Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Antharias

Hormone Replacement

Antharias

Right, yes, only my second post and it is a new topic so I do apologise about this but I am actually in need of rather vital information that I cannot find anywhere else. Either my search parameters are incorrect or I am missing one of the results somewhere.

For a long time I have kept it hidden that I want to change genders. I have finally stepped up and decided to do all the research with this but am struggling to find information on how the estrogen would affect my body. Yes, it will be a male to female transformation and I am sitting in a very unhappy state at the moment because I am unable to do the change.

If anybody has prior experience with what happens to your diabetes with the change, I would gladly appreciate a response and I would completely understand if you would prefer to send a private message about it. I know it takes a lot of courage to come out with this and I know some people are definitely not ready for it to be public so I will be extremely happy if somebody can give me information on this.

Thank-you in advance for any help with this.

adiantum

Hello Antharias , although I cant answer your question about HRT any more then that which google will advise,

I just wanted to tell you that you have my empathy & I wish you well.

Unfortunately we cant PM you nor you us, until you have more posts in your history.

I believe its 15posts  but hey... I could be wrong

Antharias

Aaah, thank-you for the note on the PM side. May make this a difficult one to do then until that but I shall explore some other options and thanks for your support on the matter. :)

adiantum

What a good idea funky.... I didn't think of that.

I just googled transgender forum & several forums appeared , some under transexual.

Antharias

I am going to a physical support group for the first time on the 13th so if I could not get an answer here, I would ask them there. Just wanted to try and get a little information beforehand if anybody may have known.  :)

ant hill

For a long time I have kept it hidden that I want to change genders. I have finally stepped up and decided to do all the research with this but am struggling to find information on how the estrogen would affect my body. Yes, it will be a male to female transformation and I am sitting in a very unhappy state at the moment because I am unable to do the change.

This is a very big step for you and you are very game to come out here. Also you are a Diabetic as this is that what we know as getting your Hormones to transition you would have to see a Psychiatrist as this may put you with a trans Doctor as He or She will observe you over 2 years. Once that the Trans Doctor is satisfied with you need, Then you will be on Hormone Transition Therapy also the option for surgery.

You will be in for a ride!!! Meaning that your Trans Doctor will look at you from every angle. Don't lie to them as they will stop you right there! Tell them everything with the truth, your experiences, What you like. Let them learn about you. Also say that you are a Diabetic as they have the understanding what may happen with your control or what you may experience.

Have you seen any documentaries about Transitioning?

JanetP

Best wishes to you and kudos for your courage!  I don't know the doses of hormones used in the procedures you mention, but I would not be at all surprised if they mess with your sugars.  I would love to hear about you adventures if you care to share.

Antharias

I have done a lot of reading on the matter but as I said, finding information on what it will do with the diabetes is difficult. I will be seeing a Psychiatrist at the end of the month (if all goes well) and they can recommend from there. 

I will be going for surgery as well but will not do it in my country as our doctors do not have the experience they need to get the results I want. I spent 3 hours last night speaking to somebody who is going through the process and she gave me details of people to speak to, the correct doctors to contact and told me the same thing about keeping the truth going. I am fortunate that I do have a small bone structure and as I am only 27, I have not had the major male things happen that occur after 30. I have also never been overweight and just do running presently so there is no massive muscle development.

I will lose the muscle, put on a bit of weight because of a fat layer that forms when you start the hormone therapy but it just means I will have to run harder and control my sugar levels a little closer than now.

I know I am in for a massive ride with this process but honestly, when depression sets in on a daily basis, you need to take the courage to go forward. The lady I met last night also told me that I either have to make the choice now, to get the results I want, or I will make it later in life and not get what I want. It is not a feeling that will disappear, no matter how much you try.

I have been watching a few documentaries but last night was the final push that finally put my mind at ease. I had not been able to take the step as I had so many unanswered questions and did not want to start something and make a mistake.

predb4

Aaah, thank-you for the note on the PM side. May make this a difficult one to do then until that but I shall explore some other options and thanks for your support on the matter. :)

post on the morning glucose reading thread and the daily weight on the diet thread, 15 posts will soon be there.

Cora

You've gotten good advice so far (love this forum) so all I can add is that I suspect that the initial introduction of hormones will, in fact, mess with your sugars. What many of us women find is that the hormonal fluctuations of our cycles affect our bgs. But since you will (I'm assuming) be taking a fairly steady dose, things should stabilize. But don't be surprised if at the beginning all he## breaks loose.

Best of luck to you and please keep posting. I'd be interested to learn what you find out.

Antharias

I am expecting the heck to break loose at the beginning but the fluctuations should not bother me as much as those born female are. Unless I am mistaken, from what you said, it is because of the body's natural cycle in preparation for child bearing that causes the problems.

jwags

Women find that during their period and during menopause their bgs go haywire. I am well into menopause so I no longer have much estrogen on board. I opted against HRT because of the Cancer risk of too much estrogen. I have a sister and MIL who both got Breast cancer after HRT.

Antharias

The thing is that the dosage of estrogen would be small and I would be starting out at the level of what a teenager starts at. (I could be mistaken but I am assuming those levels because of the development of breasts). Remember I will not have the period situation and menopause either.

Antharias

One comment I need to leave in here before anybody thinks that this may be in any way related to Caitlyn Jenner, it is not. I am not climbing on any band wagon or anything like that. This is a matter I have been struggling with for a good 20+ years and just happened to coincide. I tend to have poor timing with things  :P.

ant hill

One comment I need to leave in here before anybody thinks that this may be in any way related to Caitlyn Jenner, it is not. I am not climbing on any band wagon or anything like that. This is a matter I have been struggling with for a good 20+ years and just happened to coincide. I tend to have poor timing with things   :P.

Yes Indeed!!! This is something that you cannot show a Local General Practice. I know the torment that's going on within you Antharias. The transition will be Horrible as people has their own opinions. BUT!!!! It will get better as everything needs to be done NOW!!!!! Unfortunately the Hormones take time as you go though Pubity again with the 2" syringe & Hypodermic Antigen. :lol: Insulin is far easier. ;)

Antharias, You may be Late with this but then again, You will become Happier and Confident with life again, Skin becomes Softer, Hair becomes thicker as then you be able to have Longer Hair!!! :D Mine has half way down my back and as being Male it's thin and Brittle!!!! The thought of Cutting it as......Well :huh::rolleyes:  

Diana_CT

Hello Antharias, I am a social worker (not a therapist) who works with the LGBT population and many of your questions can be answered in a peer support group. I know of several transgender people who are diabetic and endos can successfully monitor patients on Cross Gender Hormones. Basically the risk factors are the same as any woman on HRT.

When you sit down with your endocrinologist they will go over with you the risk factors involved with Cross Gender Hormones (the dosages are from 10 to 20 times higher than HRT) and testosterone blockers. But before you start hormones you will have to have an evaluation by a therapist.

You can learn about the requirements for the Standard of Care here.

Good luck on your journey.

Diana_CT

The thing is that the dosage of estrogen would be small and I would be starting out at the level of what a teenager starts at. (I could be mistaken but I am assuming those levels because of the development of breasts). Remember I will not have the period situation and menopause either.

The initial levels are small but the endocrinologists will monitor you are they step up the dosage of both the hormones and the blockers. Usually the step increases are two weeks apart and what they will monitor to see at what level it no longer makes a hormone level change in your body and they will then step back one increase.

Are you monitoring your BG now?

Antharias

Diana, I do monitor my blood glucose 3 times a day as a standard. Morning, lunch and evening. I also keep a very close eye on my body and have learnt the feelings of when my sugar levels are too high or too low.

I have my first support meeting on the 13th of June and I will get a lot asked there.

I know that the increases will be large and quite often. I am fortunate enough that my facial features are feminine. 

The needles have never been a problem. I actually miss my long hair. It was about 3 inches above my backside and I do miss it. Had a very envious girlfriend at the time that my hair was better than hers.  :D

Diana, thank-you very much for those links and I will read through them today as I want to make sure I have all the information I can before starting the process.

Sobriquet

Hey Antharias - welcome to the sisterhood, so to speak!

I think what the ladies meant regarding hormones was that they will simply make your life... interesting... for the time that you take them. I don't know if you need to take a 'maintenance' dose once your process is complete.

Don't forget to factor in the clichéd emotions we see in the movies - not everyone has it, but there are times when my body is being driven by some weepy miserable woman who is not me ( I am not a weepy miserable woman at all), but there is nothing i can do about it. It passes. But if you get like that, and your bg is running really high so you just can't have that ice cream (or whatever) you NEED RIGHT NOW - it can be less than fun. :) Just have a plan to distract yourself, and try to avoid the temptation to put anything on facebook or youtube - you never know what is going to come out!

Support wise - (I'm assuming you're in the US? - I'm not, but most on here are) i can only think of groups like the National Coalition for LGBT health - www.lgbthealth.net or similar. Maybe your therapist/ medical team will also know of a few groups? Otherwise you could try contacting some of the 'stars' of the diabetes world, like Lex at www.facebook.com/madeulookbylex - to see if they can put a shout out for other people who are going through or have gone through the same thing?

Antharias

Aaah, sorry, if I misunderstood what the ladies meant there. Was put through my first bit of "do these clothes suit me" last night with a friend.

Worst case scenario, if I get weepy, will hopefully be the packet of chips that is a lot less painful (maybe a little more around the hips) than what the ice-cream will be.

As for location, Cape Town, South Africa. For support groups, we have something called The Triangle Project.

Sobriquet

Hormones can also raise your bg massively- for you only an issue in the short term I guess - although for me it's how I feel about the numbers hat makes it so much harder. I am lucky in that I can recognise how I am feeling, and that it is not 'real'- I can't stop feeling it, but at least I can explain to my husband what the problem is.

It's all part of the wonderful soup that makes a person an individual.

If you're in RSA- maybe stick with biltong if you like it... To say nothing of your fabulous wines!!

Antharias

lol. Sobriquet, the funny part of that last bit that you said there is interesting. Biltong is great but very dehydrating due to the massive salt content and I hate alcohol so definitely not going to drink.

Yeah, I mentioned that the feelings are something I have become quite accustomed to with regards to what my sugar is like. (Mentioned it in my Greetings post). I have, after 24 years, learnt to listen to my body a lot. When it does not feel good, here come the strips. We all have our bad days there.

Yes, I suspect the initial month or so, while my body becomes accustomed to it, will be rather difficult but with the exercise, I should be able to keep it under control. The strict diet that I will have to go on will be essential as well. The last thing I want to do is become overweight.

I have the first meeting this week Saturday and I will be finding out what products are safe enough for diabetics and do not cause problems. The issues are with things like makeup and so on. (I have to hide that wonderful 5 o'clock thing till I can get laser surgery done or another method of hiding it).

Just as a side note, not related to diabetes but how the heck do you women shop for hours on end. 3 hours of clothes shopping and my back could not take any more (I only got two items of clothing in that entire time).   :blink:

Diana_CT

Just remember that not all women wear markup and not all women like to shop, we each find what is comfortable for us and you will also over time find what is comfortable for you.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.