Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob43

Drinking Cranberry Juice for the Kidneys.

Rob43

Is it true Diabetics should drink a glass of Cranberry juice a week? I have a friend that works in a nursing home and she says they give one glass of regular Cranberry juice a week for their Diabetic Patients to help flush out their kidneys. She thinks Cranberry juice has natural sugar and not the same as regular sugar.

jwags

Natural sugar has the same effect as other sugar. All fruit juice is bad for diabetics. I have heard people use cranberry juice for urinaryninfections but not kidneys. Most nursing homes and assisted living places really don't manage their patients diabetes very well. My dad lived in AL the last 4 years of his life and I was astonished by what they fed him, juice, potatoes, bread, desserts, low fat everything and tons of fruit. Oh, and they only tested his bgs 2 x a week, none after meals.

TX_Clint

Sadly things like this keep the Nursing home kill rate up. :( And they call it dying of natural causes! Yep, died of good ole natural sugars.

predb4

the nurse is ignorant.

http://www.bdcwire.com/ocean-spray-to-fda-cranberry-juice-tastes-terrible-without-sugar/

Ocean Spray to FDA: Cranberry Juice Tastes Terrible Without Sugar

HBO’s John Oliver claimed on his show last night that cranberries “are nature’s most disgusting berry.”

Oliver makes reference to an official letter to the FDA from Ocean Spray, asking for an exemption because “…cranberries… are naturally low in sugar, giving them a distinctly tart, astringent, and even unpalatable taste.”

But cranberries are hardly the only food with health benefits, and Ocean Spray’s drinks have more than a spoonful of sugar — an 8 oz. serving of their 100% Juice Cranberry (No Sugar Added!) has 28 grams of sugar, or a little over five-and-a-half teaspoons.

TX_Clint

I'll take a glass of Cabernet... heck it's the same color so I've matched their scientific reasoning. And it actually is good for you.

princesslinda

You can buy cranberry pills.  We recommend these to our patients who suffer from frequent urinary tract infections. 

jwags

I use the pills at the first sign of a UTI. From what I observed with both my parents at Assited Living that the medical care was provided by nurse's assistants not real nurses. My sister was there once when the nurse assistant came in to test my dads blood sugar. She had no idea how to use the lancet and stabbed him 6 times and couldn't get the meter to work. Finally my sister told her to get out. My parent's paid thrum they nose to live there and got very little medical care.

DeusXM

Unsweetened cranberry juice is undrinkable because it is very, very tart. All cranberry juice is sweetened. in fact, most cranberry juice contains very little 'natural' sugar and a lot of 'added' sugar (although it's worth noting that that your body can't tell the difference. All sugar is 'natural', they squish it out of plants).

However, cranberry juice is the only fruit juice I regularly drink. Why? Because there's plenty of 'light' versions out there sweetened not with sugar, but with artificial sweeteners. 'Diet' cranberry juice is very low in carbs and packed with vitamins. It is the one exception to the 'juice is usually bad for you' rule, although any more than 250ml a day and I feel like I'm peeing razor blades because it is very acidic once you've, er, processed it.

It also goes great with vodka...

Sobriquet

I do drink a kind of unsweetened cranberry juice in that I get what they call "Mark" in German- it's a kind of nectar I guess, thicker than juice- and add it to sparkling water. I find that the tartness is actually quite nice if I get the juice to water ratio right.

I guess if you wanted to, you could add stevia or similar to it, but I don't. But then I can also eat lemons these days.

And I agree on the vodka!

ronmesnard

I could not agree more with the previous comments.  Our chatty members know what they are talking about.  In matters concerning diabetes, I think they are better informed than your average GP.  I see this from some of my diabetic friends who are too lazy to acquire competent docs or maybe have to live within their health plan.  With this disease, what you do not know can cripple you while you think everything is going fine.   

'Natural sugar' is only a bit safer if it is mostly fructose.  Fructose converts to glucose slower than most starches.  So it is better for you (low GI)  but it is still a carb.  There is also talk that too much Fructose can be bad for you but common sense says a few berries are not going to do anything.  Most 'natural sugar' is about 50/50 like table sugar though usually it has a little more fructose than glucose.   The best part of 'natural sugar' isn't the sugar but is that it is in a low sugar, by weight, and high fiber food. 

Actually water is great at flushing out kidneys.  Most of us could stand to drink more water.  I wonder why the nurse thought diabetics need more flushing than others.  Maybe it is a concern over metformin.  Why we really need is to make sure our blood pressure doesn't spike when we get angry.  That is a serious concern for diabetics and our kidneys.  It is a near certainty that most diabetic complications occur from when we experience a blood pressure spike along with a blood sugar spike. Preventing this is a science in its self.   

Peggy_TX

You can buy cranberry pills.  We recommend these to our patients who suffer from frequent urinary tract infections. 

My mom was suffering from near constant UTIs...  as soon as one would clear up, she'd get another

I put her on 2 cranberry tabs/day and it has almost eliminated the UTIs

But she's a diabetic.   So it's PILLS -- not JUICE

JanetP

I like Clint's approach.  I just wish I weren't allergic to the sulfites in wine. . .*sigh* . . . I do miss a good red.

NO kind of sugar is safe for a diabetic.  Fructose or not.  I have tried using coconut palm sugar because of it's lower GI.  It makes a kick-@$$ pumpkin cheesecake but does not play well with my blood sugar.

Anything that goes into your mouth has to be converted into glucose before the cells can use it.  Organic chemistry 101, see Krebs cycle.

Wanna know how many CNA's I have met who spent their working lives in nursing homes and then tried to pass themselves off as "nurses"?  don't get me started.

And I love cranberries.  I would love to find a diet cranberry juice that doesn't taste nasty if anyone could suggest a brand.

I have tried to use dried cranberries in baking, going for the ones that have "reduced sugar".  No luck there with the blood sugar spikes, too.

DeusXM

Fructose converts to glucose slower than most starches

And there's a good reason why. Doesn't your body need to actually convert fructose into fat first before it can then be metabolised?

mzteacher

Janet I enjoy the Ocean Spray Diet cranberry blend drinks. They are only 2 carbs per 8 oz. They are as close to juice as I get. They have a days worth of vitamin C per glass. There are several Ilke. Lately I have been drinking the cran-cherry. The diet are low carb not the reduced sugar or light. Have you tried these? when going into the hospital for a planned surgery I even brought a bottle with me. Sure beats their apple juice option! I have to go to a different store than my regular one to get some flavors I like.

TX_Clint

I have diet cranberry, diet cranberry grape, and diet V8 tropical in my pantry... all 2g carbs per 8oz. I have 4 oz. every morning with my pills. Don't get me wrong. I love my coffee but taking pills with coffee just gags me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.