Diabetes forums
  • Welcome To Diabetes Forums!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today to contribute and support the site.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CandaceV

Pain control for T2

CandaceV

I take the Ibuprofen first, wait 2 hours, then take the Tramadol.  I feel no differently taking Tramadol, it's not like I'm taking a narcotic at all.  Ibuprofen doesn't give me any side effects either. 

McKenzie information was given to me after a car accident in 2002 by a physical therapist.  On the first session with her, she moved the pain out of my leg to the middle of my back in about 5 minutes. 

The new doctor seems to be a good match.  Time will tell.

Candace, are you to take the tramadol and the ibuprofen together?  I just started tramadol (thanks to Vicky) and can't imagine taking anything with it.

Amazing what some exercises will do for us, thanks for the information on McKenzie.

Sounds like you made a real impression on the doctor.

GAgirl

I ake Ibup. When I started taking Tylenol my doc said it was too bad for the liver, and with all my latest knee surgery, etc. they gave me presciption Ibup. and I was fine. I mena, we are going to hurt our organs taking any meds...I take what works better and for me it's Ibup.

CandaceV

I've only taken 1 Ibuprofen today and 1 Tramadol 2 hours later, it controlled the pain all day.  This evening it's a little touchy, but nothing like the pain I've had until this point.  Still doing the spine exercises. 

Thanks again to everyone...I truly appreciate the advice and support.  Doctor won't have results of hip x-ray until tomorrow, I have a feeling an MRI is in my future.  It's time that clicking noise I've had in my hip for 25 years when bending over is finally diagnosed too.

art

My doctor describes ibuprofen as death in a plastic bottle.

Murder on your kidneys.

Take Tylenol. Easier on your system and just as effective.

If you do need more relief then Tramadol.

If that doesn't work you need a doctor from an ER.

Art

CandaceV

A report came out today about NSAIDS like Ibuprofen causing strokes and heart attacks.  I'm down to 1-800 mg. once/day and 1-Tramadol 2 hours later.  The exercises give me about 30 min. of relief.  Getting up and down off the toilet is torture, so I had my husband bring the toilet extender in from the garage that he used after his knee replacement.

I recently lost a good friend to Tylenol - liver damage.  She took only the recommended dose for 2 weeks after foot surgery (bunion).  5 weeks later she was dead.  Her husband hired an attorney.  She wasn't a drinker and wasn't on any other drugs for any reason.

I don't want anything stronger, I've been through pain management, they made me a zombie, never again.  But I do appreciate your reply :)

My hip x-ray came back negative.  So it's either my back (likely), or a muscle/ligament/tendon injury.  However, I would KNOW I injured any of those, so I'm banking on the back.  It's heck getting old!

I suppose I'll need an MRI and another myelogram to find the problem, like last time.  They'll recommend surgery, and by that time, it will have gone away, like last time.  Hopefully.

I had groin pain on the other side in 2002, but losing weight cured it.  That sure won't work this time.

My doctor describes ibuprofen as death in a plastic bottle.

Murder on your kidneys.

Take Tylenol. Easier on your system and just as effective.

If you do need more relief then Tramadol.

If that doesn't work you need a doctor from an ER.

Art

Halves&pieces

My hip x-ray came back negative.  So it's either my back (likely), or a muscle/ligament/tendon injury.  However, I would KNOW I injured any of those, so I'm banking on the back.  It's heck getting old!

I suppose I'll need an MRI and another myelogram to find the problem, like last time.  They'll recommend surgery, and by that time, it will have gone away, like last time.  Hopefully.

I was offered corticosteroid injections and took a round of PREDNISONE pills that gave me some of the worst side effects I have ever experienced. Had to stop taking them before finishing all the pills......something that is not recommended. I will NEVER take that Rx again. This was prior to diabetes dx.

I have had injections elsewhere in the past but not in the lower back. Had one in the shoulder blade area last year that raised my FBS 10 ~ 15 points for a couple of weeks, that really helped what I believe was a pulled muscle.  I would ask about the injections before doing surgery, but that's my own preference and I don't know if that would be a permanent fix, or what your wishes are. 

Losing the extra weight and walking has really helped me with the pinched nerve. It's still there, the nerve in my right leg, especially at the knee, will hurt periodically but it's not as bad now and I've gained experience treating it. I hope it doesn't return to where it was before as that was a pain level requiring attention.

Good luck, and yeah, getting old is a B-TCH.

Seagal

Tylenol (acetaminaphen (sp) is also one to watch and not go over the recommended dose or there will be liver/organ damage.  I don't think there is any OTC pain reliever that won't cause problems if over-done.

Guess we all have to choose our own poison.  I really appreciated the steroid knee shots until they were no longer effective.  At least all my liver and kidney tests were normal after my last knee surgery and many different pain meds, so that is comforting.

Candace, good news on your negative hip x-ray!

CandaceV

No steroids for me unless it's life or death.  I would need to be knocked out cold to get injections in my back, or anywhere else for that matter.  I fear pain to the point of anxiety attacks.  My mom had the injections in her back, didn't help her, and we have the same problem in the same area.  I wouldn't have surgery unless I'm falling down or losing control of bowel or bladder.  In 2006, a neurosurgeon told me he could make me 30% better.  I passed.  He actually told me the purpose of spine surgery is not to relieve pain, but to keep a person walking or keep control of the bowels or bladder.  If pain relief happened, it wasn't intentional!  Yikes...

I was offered corticosteroid injections and took a round of PREDNISONE pills that gave me some of the worst side effects I have ever experienced. Had to stop taking them before finishing all the pills......something that is not recommended. I will NEVER take that Rx again. This was prior to diabetes dx.

I have had injections elsewhere in the past but not in the lower back. Had one in the shoulder blade area last year that raised my FBS 10 ~ 15 points for a couple of weeks, that really helped what I believe was a pulled muscle.  I would ask about the injections before doing surgery, but that's my own preference and I don't know if that would be a permanent fix, or what your wishes are. 

Losing the extra weight and walking has really helped me with the pinched nerve. It's still there, the nerve in my right leg, especially at the knee, will hurt periodically but it's not as bad now and I've gained experience treating it. I hope it doesn't return to where it was before as that was a pain level requiring attention.

Good luck, and yeah, getting old is a B-TCH.

CandaceV

Sometimes, you just gotta relieve the pain.  My husband had a knee replacement in March because the shots stopped working.  He was really drugged up too after surgery and for a couple months after, but his last liver/kidney tests were normal too.

I knew it wasn't the hip joint, my last Dexa scan came in at 4.  1 is normal.  The tech asked me if I was eating rocks.  Nope, just have very strong bones, runs in the family.  There are a few family members with hip issues, but one was caused by obesity and standing at work, the other by a football injury.  Hip arthritis doesn't come on over night.  I suppose the doctor had to rule out the simple stuff first, then shuffle me off to the ortho.

No improvement in pain today, maybe tomorrow.  I sure am tired of "resting"...why couldn't this happen last winter when it was 20 below outside?

Tylenol (acetaminaphen (sp) is also one to watch and not go over the recommended dose or there will be liver/organ damage.  I don't think there is any OTC pain reliever that won't cause problems if over-done.

Guess we all have to choose our own poison.  I really appreciated the steroid knee shots until they were no longer effective.  At least all my liver and kidney tests were normal after my last knee surgery and many different pain meds, so that is comforting.

Candace, good news on your negative hip x-ray!

Seagal

I had steroid shots for a long time in my right knee before that replacement and also in the left knee.  The last shot I had was the most painless I ever had, in fact there was NO pain...who knew?  The dr. said there is no need for it to hurt and if it does, it is being done wrong.  Maybe so, but who is going to tell that to my previous sports med doc :)

I know what you mean about "rest", it is so boring and I should be reading all the books I've put on hold or taking up painting again, or something productive, but I'm just a bit cranky about stuff :wacko:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.