Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

art

Quinoa

art

Did a search and didn't come up with much so I ask.....

Quinoa.. Good? Bad?

I read the label and it's high carb by my definition.

Friend says it's low on the glycemic index. So good. 

Art

jwags

I used Tom at a lot of quinoa before diabetes as a vegetarian. It is a seed and a complete source of protein. But it does have a lot of carbs, so let your meter tell you if it works for you. It is a little tricky to cook. I like to add spicy veggies to it to give it flavor otherwise it is really bland.

Moonpie

I sometimes will make a small amount & mix it with veg, if we are going on a picnic & a walk, I figure I will walk off the carbs. Best to test it with your meter. It is Ok, nothing that special, as far as taste, it is more important to vegans, who have limited choices for proteins.

predb4

quinoa tastes like a 4 letter word.

for that amount of carbs, i will eat icecream instead.

buy a small package and try it.

jwags

I hate auto correct. it thinks I mean something else. You do have to add lots of spices to make it taste decent. I don't know if it is worth the effort. I prefer cauliflower rice.

princesslinda

I tried it, was not impressed. My blood sugar did okay, I don't think I ate enough to cause a problem.  It LOOKs good, but you'd have to add a lot to it to give it flavor.  The chicken stock, garlic and onions I tried didn't do very much.

fjordscape

I love quinoa. It's the most nutritious food, having a perfect amino acid profile, and it cooks in only 20 minutes. I flavor it with soy sauce and lots of Parmesan cheese. Sometimes I use ungrated Parmesan. 

The grains being tiny makes them hard to mash with the molars. That's why I prefer to slightly overcook. I use two parts water to one part quinoa. When the pot comes to a boil, it's like with spaghetti, you have to be there to turn the heat down to a simmer so the broth doesn't boil over. 

The grains are shaped like hockey pucks, and there's a thing that wraps around the side. When it comes to a boil, all the rings all break away from the disks and rise on the froth. 

jwags

When I first cooked them those little tails grossed me out. I think the trick is to add lots of salty broth, soy sauce, etc. I like the parmesan cheese idea. My vegetarian daughter cooks it a lot.

I think for the carbs I would prefer to cook red skinned potatoes which I do OK with.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.