Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batmandi

Hypo symptoms followed by spike?

Batmandi

Hi all, I was just diagnosed with GD for my second pregnancy. The first was really a joke to me, I ate everything I wanted and my sugars never went above 120. This time is proving a little more difficult. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight.

Long story short two times now I have had hypoglycemia symptoms, along with a low-ish count (70 and 72), while I was doing some physically taxing tasks. Both times I have happened to eat white rice (shrimp tempura rolls and white rice with chicken), and had a spike at my 1 hour reading (137 and 153). I'm wondering if the spike was caused because of the rice, or if the spike was caused because I was low before I ate. I will try rice again and make sure I'm not low to get an accurate count, but has anyone experienced hypo symptoms, then gotten a spike after eating? Thanks!

dowling gram

Hi Batmandi welcome to the forum

70 and 72 are not low enough to really be called a low especially if you were doing a physical task. You burn glucose when you exercise and you were doing a form of exercise. Yes the most likely culprit causing the higher number was the rice and the tempura batter. 1/2 cup of rice has 23 G of carbs and even 1/4 cup of tempura batter has 19 carbs so if you ate those amounts your meal had 42 grams of carbohydrates and that is probably too much for your system to handle and keep your BG in the normal range. The137 at 1 hour is acceptable but 153 is too high. Most of us like to keep our BG--blood glucose-- below 140 at all times

Grains like rice, bread,pasta or anything made from flour are very high in carbohydrates as are potatoes. Most fruit is high in fructose except berries so most of us avoid them too. Really the only way to know what food and what quantities of that food raises your BG is to test like you've been doing. Test at 2 hours too to see how long it takes to come back to normal. Every diabetic is different so testing is the only way to find out the food that raises our BG

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.