Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shackhelp

Kidney Stones, Anxiety Meds, Metformin . . . oh My!

Shackhelp

First time member, first time poster!! 

Just a heads up, I weigh 297lbs, 5'7", 38 years old. No children.

It's been one heck of a year for me! This is my first year teaching elementary school. At Thanksgiving break I fell ill and discovered I had a 1.5cm stone stuck in my left kidney. After four months of pain meds and two surgeries I finaly got that handled.

Shortly after this, I discovered that my Zoloft wasn't helping me anymore. I started having panic episodes where I'd freeze up, go nuts talking 90mph, then burst into tears. Trip to the doctor and he did blood-work then took me off of my Zoloft. Put me on Brintellix. I took it for a week and the doctor's office asked me to come in for a repeat blood-draw.  Nurse called a few days later to say that I've developed diabetes (I've been pre-diabetic off and on for years) and need to come in.

I've been very tired and lethargic. I do eat poorly, but I eat lots of veggies and stuff and thought I was at least half-assed managing. I didn't anticipate this at all.

Follow up yesterday - Doctor says I have type II diabetes. Says my AC1 was a 6.6 and while that was really low, he had just diagnosed my mother with type II and to be proactive he wanted to put me on Metaformin 500mg 2x a day with food. Said that if I took this seriously I might lose some weight (which I believe with the nausea and diarrhea!)

Has anyone else taken Metformin with such a low AC1? I am sort of worried that he may be using me as a guinea pig LOL. It's a kick in the pants for sure. I mean, I've never had to use a glucose monitor. I checked it this morning and it was 109 fasting. I checked again after lunch and it was 119. Manageable. I decided to splurge this afternoon because I was feeling well and ate some chinese food (just to see how it would affect my sugar.) 2 hours late it was 239 and I had the worst diarrhea in the history of . . . . poop. Lord. That's enough to keep me from "splurging" on chinese. Blegh.

Just looking for some advice/feedback. SO GLAD I found this group!

predb4

i think the metformin is ok, some go on if just over 6.

chinese food is a bomb, the meter told you that.

agressive monitoring with several measurements a day will show you what needs to be done.

i eat low carb high fat, but started at 6.2 A!C, so still prediabetic, but with family history.

adiantum

Hi, I too am glad you found this forum. It has saved me from horrible complications.

I was diagnosed 8 yrs ago & have controlled it by diet & some exercise so far. I do have a script for metformin because my fasting morning numbers are high but not sure if I'll take it yet.

My A1c is 6.1 My day BG is fine, its just the early morning ones known as Dawn Phenomenon DP 

funkynassau

I'd love to have Chinese food again but that's not going to happen.  You will find it won't be on your To Have list anymore, unfortunately.

I never had trouble with metformin like many do, but it should get better as your body gets used to it.

Test your blood sugar as many times a day as you can while you learn what you can eat and what you can't eat.  You'll quickly learn what works for you.  Avoid white things like bread, pasta, rice, sugar grains.  Berries may be ok, most other fruits won't be.

By the way it's called A1C not AC1!

OldTech

I'm still on metformin and plan to stay on it even though my last A1c was 4.5. The main reason that I decided to stay on metformin is because it reduces insulin resistance which is a major characteristic of type IIs.

BTW: Type IIs are carb intolerant likely for the rest of their lives. A few lucky people have been able to drop the weight and have a reversal or at least a remission but I do not appear to be one of those so I know that I have to limit my carbs if I am to avoid complications in the future. So no Chinese food for me as well as a lot of other high carb dishes. 

Kit

Hi Shackhelp, welcome to the group.

I just recently dealt with a kidney stone.  It was small and passed rather quickly.  My husband, however, had one a few years ago that required he have a proceedure to break it up so it would pass.  Poor guy.  You have my sympathy.  :)

The metformin side effects usually fade off after a little while.  I had them very mildly for about a week then it all went away.  It does help if you're eating a low carb diet while taking it.  Given that a low carb diet is what a diabetic needs, there's little conflict there.  High carb diets can do exactly what you discovered.  Once you get yourself to your target levels, you might be able to drop the met.  Personally, with an A1C of 5.1, I still glare at my doctor when she talks about dropping it.  :)

Now I do have to say, you can indeed eat chinese food.  What you can't have is the Americanized version that is full of sugar, starches, and salt.  You can look around for some low carb recipes.  Simple stir fries take less time to cook than it takes to cut up the vegetables.  Instead of rice, you can do something like shiritaki noodles or cauliflower rice.

Or, if you're like me, you'll find this appealing

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2014/05/spicy-cauliflower-stir-fry/

Cook your meat and other vegetables in a similar manner, or make a red curry with red curry paste, onions, garlic, bell pepper, zucchini, and canned coconut milk.  Add in the protein of choice and serve over the cauliflower stir fry.

Anyway, read around, ask any questions you might have.  Someone is always happy to help out.  Very friendly bunch here.  :)

JanetP

Welcome.  The recipe thread may help you if you like to cook.

Get a glucometer, check your sugar when you wake up, before meals, 2 hours and 1 hour afterward.  Write it all down, including what you eat.  Eventually you will learn how you react to particular foods and it may be good information for a discussion with a doctor or a nutrition educator.  Pay no attention to the ADA.  YOur goal is to be less than 140 at 2 hours after a meal.

Always, always, take your metformin with food (says the woman who knows where every public bathroom in town is) and you may want to go up on your dose gradually.  It takes a few weeks fo it to kick in and reach it's full effect.  A pill cutter is chaep at a dollar store.

YOu have my sympathy concerning the kidney stone.  I've had one, too.  Not as severe as yours but enough to make me pretty miserable.

moneymeister

Welcome. I was diagnosed and put on met at 6.7. Like you, just over the threshold. You're smart to taste and test. Best way to learn what happens when you eat carbs. Each of us tolerate carbs differently.

If the metformin keeps playing with your stomach, try the extended release version. Be aware that the 500mg pills are dirt cheap. The 1000 mg pills are $$$$. The top dose of the extended release is 2000 once a day. I take 4-500 mg pills at bedtime. Just an idea in case the stomach does not settle down.

I often eat chinese, but go to a buffet that has a mongolian BBQ stand. You fill a plate with veggies and meat (no noodles or ride) and they grill it while you wait. It does fine with the blood sugar. I always add hot spicy stuff. 

Welcome!

samuraiguy

Welcome to the forums. Metformin does have a set up period where it needs to reach potency, but does work best when you are having no more than 130 g carbs daily. It can allow your pancreas to rest and with weight loss and diet adjustments you may be able to go back off of it, but probably not back to eating a higher carb load so what I do is find lower carb alternatives to the things I really love, i.e. using cauliflower rice lowers much of the carbs from Chinese food which I love to have on occasion, but I make my own.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.