Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

miketurco

First day on novolog

miketurco

That is exactly what Maura and i discussed about the insurance :) GMTA (great minds think alike.)

By the way, good news. That 138 this morning wasn't dp. It was a spike from that protein bar and it went back down. So tomorrow I'm going to stick with the same amount of novolog instead of titrating up and just going to change my meal in the way I said. It's only been a few days, but I like the direction this seems to be going.

miketurco

To clarify, my dp usually hits 150 or 155 and this morning I got 138 after breakfast. I thought that was a reduced dp, but that number came back down. I'm interpreting that as a meal spike because my dp takes hours to come down. Therefore, no dp this morning, the insulin change appears to be working.

jwags

We all call those late morning spikes DP but they are really liver dumps. It took me quite awhile to figure out what I could and could not eat. You have to eat the right kind of carbs that tricks your liver into not dumping. As type 2's we often have more problems with our livers than our pancreas. You just have to find the right combo of foods. You will also find all carbs are not created equal.

Kit

Mornings are a total pain in the rear end.  One day a certain breakfast will do well for me.  The next day it will raise me 25 points at 2 hours.

The rest of my day is much more predictable.

No real help or suggestions.  Just felt like commiserating.  :)

miketurco

It's going really well. Less than a week and I'm down 9 units of insulin overall. I believe I'll be able to do much better than that over the next few weeks. 

That's not to say that this hasn't been a rough road. When it comes to insulin, timing is everything. Not everything, but a big part. You know what I mean. 

I hit a low today of 44. It wasn't too bad, actually. I felt it coming on, are some hard candy and got things under control. And go figure, this happened on the day that I took the least insulin of all!

Otherwise, wow, my bg is better than its been for a really long time. I get a morning bump up to 128 or so, but it's short lived. I spend the rest of the day between 85 and 110, mostly all under a hundred. 

The trick here is for me to re-adjust my lantus such that I'm taking the bulk of it in the evening. For every 2 or 3 units I go down on lantus in the morning, I come up by about a unit in the evening. Plus the novolog, of course. Four units of that kills the huge morning spike.

:)

mom24grlz

How are you determining how much novolog to take for meals? Are you on a sliding scale, insulin to carb ratio, or just winging it? I hope you can get the correct amount of novolog figured out, seems like you may be taking a little to much at times.

miketurco

I've had the same fasting bg, have been eating the same breakfast and taking the same amount of novolog for 5 days now. I've found that 4 units of novolog lops the top off my morning spike. What I've been changing is my AM/PM lantus.

Yes, there's definitely a lot more tweaking to be done and I doubt that will be my last low. I took my PM basel down by 3 units last night and took my am down by the same amount this morning. I'm dealing with three shots/day right now -- it's the insulin hat trick.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.