Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CandaceV

Pain control for T2

CandaceV

Hi,

When I was first diagnosed T2, my doctor told me to stop taking Ibuprofen, as it could damage my kidneys, so I stopped.  This was 4 years ago and I haven't taken anything for pain since.

For the past week, I've had severe pain in my left groin/hip area.  With the holiday, I wasn't able to get an appointment with my new doctor until tomorrow.  I've been taking 800 mg. of Ibuprofen twice/day because without it, I just cannot walk.  I have degenerative disk disease, it may or may not be related to the pain I'm having.  I'll ask for an x-ray of my hip to see if arthritis can be ruled out.  I'll get his opinion on Ibuprofen and diabetes, but I'm curious what other T2's take for severe pain.  Narcotic are out for me - unless I want to go through life as a zombie. 

Does anyone here take Rx doses of Ibuprofen safely?  My a1C is 5.1 and my kidney function is normal.  Thanks.

jwags

My husband has been diabetic for 18 years and has arthritis in his hip and lower back. His doctor told him to take Motrin, 800 mg. I think Motrin is Ibeuprofin.

NoraWI

I don't think the ibuprofen cautions are limited to those with diabetes. Long term use of ibuprofen and large doses of it damage the liver. Check this out with your new doctor it may be that the old one who told you to drop taking ibuprofen had a misunderstanding of its effects.

SueL4

Candace,

I don't take ibuprofen so I can't help, but wanted to say congratulations on your weight loss.

Sue

Halves&pieces

I can't answer your question for sure because I really don't know about the "safely" aspect. I do have arthritis in my lower back, and a pinched nerve that gets re-injured at the drop of a hat. I need the ibuprofen when I need it, and when the nerve gets pinched I'll immediately take diclophenac (voltren), get off my feet if possible, and apply a cold compress to reduce inflammation.

I only take the diclophenac when the nerve gets injured, and I don't take ibuprofen on a regular basis. Artie hurts everyday in the AM, but settles down after an hour or so upon wakeup and moving around. Walking everyday has, imo, helped lessen the pain and decreased the frequency of the pinched nerve event.

Please report back here what your doctor says. Good luck.

macksvicky

I take ibuprofen rarely, but for knee pain I take Tramadol, it's non narcotic and helps keep me walking. It is available through an RX but it's a great alternative for those of us who do not like the effects of narcotics, or can tolerate them (I think it works better too).

miketurco

I take something called Tramodol, which is generic for Ultram. It is a narcotic, but you don't get high taking it. You don't get tired, have problems driving, etc. And wow, the stuff works great. Pain. Gone.

You need a prescription, so ask your doctor.

Seagal

As with all drugs, sometimes the risks outweigh the benefits for those of us in pain he*l.

I just took my first tramadol and hope I don't get seizures, stop breathing or any number of the other side effects.  If it doesn't work for my knee pain (replacement surgery next month), I will go back to the Norco.  All of this stuff can affect the liver & kidneys, so it is best to keep on top of any necessary bloodwork.

Before my knee got too bad, aspirin worked really well, but there again, one can have stomach problems. 

macksvicky

Most of those side effects are from folks that take quite a bit more than they are supposed to. Way back when it was 1st prescribed I looked it up on google and found sites with instructions on how to get high...I only take 1 at a time, those people were taking 8 at a time, or crushing them and snorting them. Stupid!!!! Of course those same sites also included idiots that had been doing a bunch at a time who indeed did have seizures. Well, duh!!! Nowhere on my bottle does it say I can take 8 at a time, nor does it mention anything about crushing them and snorting the powder up my nose. Ya can't fix stupid.

macksvicky

LOL, maybe they were reading 6 every 1 hour ? You could kill a person by knowing you're having seizures by taking a a bunch then put it on a website to only take 8 to hopefully avoid having a seizure. One person couldn't understand why he got so messed up, he only took 200 mg the 1st time he tried this. Like I said, I take 1 and my dosage is 50 mg. I can't imagine taking 4!!! Those websites with instructions should not be allowed to be running. Too many morons are more than happy to duplicate the stupidity of the 1st moron. LOL

Ela

I take Ibuprofen when needed and actually it's anti-inflammatory drug, so while it may have some side effects, it has other beneficial properties besides.pain relieve. 

And doctors just baffle me - take statins despite their known side effects, take BP medication for "protection" even if you don't have high BP, take Invokana despite possibility of UTI and kidney damage, but things like Ibuprofen is restricted (along with the test strips)!  I guess sales people don't knock on their doors pushing to prescribe it.

miketurco

I've never had a problem with tramadol. Neither has my son or my wife. But that's just three people.

Note that you have to titrate your dosage. 

I was taking 25mg (as needed) for neck pain. After a while I had to take that up to 50. When I hurt my shoulder, though, I had to titrate up to two 100mg dosages/day. 

Think of pain relief as being similar to "sugar relief." If your bg trends up, you don't just increase your basil by ten units. That's looking for trouble! What you do is up your insulin by a small amount every three days. Same thing with Tramadol. If 25mg isn't working, you have to increase the dosage gradually.

Here's some additional information on how to titrate this drug: http://www.drugs.com/dosage/tramadol.html

As far as I'm concerned, it's a miracle drug. I take a pill or two, and in  hour the pain is gone. No side effects. That's just me, though. There are horror stories out there. And like any medication, listen to your doctor, do your own research and use your common sense.

(Just my .02)

Mike

CandaceV

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

My dog was on Tramadol for cancer pain, I think it worked well for him.

The pain came on all at once, not gradually worse after time, so I think it's an injury.  But, how do you injure yourself and not know it?  The only thing I've done differently is sitting on the patio for hours at a time soaking up sun, in a wrought iron mesh chair, with my legs crossed.  The chair in the living room is heavily upholstered, and I sit with a pillow behind my back and my feet up on a foot stool.  I've sat in that chair like that for nearly 5 years without a problem. 

Now that I've lost all the weight, sitting on an iron chair without some kind of pad and crossing my legs apparently is what caused it.  I've had right groin pain before, but that resolved with weight loss, and the cause of that pain per a Myelogram was L4 crushing the right side of L5 in my spine.  I believe this doctor will perform the right tests to find the cause - more spine degeneration with nerve impingement or tendinitis from the iron chair.  I'm pretty sure I can rule out hip arthritis.  I had an MRI on the right hip and my ortho said it was beautiful, so hopefully, the left is pretty too :)

I'll report back tomorrow after my appointment, thanks again everyone.

dowling gram

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

My dog was on Tramadol for cancer pain, I think it worked well for him.

The pain came on all at once, not gradually worse after time, so I think it's an injury.  But, how do you injure yourself and not know it?  The only thing I've done differently is sitting on the patio for hours at a time soaking up sun, in a wrought iron mesh chair, with my legs crossed.  The chair in the living room is heavily upholstered, and I sit with a pillow behind my back and my feet up on a foot stool.  I've sat in that chair like that for nearly 5 years without a problem. 

Now that I've lost all the weight, sitting on an iron chair without some kind of pad and crossing my legs apparently is what caused it.  I've had right groin pain before, but that resolved with weight loss, and the cause of that pain per a Myelogram was L4 crushing the right side of L5 in my spine.  I believe this doctor will perform the right tests to find the cause - more spine degeneration with nerve impingement or tendinitis from the iron chair.  I'm pretty sure I can rule out hip arthritis.  I had an MRI on the right hip and my ortho said it was beautiful, so hopefully, the left is pretty too :)

I'll report back tomorrow after my appointment, thanks again everyone.

This sounds to me like the same thing I have and for the same reason. I lost weight too and I don't know if sleeping on that side or Sitting on hard chairs caused it but I developed a burning pain in my thigh and groin area. It wasn't constant but it was getting worse so I saw my doctor and found out I had bursitis. We have bursae(little lubrication sacs) all over our body where we have joints and muscles converge. The help lubricate the joints but occasionally they become inflamed from overuse of the joint or other reasons.

My doctor recommended Ibuprofen and a physiotherapist. I've had 1 treatment yesterday and she gave me exercises to do to to strengthen the muscles of the hip and thigh. She says with the treatments and exercised it should be completely cured. I have complete faith in her. Her treatments and my exercises completely cured my iliotibial band injury after my hip replacement.

When I lost weight I likely lost a bit of muscle too and maybe that is why the bursa became inflamed. The same thing may have happened to you

CandaceV

Thanks, appreciated!  Off to google it...

This sounds to me like the same thing I have and for the same reason. I lost weight too and I don't know if sleeping on that side or Sitting on hard chairs caused it but I developed a burning pain in my thigh and groin area. It wasn't constant but it was getting worse so I saw my doctor and found out I had bursitis. We have bursae(little lubrication sacs) all over our body where we have joints and muscles converge. The help lubricate the joints but occasionally they become inflamed from overuse of the joint or other reasons.

My doctor recommended Ibuprofen and a physiotherapist. I've had 1 treatment yesterday and she gave me exercises to do to to strengthen the muscles of the hip and thigh. She says with the treatments and exercised it should be completely cured. I have complete faith in her. Her treatments and my exercises completely cured my iliotibial band injury after my hip replacement.

When I lost weight I likely lost a bit of muscle too and maybe that is why the bursa became inflamed. The same thing may have happened to you

dowling gram

Candice--If it does turn out to be brusitis try putting a bit of heat on it when it's really sore but be careful it's not too hot. I heat a small rice bag in the microwave for a minute and put it on  my groin with my clothes on and that seems to give enough heat to keep the pain and burning to a minimum. I also find wearing loose clothes so you are not pressing on that area helps

dowling gram

Rice in a sock, nuke for two minutes. That's how I do it.

It depends on your microwave and the size of the bag. 2 minutes would be too long in my microwave for a small bag. It would result in a burn. Your microwave must have a lot less power than mine or your sock holds a lot of rice. Microwaves are not like ovens. The amount of stuff you put in them and the power of your microwave dictates the time it takes to heat whatever it is.

miketurco

I haven't done this in some time so maybe I'm off on the two minute thing. Also, I put a lot of rice in a big sock. 

Seagal

Mike, thanks for the link on the Tramadol.  I keep forgetting I am a geriatric and reading that info was interesting.  Everything seems to be done different for us old folks :)

CandaceV

Doctor says it's either my hip or nerve impingement from a bulging disk.  Had a hip x-ray, results tomorrow.  He manipulated the bursas, no pain. 

I came home and started my McKenzie exercises for my back that push the disks back where they belong and off nerves...my pain is reduced by about 75%.  I used the same protocol for a blown disk in 2002 and it immediately moved the pain out of my leg to the middle of my spine where it belonged until it healed.  Weird that I have no back pain this time, but I just proved nerve impingement.

He gave me 800 mg. Ibuprofen and 50 mg. Tramadol prescriptions, and said Ibuprofen is safe for diabetics.  I want to wait until tomorrow to start the meds so I can see where my pain is when I get up.

Thanks again for the responses.  Here's more information on McKenzie - it's miraculous -

http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/exercise/mckenzie-therapy-mechanical-low-back-pain

He also said I'm his only diabetic patient that reduced a1C to normal and wants my story, since this is only my 2nd appointment with him.  He gave me his assistant's email and said to send it to her, he's highly interested on how I did it.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  He's a keeper.

macksvicky

Candice, I'm glad everything is starting to look up for you, having constant pain is no good on many levels. And I'm a firm believer that anything with the name McKenzie in it just has to be good  :lol: 

Seagal

Candace, are you to take the tramadol and the ibuprofen together?  I just started tramadol (thanks to Vicky) and can't imagine taking anything with it.

Amazing what some exercises will do for us, thanks for the information on McKenzie.

Sounds like you made a real impression on the doctor.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.