Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bishop

diet soda and BG

Bishop

it's clear we all have different reactions from the same foods, but how have diet sodas impacted folks and the BG?  I came back from the gym from a very, very light workout (not being modest, it was the equivalent of a 40 minute walk IMO) and had a few cans Hansen's diet root beer (uses Splenda I think) and measured my BG a little later before bed and it was at 115.  i don't have a long history yet, but i've been under a 100 before bed for the most part recently.

granted, there are so many other factors (bigger than normal dinner today; possible liver dump from the "workout" but i doubt it, and so on), but i never thought to bother recording my diet soda consumption in my spreadsheet.  i don't drink it during work despite it being everywhere, but ironically drink it at home from time to time and had more than one this evening.

dowling gram

Since this root beer has 0 carbs I doubt that it would account for that small rise in BG. As you say other factors could contribute to it like a small liver dump from exercise. 40 minutes of exercise is not a light work out. You may think so because you probably do more at other times but the body's reaction to exercise is no different in you than in other people.

When you exercise at first you burn carbs. As the exercise becomes more intense the body switches to fat burning using glucose stored in the liver and fat. While exercise is good for a diabetic intense exercise usually raises BG.  It could be the timing of when you tested. If you had tested a while later you may have gotten your usual reading. Since that 115 falls with-in your acceptable limits I wouldn't worry about it.

miketurco

I've seen quite a few press releases regarding diabetes, obesity, etc. as related to diet soda. I'm not aware of a bg/diet soda study, but the articles and so forth are worth consideration.

Here's an interesting study on the ADA site (from 2009): http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.full

Here's an article on NPR (last year): http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/17/349270927/diet-soda-may-alter-our-gut-microbes-and-the-risk-of-diabetes

samuraiguy

Drinking artificial sweeteners over a long period in large amounts MAY change your gut flora and increase insulin resistance, but just two sodas in a set time period will impart NO BG raising elements. If there was even the slightest chance they did the government would be all over it if for no other reason lawsuits would have forced companies to place a BG warning for diabetics. That being said, as always, eat and drink to your meter. The only way you can know if it was the soda or not is eat relatively the same meal, do the same workout and then just drink the same amount of water as the root beers and then check--to be scientific you may need to repeat this several times especially if there are other variables involved like medications and/or insulin.

DeusXM

A 115 could be the same as 100 when it comes to meter error. Exercise can also raise your blood sugar, somewhat counterintuitively. Root beer can also sometimes contain caffeine, which can affect blood sugar. Either way, the impact seems to be fairly minimal so I wouldn't look at changing anything.

jwags

I used to drink diet soda, a lot. It never impacted my bg's but it did impact my kidney function. My urine albumin test came back much higher than normal. So I went cold turkey on all diet sodas about 9 months ago. I now drink sparking water or my homemade iced tea.

Bishop
Thanks for the responses.

Looking over and over at my spreadsheet for that day, I did consume more of my “processed” food due to missing lunch (meetings and work, not because of some diet) — had 2 Vega One Mocha shakes (13g total carbs each, but supposedly low sugar), Quest Bar with 3g net carbs advertised, but 21g total, and then 60 almonds - all spread out during the work day.  Then had a slightly larger than average dinner with 2 hard boiled eggs with Dijon, quality turkey slices with cheese, a bunch of cheese crisps, 1 string cheese.

FBG this morning was clearly higher than the recent trend (70s and 80s) at 90.

Finger prick choices, lance depth, and milking vigor levels are something I’m starting to log for giggles.

Bishop

Yup, I keep reading and hearing about this, even anecdotally or indirectly where the BG is impacted from an overstimulated appetite or craving which leads to more sugar consumption, and so on.  The folks over at http://www.weightandwellness.com/radio-show are big advocates against artificial sweeteners except for stevia, or so it seems.

predb4

Yup, I keep reading and hearing about this, even anecdotally or indirectly where the BG is impacted from an overstimulated appetite or craving which leads to more sugar consumption, and so on.  The folks over at http://www.weightandwellness.com/radio-show are big advocates against artificial sweeteners except for stevia, or so it seems.

i have not been able to detect spikes from sweetners.

i use mostly stevia but actually have at home sucralose, aspartame and sacharin.

i think sacharin tastes best with several foods and, now that the cancer scare is gone, i might switch to it altogether.

will take a while, i bought one pacakge with 6000 servings of stevia and one package with 6000 servings of sucarlose (yep, six thousand)

Bishop

Yeah, I doubt anyone would have spikes (or perhaps very, very few) - direct impact like that would catch like wildfire in terms of awareness.  I was thinking and more open to secondary impact around perhaps eating more due to stimulated appetite, or something along those lines.  The nutrition folks bring up gut bacteria changes.  I think just about all of the cancer scares are gone.  They've moved on to other scares.  =)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.