Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

type1mama

Hi, Type 1 Mom of a 15 year old

type1mama

Hello

This is my first time on a forum. We are in month 9 of the "honeymoon" period (I hate that word), no medications. He also has Hashimotos, no medications.  His A1C last was 6.1.  We are working with a team of healers (endocrinologist, two chiropractors, a nutritionist and a whole food dietitian) and are stabilizing my son with diet (Paleo/AIP) and supplements. He is also Rolfing, having regular Chiropractic Care, using Essential Oils with aromatherapy and Oil Pulling. We are working tirelessly to stopping his antibodies from attacking his pancreas and thyroid. So far, so good. 

I cook for a living and firmly believe that healing can happen with nutrition. But I am very alone with this thinking regarding Type 1. I am looking for like minded folks.

Today I am trying to understand emotions and blood sugar numbers and how they go together. My son is experiencing stress with finals and a bit of PTSD from an anniversary of tragedy date upon us. His numbers have been high for three days now with sudden drops after eating. As we have found with using food as insulin, we must take action immediately to stabilize. And I'm just not sure which action to take. Other than emotions, there hasn't been too many changes. He was using Stevia everyday so I just today stopped that. Just to see. He also was trying a new mint that is essential oils and molasses. I asked him to stop this today just in case. I am scared and tired of hearing "oh, the honeymoon period is ending". This has happened a couple times now and we have always been able to find the cause. 

Thank you for your time. 

Cora

Hi and welcome Mama. I am going to be the first to admit that I am not "like minded". But that said, I'll say this. Nothing is going to stop your son from leading a normal, wonderful, healthy, active, fun-filled, and exciting life. Even if he leaves his "honeymoon" and requires insulin. Type 1 diabetes will not stop him and given modern technologies, shouldn't shorten his life at all either. Oh, and I hate the term "honeymoon" as well.

My only advice to you is to make sure that if your son does require insulin, make sure that he feels no guilt or shame in this. No one will be happier for you than me, if all your efforts work and he doesn't require insulin. But just make sure that if he does, he doesn't feel as though he didn't try or didn't cooperate enough.

Best of luck to you.

Cora

Oh, and just to add, emotions can have odd effects. I found that "sad" or "stress" emotions would often raise my bgs levels (but not always), but more positive stress could do the opposite. For many years as a small child, my glucose levels would drop due to the excitement of Santa coming. On the way to summer camp (my favorite place in the whole-wide-world) I'd have to have a snack to keep my levels up.

ant hill

Yes as I would only echo of what Cora has said. If managed well he will live a normal life without the complications that may affect him.

Just 3 things.

Balance the

Insulin & Carbs

Exercise.

Sobriquet

Agree with what Cora said as well... I think i may have been diabetic for a while, but didn't know because of my diet (whole foods, everything made from scratch, from fresh ingredients, no processed anything, etc) ... until it didn't keep it under control any more. That was not my fault, and there is nothing i could have done - it was just where my body was up to at that point in time.

Having said that, a sensible diet will keep insulin requirements to a minimum should they ever be required and be all round healthy for your son.

As for emotions:

Nervousness makes my numbers go through the roof. If i have a presentation or when I'm performing or similar i go through insulin like water - despite eating Paleo, exercising, etc. It can be any kind of nervous - even nerves i don't know i'm having - the night before my wedding i went to bed a little excited but not freaked out (I thought) and woke up at 3am at 280.

If i am stressed, running for a flight etc - numbers go up (and usually crash once the stress is over) - i almost always go low while queuing to get through passport control.

If i feel stressed in social situations, numbers may go up or down - there does not seem to be a clear pattern there.

Hot weather makes my numbers drop... i'm afraid i was diagnosed too late (at 39 years old) to know what effect the imminent visit of Santa Claus would do for me :)

You also perhaps need to consider the impact of hormones in your son's body, growth hormones etc, may play a role.

Similarly, the thyroid gland, if over active, can drive numbers down - it is a common problem with people who have diabetes and Hashimoto's.

Just make sure to keep all the avenues of conversation open with your son - you are clearly working very hard to make this work, which is great - but there is a danger that all communication becomes about a disease, rather than the person - i now feel isolated from a couple of my friends as they can't get past the disease to find me anymore, and that would be a tragedy for you both.

DeusXM

I cook for a living and firmly believe that healing can happen with nutrition. But I am very alone with this thinking regarding Type 1. I am looking for like minded folks.

I think you'll find this difficult as what you're looking for is not realistic.

I agree that diet has a huge amount of impact on well-being. But unfortunately, T1 is a very complex medical condition that we still don't fully understand but know has an underlying genetic component. I know this sounds upsetting, but that actually means the very code of life that makes up each and every one of us with T1 is broken at a very basic level. You cannot fix that with food. There are no dietary components that repair the broken code that is in each and every cell in the body, nor any foods that can stimulate the growth of islet cells or stop the autoimmune reaction that leads to their destruction in the first place.

That is not to say that diet cannot help - after all, T1 is essentially a condition that affects how your body processes what you put in it, but because T1 stops the production of an essential hormone (one that's just as essential as blood), your son WILL need that hormone to be replaced.

I have to say, I'm a little alarmed to hear your son has allegedly had T1 for 9 months but is still not taking insulin. Your son needs insulin - not to keep his blood sugar in check, but to metabolically function. I am glad to see there is an endo involved in all of this - have they advocated not prescribing insulin? Is your son being checked regularly for fatal diabetic ketoacedosis? Who is actually the main decision maker in the diabetes treatment options your son takes, because if it's anyone other than the endo, then they're not qualified to do so, not properly trained and possibly not even regulated. I am trying very hard to not sound rude, disrespectful or condescending but what you're describing as 'normal' is highly alarming and depending on the situation, criminally negligent. Please do not put your son's life at risk for the sake of what sounds like a collection of beliefs that do not correspond with reality.

I know you probably don't want to hear any of the above and you just want to hear from people who share your beliefs. However, if you truly want the best for your son, you must ensure you hear a wide range of opinions rather than just those that confirm your own - and on a personal level, I can't sit back and let a fellow T1 end up in a potentially dangerous situation without speaking up.

GretchO

As we have found with using food as insulin...

What does this mean? How do you use food as insulin?

JohnSchroeder

His numbers have been high for three days now with sudden drops after eating.

I seriously doubt Type1mama is checking this forum anymore, but I just reread her post and this bit makes me think the boy doesn't even have type 1.

Thats 1.5 or 2 if his numbers drop after eating.

Cora

I seriously doubt Type1mama is checking this forum anymore, but I just reread her post and this bit makes me think the boy doesn't even have type 1.

Thats 1.5 or 2 if his numbers drop after eating.

It can happen, for a variety of reasons, even in a T1. I had a friend who's bg would drop overnight. Huh? Radically drop, sort of an opposite dawn phenomenon. And a kid who's pancreas is still sputtering along might have a bit of relative reactive-hypoglycemia.

It's too bad the op hasn't returned. I would be happy to cheer her on if her child is doing well on the diet plan she has for him. I only hope he is happy.

miketurco

We all wish you well, and wish you were right. We all wish that type one could be prevented or even cured by diet alone. The fact is that if the body doesn't produce any insulin, you gotta shoot some in there. Period. My personal opinion is it sounds like you're in denial. Let's not argue that point. If I'm wrong I'm sorry.

That being said, the possibility exists that I am right. And the fact is, neither one of us are qualified to make that determination.

Please consider speaking to a personal counselor. Your son's health depends on you making good decisions. Do the right thing by bringing a new, qualified pro into the picture.

Mike

mwise

Okay!! So most of the responses are not "like minded" as you had hoped for but that is because most of us are either A.)living with type one or B.) caring for a child with type one. So, as a mom of an 8 year old type 1, do I wish that there were a cure or that all the healings that you are speaking of would help her...ABSOLUTELY!! I would jump on that train and ride all the way to the edge of the earth (yes I know the earth is round..thats the pun intended.) However, not that we don't want to take all your hopes away but we merely want to make sure that while you may try what you want, end the end if medication is needed and your healings did not work, your son can still be happy, healthy, and do whatever his hormones drive him to do. So moma, be blessed and try not to worry so much...it is what it is:)

P.S. Did you ever take into account how your "healings" are effecting your child. Have you asked whether he wants to do these things?

ant hill

Thank you for your time. 

Hello Type1Mama,

Just wondered how you going with your son's condition. You are in the great position to know about the value of foods in what it can do for you in terms of energy and long lasting energy as we match that too insulin. Take some time to what Green Vegtables does to the body. Exercise play a metolisum role as this makes the insulin work harder so it's good practice to have Fast Carbs within easy reach for him.

I wish him well in your endeavors with this disease. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.