Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LaDonna

Fitbit

LaDonna

Do you have one? Is it working for you? Do you need motivation? I would love to find more people who are using it. It helps me a lot and I love the silent alarms. I use them to remind me to check my blood!

ORjt

Hi LaDonna,

Yep - have a FItbit Flex. Christmas present this year from my wife. I've found it to be very useful to track not only steps, but general activity (I log bike rides through the app).  Wasn't aware of the silent alarms - might be particular to the model that you've got? (There are quite a few different ones).

For me - it's not so much motivation as it is to just keep walking 'visible' to me. But yeah, I've found it to be very helpful.

--JT

LaDonna

I have the Charge HR. Keeps track of my heart rate and flights of stairs. I had the flex to start. It should have alarm capability. I think you have to set it up through the app. I love the sleep tracker too.

jwags

I just got the Charge HR.. I am still learning to use the different functions. The only thing Imdon't like is it doesn't record my steps and mileage on the treadmill. So it usually underestimates my steps by at least 4000-5000 steps. I also think it overestimates me just walking around the house or doing yard work. I love the HR function though.

moneymeister

I have the charge. Absolutely love it and have seen a difference in my activity level over time. It helps me remember to move around and not just hang out on the couch.

Peggy_TX

I won one at our healthfair last year (fitbit flex)

I have learned a LOT from the sleep tracker

The activity tracking stuff was interesting -- and I know I should pay more attention to it -- but didn't "motivate" me after the first few months

At the moment, I think it thinks I've died...   put it in the charger over the weekend, and with all the power outages, flooding, craziness, I've forgotten to put it back on.

Caravaggio

I had FitBit One. Actually, I had 2 of them. Lost them both. Dropped out of their skins without me realizing it.  I did love having my Fitbit One but I'm tired of having to replace them every time I lose them.

I've looked at the other trackers on the market and I haven't one that I really like. Lucky for me, I find different motivations to move.

jwags

The Charge HR has a wider strap like a watch with a buckle. So it is hard to slip off like the Flex. I am still trying to figure out all the bells and whistles or how to track exercise.

GrammaBear

I had FitBit One. Actually, I had 2 of them. Lost them both. Dropped out of their skins without me realizing it.  I did love having my Fitbit One but I'm tired of having to replace them every time I lose them.

I've looked at the other trackers on the market and I haven't one that I really like. Lucky for me, I find different motivations to move.

You aren't alone.  I had two of them do the exact same thing you've mentioned.  The company replaced the first one free, the 2nd one they did not.  For what I get out of it and the accuracy, there are other products on the market which are just as good or better and a whole lot cheaper.  When my current fitbit bites the dust that is the end of buying their brand !!

JanetP

Gram, what other products are out there?  Have you found one you like better and that works just as well?  The sleep tracker as well as the step counter interest me, but I just saw one recently and the price is a bit off-putting.   A gadget loving friend was wearing one and she loves hers.

GrammaBear

Gram, what other products are out there?  Have you found one you like better and that works just as well?  The sleep tracker as well as the step counter interest me, but I just saw one recently and the price is a bit off-putting.   A gadget loving friend was wearing one and she loves hers.

Janet, My fitbit flex still works and fortunately for me, it hasn't fallen out of the little rubber holder/clip.  But when it does bite the dust I hope to get something from Omron.  One can never know for sure if their advertisments are reliable, but I guess you just take a chance.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aomron%20step%20counter

art

The day they invent one that tracks blood sugar I'll get one.

Til then . Not for me

Art

danielneedscontrol

I bought a second hand Apple watch when I started getting serious again to manage my High Blood Pressure and Type diabetes. I have the fit bi but does not have the big screen.  It has gotten me to move more and in 24 hours I will join Crunch gym to start my regiments.

comedy

I have a Charge HR that I have stopped using because it was sooooo inaccurate. Too few steps, and I actually held it and watched as I walked, noticing that it missed approximately every third step. And it sometimes gave me a floor for the day just getting out of bed. Plus its heart rate was wrong when I compared it with my BP monitor, and the history drove me crazy because it never really handled my location correctly and wouldn't show my exercises until I was on the same date as the US. It couldn't even get my sleep right.

And yes, I read and contributed to the Help site posts, tried all the suggestions and nothing worked to fix it.

Plus it needed recharging every two days instead of the five they promised.

And I always had to sync it through my iPhone because it wouldn't sync directly with my Mac at all, ever.

That was $179.00 totally wasted.

GrammaBear

I have a Charge HR that I have stopped using because it was sooooo inaccurate. Too few steps, and I actually held it and watched as I walked, noticing that it missed approximately every third step. And it sometimes gave me a floor for the day just getting out of bed. Plus its heart rate was wrong when I compared it with my BP monitor, and the history drove me crazy because it never really handled my location correctly and wouldn't show my exercises until I was on the same date as the US. It couldn't even get my sleep right.

And yes, I read and contributed to the Help site posts, tried all the suggestions and nothing worked to fix it.

Plus it needed recharging every two days instead of the five they promised.

And I always had to sync it through my iPhone because it wouldn't sync directly with my Mac at all, ever.

That was $179.00 totally wasted.

I was thinking of getting the Charge HR as I still haven't found one that seems to be more accurate than the Flex fit.  Glad to read your post so as to not waste my money in this product.  I wonder if there really is an accurate step counter?

macksvicky

I have been thinking of getting something of that nature to keep up with BP, heart rate, etc. but there are so many out there. I guess I need to do more research! 

jwags

I recently got a new iPhone that tracks the miles and steps through GPS. My iPhone records 2000 more steps than my Charge HR Fitbit.. I would like to get something that monitors my BP, as well as my HR. My BP sometimes crashes after meals or when I stand up and it would be nice to know how much it goes down. I have a home meter but I keep it upstairs in my bathroom.

danielneedscontrol

I like my apple watch and I am not at all very anal about how many accurate steps that I take or how many miles I had achieved.  I understand that as long as I remember to put it on my wrist everyday morning and check it frequently that I am heading in the right direction concerning moderate exercise and some physical activity.  Keep in mind that according to scientific research and many fellow Diabetics here in this forum alike will confirm that any physical activity is better than none.

macksvicky

Right now all I can go on is when I walk outside I know how many miles I go, the weight machines must be working because I see and feel muscles, the recumbent bike has sensors on them that give a readout of my heart rate so at least I have somewhat of an idea. I still wish it would do blood pressure though. But I do know how much better I look and feel when I exercise. I just wish I hadn't waited till 56 years old before I started doing it! 

inglucerant

I have a Surge and like it quite a bit. I needed a new watch anyway. I've found that I'm more motivated to get my 10,000 steps in for the day, except on the 3 days a week when I do my biking. My Garmin stopped working a few months ago, and I really like the GPS tracker in the watch. The Garmin was more sophisticated in it's tracking, since it would pause at traffic lights, but other than that, it's an acceptable substitute.

comedy

I was thinking of getting the Charge HR as I still haven't found one that seems to be more accurate than the Flex fit.  Glad to read your post so as to not waste my money in this product.  I wonder if there really is an accurate step counter?

My Walkmeter iPhone app seems to be very accurate these days, and the GPS has improved tremendously in the four years I've been using it. It was comparing it with my Fitbit over several morning walks, along with watching the Fitbit as I walked that led me to determine that the Fitbit was reading consistently 33% low.

Fraser

Gps monitoring. The question is how does it react to being on a train or bus. I know a fit bit might pick up a few false bumps as steps

I use a Garmin for running. For variety I run further and take the train back. It thinks I can run really fast on the train.

How does Apple compensate.

I haven't checked for a year or two Garmin might have improved their programming by now. Of course that means my watch is 3 years old too.

comedy

Gps monitoring. The question is how does it react to being on a train or bus. I know a fit bit might pick up a few false bumps as steps

I use a Garmin for running. For variety I run further and take the train back. It thinks I can run really fast on the train.

How does Apple compensate.

I haven't checked for a year or two Garmin might have improved their programming by now. Of course that means my watch is 3 years old too.

The Walkmeter on my iPhone is clever enough to work out that I'm not walking when I drive then walk then drive. Also, the pedometer in Walkmeter is automatic, so as long as I have the phone in my pocket or handbag, it will tell me how many steps I've done, and gives me different colours when I have it set for an exercise walk as opposed to just pottering around with the phone attached.

Fraser

Ah! At least the older. Garmin I have does not have a pedometer function. It is really only distance and time and elevation.

I am sure the newer ones have more features. And ar more expensive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.