Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MrsFrenchy

Planning first pregnancy

MrsFrenchy

Hi everyone, it's my first time commenting on here but over the last weekish I've been reading heaps of threads and have found them very insightful and helpful. I just want to share my story/plans with you all to see if there are any more suggestions I can add to my list of goals/steps before we start trying for our first baby. So here it is!

I'm 25 and have been type 1 since I was 10, honestly I have poor control, my a1c's have been in the 9's for quite a while and it hasn't been near 7% in many years. I have always struggled with being diabetic because of not getting good control when I was a kid. I always wanted to keep up with my brothers so I'd skip tests and injections. I'm on a pump now as injections are no longer possible for me because they create very bad bruising. I've been on the pump about 12yrs, and I know my a1c should be a lot better by now :( We would like to have our first baby in 2017 so I am starting perpetration now. I have been working really hard in the last few weeks to test more regularly, I was only testing about 4 times a day before. I'm up to 6 definite tests and am increasing this, especially if my sugar is in the teens. I've been using an optimum exceed meter but will be using the mobile meter for work as I find it easier and I'm hoping this will help in checking my sugars more regularly/consistently will I'm working. My aim is to test every 1-2 hours when I'm awake and then whenever I get up at night, which is usually 3am.

According to an online bmi calculator I am slightly overweight (just a few kilos) and am already working on this at the gym. I also have digestive issues for which I take enzymes and am going to start a daily probiotic to replace what my body isn't getting. I've read many of your comments on low carb diets and have started cutting out high carbs and reducing the sugar in my coffee and completely removed sugar from my tea. Overall I am a fairly healthy eater, I just LOVE starchy and wheat based carbs.

Anyway I hope there are some other things people can suggest or even tips on how they managed to improve their control and diet. I've spent a long time convincing myself I wouldn't have kids because of fear of harming them because of the diabetes but I'm determined to get this right and have a family.

adiantum

Hello MrsFrenchy, Welcome to the forum.

How lovely on this "Mothers Day" to read of your dreams of becoming a mother. 

Glad you joined us & that you are going to be diligent in controlling your diabetes...that will save you some heartache for sure.

jwags

I think cutting out carbs is a great idea. When I gave up all grains and cereals I lost 30 pounds fairly quickly. I think more testing is good but make sure you test at specific times like. 1 and 2 hours after eating. Do you count carbs at meals and dose insulin accordingly or do you use a fixed dose of insulin? Have you read Dr Bernstein's, Diabetes Solutions? He was a type 1 from childhood who had very high bgs. He was one of the first to recommend home testing for diabetics. His book shows you how to get normal bgs with a combo of low carb diet,meds and Insulin.

MrsFrenchy

Hi all, thanks for the replies and encouragement.

Jwags, I count carbs and bolus accordingly. I haven't read any books on diabetes but have two that I'm looking at buying. Someone in another of the threads recommended them. Pumping Insulin and Think Like A Pancreas. I'll add your suggestion to my list and see if I can find a copy at my library or online.

I just downloaded some logbook apps as well and am trailing them. I've pretty much eliminated it down to one called Logbook by mySugr. Has anyone used this before? I have the free version at the moment but will get a free Pro trial after using it for a week. It seems really good, I can see my sugar levels, meals and boluses on a graph or a timeline along with notes on what I've been doing (like gym) so I can compare it to next time.

Rdani87

I've been a type 1 since I was 9 and have always struggled with high blood sugars and high A1Cs until this year, when I started following Dr. Bernstein's low carb, high fat approach.  I have never seen my numbers do so well before in my life, and I can't recommend his method enough!  My A1C has dropped from 11.1 to 8.3 and I know in July it will have dropped even more!  I too am prepping for pregnancy and because I am also a Celiac, I have completely cut out all carbs - I can't have wheat, etc, but I also cut out potatoes, rice, corn, and gluten-free cereals.  The high blood sugar spikes and plummeting lows have disappeared!  I keep my numbers between 70 and 120 as much as possible, and correct when they hit 133 (or 50 points over my target of 83).   

The majority of my meals consist of meat, veggies, cheese, nuts, and some fruits, though sparing.  I enjoy low carb Greek yogurt on occasion, but once you get used to the new way of eating, it's not hard.  I wish you the best with your pregnancy planning, and also think a Dexcom G4 Platinum would help you with your blood sugar monitoring.  It has made a WORLD of difference for me!  It helps me see what my blood sugars are doing at every moment of the day! 

k_dub

Hi!  I had my first baby last year.  I ate a mostly low carb Paleo diet while pregnant and I kept my A1c in tight range during my pregnancy.  My delivery was problem free and my son was born with no complications whatsoever.  Let me know if I can help you.  I'm not on the forum as much anymore, but PM me for the quickest response.

Sobriquet

I use the MySugr app - i love it!!

Also, there is a book by Cheryl Alkon called 'Balancing Pregnancy with Pre-existing Diabetes'. She's diabetic herself, and her book is really easy to read and understand (as are the others you mentioned). It starts at the pre-pregnancy stage and works through.

I know it's hard to get rid of the starchy carbs - (and sugar in coffee), but once you kind of get used to it, it is much easier, and then occasional splurge is ok too.

You sound like you're doing all the right things though - testing, exercising - you'll be on top of this before you know it!

MrsFrenchy

Just wanted to put in a quick update. Because of a previous knee injury I had stopped going to the gym and in September I quit my job and we moved back to my home town. After our busy season on the farm I had surgery to fix my knee and its coming along great now. Its been six weeks and I can do light strength training with my legs; I am quite behind in my fitness now but it had to be fixed before becoming pregnant. My last hba1c was in February and I've come down to 7.2% compared to 9.4% the same time last year. My Dr is happy and has green lighted that, he just wants a little more control of my sugars throughout the day and then will be happy for us to start trying! He also wants me to work on loosing a few kilos, so does my go and physiotherapist, which is understandable. But the way things are looking we should get the OK to start trying around June/July which is what we are hoping for.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.