Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sobriquet

That last 10 points....

Sobriquet

So, we're trying again, again to have a baby. IUI this time, which means we have a specific start date - which was  a few days ago - so even though i may not be pregnant, i kind of have to try to get numbers like i am.

My problem is that i can't get my body to stay below 110 without going into an all out crash. I am pretty stable at 105-115, usually i only have a 30 point deviation over the day, i eat really low carb (average 30g per meal), and exercise at specific times to prevent spikes, but my body just seems to be happy there, and getting it below 110 usually means an extra bolus and a full out low bg (sub-60's).

Then if i eat something, i always bounce straight back up to 110-120.

Like i said, i am eating low carb, i have upped the exercise, i have re-introduced the 'afternoon NPH' shot, but am nervous about tweaking all basals, as i really do have a pretty consistent flat line otherwise. But always between 100-120

If i add one unit to all my basals, will that get me down, and my body will get used to the new 'normal'?

My a1c is good enough that i shouldn't worry, but all the pregnancy guidelines say i should have a fasting bg of 80, and i never get that. This would be so much easier if we didn't have our stupid liver working against us all the time! (Even if it just let off a horn or a whistle or something every time it released a load of sugar into my system that would help a lot! :) )

(I always appreciate your input, but please don't tell me to get off NPH, that discussion has been had with my endo - several times, and i can't change it until I no longer want to get pregnant - pumps are also unaffordable for me - i just need to get smarter with the tools i have available).

jwags

My bgs are always set in the 110-140 range even eating 10 carbs per meal. I guess it is lucky I have already had my kids. I have never had a fasting of 80 in over 8 years. The only thing Imcan think of is switching to Lantus or Levemire. Many don't like NPH because it has an unpredictable delivery.

Moonpie

Just wanted to wish you good luck & maybe stressing over 10 points is useless. When you consider the variants in meters & strips, I'd say your fbg are just fine.

Sobriquet

Hi jwags, i know... i just can't do anything about it. We have a great health system here, in that everything is paid for (pretty much), but in some ways it is a bit limited!

Moonpie - i kind of know what you mean, and it is what i tell myself, but i figure it can't hurt to try... (takes my mind off everything else!)

I upped the basal last night by one unit - woke up at 90 at 5.30 - but it had gone back up to 120 again by the time i got up at 7am. I guess i can only try!!

Sobriquet

Jwags - Sadly no pumps. They will pay for the insulin, but not the delivery system. Pens are free, and three months supply of insulin, needle tips (Canula in english? i always forget), Bg strips, and lancets only costs me about 25€.

Maybe if i save up, i can afford the machine, (they cost about €4000 here) but even then, the replacement needle things are ridiculously expensive.

There is a provision for getting a pump during pregnancy here, but sadly my insurance rejected my application because my bg is stable, and my a1c is good. If only they realised how much freaking work went into getting those numbers... honestly if even half the people who make these decisions had diabetes... big breath... anyhow, I'm ok with it in general, relying on my brain is better than relying on some machine anyway - it's just little things like this that drive me mental.

On the other hand i think, if my body is so damn determined to stay where it is - then maybe that is where it needs to be. Maybe that is what went wrong before? Who knows... Stay tuned i guess! ;)

Seagal

Best wishes to you on your quest for pregnancy and better numbers.  Perhaps you are meant to have b.g. where you are or any changes may just take a little longer?  Patience is very hard!

Sobriquet

Seagal - thanks - i know patience is not what i have a lot of right now. I feel particularly silly doing all this when we don't even know if i am pregnant yet. The darling man is away on a business trip, and i would love nothing more than to meet up with the ladies for a glass of wine and a natter. But i can't, because i can't drink wine, and i can't tell anyone, and if I'm not drinking wine they are all going to know... blah blah blah...

And this is BEFORE officially being pregnant :)

Anyhow- here's hoping it is all for the best.

(6pm reading: 112. Unbelievable. So 6 units basal at 8am, 2 units at 3pm, with a rejigged lunch carb:insulin ratio, no spike, no low, just a gradual up to 130 one hour after eating and then back around 110). I mean this would be a dream day any other time of my life!!

jwags

I remember reading in Dr Bernstein's book that sometimes he suggests 3 doses of NPH a because it is really an intermediate insulin , not long acting.

Sobriquet

Thanks jwags - i am on 3 doses a day now - under 'normal' conditions i can get away with only 2, but now i have one in the morning at 8am, one at 3pm and one at midnight.

123 this morning - took 1.5 units liprolog, read/ sent work emails etc in bed for 45 minutes to delay DP (my DP only kicks in when I'm vertical) - bg dropped to 98 so i thought good - ready to go! - got up to shower etc, and I'm now back at 112.

Crazy body of mine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.