Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bishop

hard boiled eggs consumption

Bishop

Any of you guys eat hard boiled eggs on a regular basis?  I've always loved them but was a bit brainwashed (?) about the fat, cholesterol, etc. long ago and only recently started eating them again with a dab of Dijon mustard.  I've been doing 2 in the morning about 5 days a week, maybe more (4x a day) on some days.

I'll certainly be tested for the usual stuff to see if this impacts my cholesterol, and other numbers, and know that "everyone is different" - but wondering if there were others out there who eat eggs like this regularly with good blood works numbers over a longer period of time.

jwags

I make a big batch every week. I make deviled eggs or chop them up in Cobb salads. They are the best thing for a LC diet. My cholesterol went down when I started eating eggs again.

adiantum

I keep an egg cooker on the kitchen bench top because I often boil eggs.

Theyre a great snack item, or bulk up a salad.

I also cook a big batch of curried vegetables & freeze for later dates, when thawed I add boiled eggs or whatever .

The last cream of asparagus dish was really nice with 4 boiled eggs sliced into it.

Enjoy eggs without the fear of cholesterol etc  but please respect the life of the chicken & never buy caged hens eggs.

Forester

I eat at least 2 eggs a day, every day.  My lipid panels are just fine.  Of course the eggs are from my own free-range chickens.  :D

Kit

I can't really say I eat anything every day (except for maybe nuts) but I do eat eggs frequently.  My lipid panel has been significantly improving since I was diagnosed and went LCHF.

Stl-T2

I was eating at least three scrambled eggs/day at least 5 days out of 7 each week after being diagnosed. You can see what that did to my cholesterol in my signature file.

Hammer

Ever since I found that I could buy hard boiled eggs at the food store, that has been my breakfast every day.  I eat three hard boiled eggs every day, and my total cholesterol is 137.  I have been eating three eggs every day now for over three years, and it hasn't affected my cholesterol levels one bit.

Years ago, when I felt like cooking, I'd fry up 6 sausage patties, cut into 1/8 pieces, then, once they were fully cooked, I'd add 8 eggs that had been whipped.  I'd stir the whole mixture up while it was cooking, then, once it was cooked, I'd take it off the stove and eat it.  I did this practically every day for years, and it had no effect on my cholesterol levels.  These days, I could never eat that much food, so I stick to my three hard boiled eggs for breakfast.

predb4

Eggs are reputed to help keep eyes healthy as they have lutein and zeaxanthin.

I eat about 4 eggs each week.

for the past 20 years, my doctor never told me to restric eggs.

he has always said lecithin in eggs improves cholesterol.

predb4

Ever since I found that I could buy hard boiled eggs at the food store, that has been my breakfast every day.  I eat three hard boiled eggs every day, and my total cholesterol is 137.  I have been eating three eggs every day now for over three years, and it hasn't affected my cholesterol levels one bit.

Years ago, when I felt like cooking, I'd fry up 6 sausage patties, cut into 1/8 pieces, then, once they were fully cooked, I'd add 8 eggs that had been whipped.  I'd stir the whole mixture up while it was cooking, then, once it was cooked, I'd take it off the stove and eat it.  I did this practically every day for years, and it had no effect on my cholesterol levels.  These days, I could never eat that much food, so I stick to my three hard boiled eggs for breakfast.

For those who care to boil their own eggs. it is easy.

put the eggs in cold water, birng to a rolling boild, put a cove on and shut off the heat.  the eggs will be ready in 15 minutes.  you can store them in the fridge for several days.

moe22

I love them scrambled, I scramble me two egg whites & one whole egg  every morning except this morning (occasionally I'll fry me two whole egg); the yolks have a good bit of cholesterol ; my lipid panel is fine course I also take Arvostatin  as you can see in my sig.

TommyC1

I eat two eggs for breakfast almost every day.

My cholesterol is borderline and my family has a history of stroke so I take a statin.

I never did buy the eggs raise your cholesterol thing.

Uff Da

I eat two jumbo eggs almost daily.  I refer to them as "steamed eggs."  I spray an omelet pan with a spot of oil and wipe it with a paper towel to get a very thin coating of oil, just enough to keep the eggs from sticking.  Crack the eggs into the pan.  Cover until the white starts to set.  Add a teaspoon or two of water. Cover again until the yolks are desired consistency.  Saves a few calories over having fried eggs.

I'm on a statin due to high cholesterol.  And I do believe that I'm one of those individuals whose cholesterol is affected by dietary consumption, as I've noticed my numbers have gone up and down over the past couple of decades depending upon how many eggs I was eating.  But much of the increase is in HDL.  Last time my HDL was 88, but the previous time it was 101.  Even with a statin my LDL was still 121 last time, but I refuse to take a larger dose as I get leg cramps at higher doses.

Hammer

For those who care to boil their own eggs. it is easy.

put the eggs in cold water, birng to a rolling boild, put a cove on and shut off the heat.  the eggs will be ready in 15 minutes.  you can store them in the fridge for several days.

I have boiled my own eggs in the past, but I feel that it's cheaper to buy them already hard boiled and peeled.  Buying them already hard boiled means that each egg is cooked perfectly, and a bag of ten eggs ($2.59) breaks down to 26¢ per egg....not to mention that they last for 28 days in the refrigerator.  When I'd make them myself, I figured in the cost of the eggs, the cost of the electricity to cook the eggs (I have an electric stove), and my time cooking and peeling the eggs.  There is also the fact that I don't cook, so my stove top is covered with cans and boxes and bags....all of which I'd have to remove to get to my stove top.  In my case, it's cheaper to just buy them in the bag, ready to eat. (I buy 4-5 bags at a time, which lasts me 13-16 days.) :)

georgepds

Here's what Willet (HSPH) has to say

"I realized back in the late ’70s that there was not a single study showing that people who ate more cholesterol — or specifically ate more eggs, which are uniquely high in cholesterol — had higher risk of heart attack. You would have thought, given all those strong [dietary] recommendations, that there would be a handful of studies that showed if you ate more eggs or more cholesterol you would have higher heart attack risk."

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2015/02/the-entire-egg/

But..." among people with diabetes, we do see an increased risk of heart disease with higher egg consumption. There is also quite a bit of evidence that higher egg consumption is related to a higher risk of diabetes itself. So for some people it’s still good to limit eggs."

Stl-T2
But..." among people with diabetes, we do see an increased risk of heart disease with higher egg consumption. There is also quite a bit of evidence that higher egg consumption is related to a higher risk of diabetes itself. So for some people it’s still good to limit eggs."

First I've heard of that.

Kit

Deviled eggs with bacon?  Never tried that.

I tend to lean towards my mom's simple recipe

hard boiled eggs

mayo

salt

pepper

mustard powder

paprika for garnish

I have a couple hard boiled eggs left in my fridge.  Maybe I'll make some to have with dinner.  :)

Bishop

Just got my lipid blood works results after 20-30 days of eating all of those eggs and all that cheese every day.  They're not great (cholesterol a little high to me; HDL not high enough given past results), but all within normal ranges according to whatever guideline they're using - and I have to admit to being a wee bit surprised given all those years as a youngster with the anti-eggs and cheese brainwashing.

Cholesterol at 180, triglycerides at 84, HDL at 56, LDL 107, cholesterol/HDL ratio is at 3.2, VLDL is at 17.

Will certainly continue to monitor, track and learn.

Kit

Yeah, its weird seeing all those numbers go down (up for HDL) after being told for so long that even being in the same soon as an egg yolk could give you a heart attack.  :)

Bishop

after re-reading my post but somehow not being allowed to edit it, i noticed the tone in my brainwashing sentence.  that's a bit hypocritical of me given a very tiny personal anecdote, the fact that many other variables are involved beyond "eating a ton of eggs and cheese all the time" - there could be other factors in play, and there could also be other negative consequences i just haven't figured out yet, measured, etc.  

but damn, those cheese crisps Vicky posted about are sooooooooo good.  =)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.