Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kit

Interesting doctor comment on statins

Kit

So, my mother went for a check-in with her doctor and he tried to push her on statins again.  She'd been on them before briefly and refuses to go on them again.  Her LDL is a little high (127) but her Trigs are low and her HDL is above 50.

To convince her he doesn't try to push statins, he said "I get a bonus at the end of every year for every patient who is on statins, and I never make it.

My first thought is, "who the *bleep* is giving that bonus"?

predb4

this reminds of a letter i received from a health insurer years ago.

the letter explained how our group was experiencing high rates of claim and that the re-insurer wanted a 120% increase in premiums to compensate for it.

our insurer, in his dilligence to give us the best rate, proudly stated that he had negotiated the increase down to 80%, thus saving us 40%..

Thanks man.

Ela

Wow.  But didn't we suspect this all along that doctors get bonuses for prescribing certain drugs? Statins in particular?

And this doctor?   Does he hear himself?  Wow again.

If doctors got bonuses for say - helping diabetics to get closer to normal BG - I'm SURE statins and "healthy carbs": would be abandoned pretty fast in their list of recommendations.  But it's not happening.  What a shame.

Orlando

So the Doctors get a bonus at the end of the year, and they are on the bottom rung. Just imagine how much those at the top are raking in.

jwags

I can't believe that a doctor actually admitted it. I think we all suspected something like that was going on. Umder the new ACA healthcare act, they have formed many Accountsble Care organizations. private practice docs are falling like flies. big hospitals are buying up all the small practices. These Accountable Care Organizations do have quotas they have to meet and evaluate their doctors based on how well they meet their goals. I guess my doc will never get a bonus with me.

Ela

Jwags, this is just outrageous!  Health"care" is not only just business, it's practically mafia!  In all other enterprises you at least have a price and a CHOICE and here we are mandatory should shell our money for whatever is the latest cash cow for the pharma and all others profiting!  And why hospitals don't compete and advertise their prices and services?  Because they are NOT AFFORDABLE!  That's why.  I wish THOSE prices were regulated somehow. 

jwags

My husband had an appointment just for his 6 month check up. They convinced him to get the pneumonia shot and he said yes. When we got the bill 30 days later they charged him $253 for the visit and $487.25 for pharmacy which I assume is rhe vaccinw. Insurance paid about half. I think I got my p euro is shot at Costco for $15. It is a racket, we have no choice. They do need to post prices at the front desk so you know what your dealing with. Most people have large deductibles now so when prices go up, we end up paying.

GrammaBear

Jwags, this is just outrageous!  Health"care" is not only just business, it's practically mafia!  In all other enterprises you at least have a price and a CHOICE and here we are mandatory should shell our money for whatever is the latest cash cow for the pharma and all others profiting!  And why hospitals don't compete and advertise their prices and services?  Because they are NOT AFFORDABLE!  That's why.  I wish THOSE prices were regulated somehow. 

Someone once posted on this forum a comment to the effect that the Medical Mafia was just like the real mafia and their desire was to protect their territory (profit margin).

Hammer

So, my mother went for a check-in with her doctor and he tried to push her on statins again.  She'd been on them before briefly and refuses to go on them again.  Her LDL is a little high (127) but her Trigs are low and her HDL is above 50.

To convince her he doesn't try to push statins, he said "I get a bonus at the end of every year for every patient who is on statins, and I never make it.

My first thought is, "who the *bleep* is giving that bonus"?

The pharmaceutical companies are giving him the bonus.  The doctor makes money on every name brand prescription he writes, that's why you'll see pharmaceutical reps constantly visiting his office.  They give him samples of their drugs to give out to patients, then if the patient does well on the samples, the doctor will write a prescription for the drug.

When you consider that these reps are making big salaries, the reps are giving away large amounts of free samples, the doctor gets a commission on the drug, and the pharmaceutical companies are making money off of the drug, you can see why many drugs cost so much.

Hammer

My husband had an appointment just for his 6 month check up. They convinced him to get the pneumonia shot and he said yes. When we got the bill 30 days later they charged him $253 for the visit and $487.25 for pharmacy which I assume is rhe vaccinw. Insurance paid about half. I think I got my p euro is shot at Costco for $15. It is a racket, we have no choice. They do need to post prices at the front desk so you know what your dealing with. Most people have large deductibles now so when prices go up, we end up paying.

The posting of prices has always been a pet peeve of mine.  All medical professionals, doctors, dentists, etc., should be required to advertise their prices outside their offices, as well as inside their offices.  They should be required to have large signs on the front of their offices telling you their fees, that way, a patient could shop around for the best price.  What other industry has you come in, treat you, then tell you what it costs?  They need to tell you before you are treated as to what it will cost, not afterwards.

Another pet peeve related to this....when you see a doctor, you are paying for his time.  If that time is 15 minutes, then you should be able to discuss whatever you want in that 15 minutes, but that's not how they do it.  They charge you for every thing you talk about.  If you see him and you discuss a problem with your foot, it costs you one fee.  If you discuss your foot and your neck, then you are charged more money, even though it's still only been 15 minutes.  The more things you discuss, the higher the fee.  Why?  I'm paying for his time, so the fee should be the same, regardless of what we discuss in that 15 minutes.  When you consider that a doctor could charge $100 for that 15 minutes, then he's making $400 an hour.  If a plumber came in and fixed his toilet in one hour and charged the doctor $400, the doctor would scream bloody murder, yet the doctor thinks it's okay if he charges that.  Both the doctor and the plumber have overhead....they both have to buy supplies, pay for their location, pay for insurances, pay their employees, so if the doctor feels he can charge $400 an hour, then so should the plumber.

GrammaBear

My husband recently came home from work and told me he had pain in his abdomen.  Since he rarely complains of pain, I decided we needed to get him to the ER.  He works 2nd shift and gets off work at 2:30 a.m.  The very first question they asked me when we walked into the ER was......"Do you have insurance"?  Never mind my husband was in terrible pain, they just wanted to make sure they were going to be paid before they ever did anything for him.  Turns out he needed his appendix to come out.  As of last week, the bills for that procedure are approaching $18,000 and he was only in the hospital less than 24 hours.

jwags

I have also heard they are asking anyone with a deductible to pay up front before they will even admit you. How many people have that amount in their checkbook?

ronmesnard

I can see no one assumed he was making a joke.  I think that is the only thing that makes sense.  Te concept is as ludicrous and Micro Soft giving away fortunes for just as insane reasons.   Statins are probably made by about 100 drug companies.  Who is going to give away billions of dollars for nothing.  People figure just because drugs are so expensive there is a huge profit in that market.  If that was the case there would be more and more drug companies.  The reality is the drug companies that come out with new drugs is a shrinking group.  There is only a handful in the US.  To become a Dr you need to have more intelligence that to tell patients that they are doing something unethical if not illegal.

Hammer maybe you should shop around for a Dr 

ronmesnard

patty you do know that is the most common side effect of statins and the one that gave statins the bad rep so this is pretty old news.  The only new news is that the pain was mistaken for diabetic neuropathy instead of fibromyalgia.   The worst part of this side affect is it was not listed as a side effect.  My wife suffered with the pain for a few years before someone blamed statins.  The pain went away after she stopped taking them.  

BTW... She is now taking a small dose of a short lived statin at bed time and her cholesterol is back under control.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.