy

I like antipasti which is similar so there are a lot of olives, ham, sausages and cheese to be had in Spain--I especially loved the olive varieties with a glass of Sherry.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.